PDA

View Full Version : uBR / Linecard upgrades?

greyhairbadger
22-10-2011, 10:12
Hi all,

I am currently waiting on resolution of F001639589. From what I can gather, this involves a network upgrade to alleviate congestion.

Out of interest, does anyone know any more detail regarding the nature of the planned upgrades? I wonder if they are upgrading linecards? - (Cisco MC3GX60Vs)? Or maybe one or more new chassis?

Or perhaps the planned work is even more extensive - I believe that F001639589 has been published for at least 6 months.

anybody got any thoughts / comments / idle speculation?

cheers,

Phil.

kwikbreaks
26-10-2011, 06:24
Obviously not. Why not ask over on the community forum what the situation is.

I do know that if the fault they've raised for my local congestion is still unresolved in 6 months time I'll already have downgraded to 10Mbps and be waiting on the Infinity rollout in my area or if lucky already gone. The days of no competition from BT are slowly becoming history so if VM want to survive they'll need to upgrade the network faster than they upgrade the advertising for a change.

horseman
26-10-2011, 11:19
Hi all,

….

cheers,

Phil.

Given VM never disclose any usefully detailed elaboration then idle speculation is all you're likely to get. Minor exceptions being a few (ex)staff members may be able to "hint-off-record" perhaps from infor derived from their previous sources? ;)

Unless it's an extensive new build I'd have thought it's highly improbable for a new chassis (and somewhat ludicrous anticipating 2) when tripling port density by replacing some/all existing lower density linecards would more than suffice. If that F00 has been open since midyear then perhaps end Oct target or pre-Xmas is still a feasable/realistic expectation.
However "uncombining" upstream and re-segmenting may involve much more work on RF side, perhaps replacing some line actives,blowing fibre deeper, upgrading some street cabs even….

Could involve therefore some planning permission and possibly explains why the targets slip as until any physical infrastructure is sorted/tested then CMTS upgrade would I think likely have to slip accordingly. :(

Welshchris
26-10-2011, 12:58
Hi all,

I am currently waiting on resolution of F001639589. From what I can gather, this involves a network upgrade to alleviate congestion.

Out of interest, does anyone know any more detail regarding the nature of the planned upgrades? I wonder if they are upgrading linecards? - (Cisco MC3GX60Vs)? Or maybe one or more new chassis?

Or perhaps the planned work is even more extensive - I believe that F001639589 has been published for at least 6 months.

cheers,

Phil.

linecard would be the most proberble bet.