PDA

View Full Version : Superhub poor wifi speeds

mam
27-10-2011, 13:08
Hi,

I am some advice regarding my poor wifi speeds via my superhub
I have the settings set at 2.4Ghz,auto for channel and 300 Mbps

The only devices that connect are my iphone and ipad.

According to a speedtester I downloaded for the ipad,my speeds vary from 3-21 Mbps.

Is this normal for the superhub,do I need to change some of the settings?

Also I have read about using your old router for wifi,via bridge mode
I have a Netgear range max wpn824 v2

Any help appreciated please.

Thanks

roger skillin
27-10-2011, 15:27
You're on wifi so you're never going to get great speeds, i don't get higher than 17 Mbps through my wifi, what speed are you getting through a wired connection?
and what speed broadband do you have?

mam
27-10-2011, 16:27
Hi,
Im on the 50mb service,wired depends on time of day,but at the mo....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1558537383.png

When i used my router i was getting similar speeds to a wired conection,

thanks

Mick Fisher
27-10-2011, 18:15
I'm on 30meg and get a 30meg download on wireless with the band set to 145. I find 145mbps to be more stable than 300mbps however I don't know what effect 145mbps has when you are on 50meg.

Anyway.......

Try installing InSSider (http://www.metageek.net/get_inssider_today/) and manually go through all the channels until you find the one that gives you the lowest RSSI value. Note that all the RSSI values are negative. The lowest RSSI indicates the strongest signal. -29 is the best I can get and I have loads of competing routers around me.

In spite of R30 I find that the longest the superhub will stay up for me is 14 days it will then either reset or if it stays up it will lose the wireless completely, wired connection then runs very slowly and on accessing the HTML interface I find this too is very slow to react. As always it's fixed by power cycling. It seems that the memory leak may not be entirely fixed.

If you have a decent router already then modem mode will probably be the best way to go.

Blackened
27-10-2011, 18:37
FWIW, I get bobbins speed from the hub to my iPhone and iPad too. Makes no difference if I use 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz (that the iPad should love), 54, 145 or 300 mbps. It's just rubbish, even when I'm sat on top of it. Laptops and Xboxes in the house are fine (in the most part) though.
As your iDevices are your only means of connecting wirelessly, can you be sure you've no interference from anywhere? I had our hub out of the way in the kitchen once over and if you were on the wrong side of it, it would crap out. Reason: big stainless steel fridge freezer next to it :)

Although not the point, I don't usually download on the iPhone/iPad anyway so it doesn't worry me. Youtube can be a drag though..

miolin69
21-11-2011, 11:26
To get the maximum possible speed, choose a WPA2 Personal password. If you have an AirPort Base Station, your only password choices for 802.11n networks are WPA/WPA2 Personal and WPA2 Personal. The latter option is the recommended one. If you have more than one device connected to the router, the former option can still result in slower speeds.