PDA

View Full Version : 30M Speed help needed

cat666
20-10-2011, 11:40
Just had a Virgin engineer out and mentioned to him that I'm only getting 19MB when I pay for 30MB. I've been through all the advice on the forums, including reseting my TCP/IP. He plugged his laptop in, and got 30MB no issues so said it was something on my PC.

I've tried to update my network adaptor drivers, but it says it is up to date. I've repaired the network, reset the adaptor and had a little look at the advanced settings but all seem OK.

Has anyone had this issue before who can point me in the right area to look?

Thanks

kwikbreaks
20-10-2011, 12:26
I'm assuming wired - if not then it's the WiFi to blame.

Fist off are you doing exactly the same test the engineer did? Through the same kit? If not all bets are off as sources can vary in their ability to deliver 30Mbps.

One thing I've seen which can cause issues is the network card not being set to full duplex - take another look at those advance properties.

cat666
20-10-2011, 12:38
Yes it's wired, and yes the engineer used the same cable as me, just he got 30MB and I got 19MB.

Just set the duplex to 100mb full duplex (it was on auto negotiation) and now its fluctuating wildly between 6-19mb.

thenry
20-10-2011, 14:07
can you post up what results you get testing via > http://www.ovh.net/

cat666
20-10-2011, 14:15
Last Result:
Download Speed: 20139 kbps (2517.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 319 kbps (39.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 58 ms
Thu Oct 20 2011 14:15:06 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Like I said, the engineer plugged his laptop in, and got 30MB, so it seems something on my PC is limiting the speed.

thenry
20-10-2011, 14:20
could be anything. whats your set up like? what have and haven't you done configuration wise?

cat666
20-10-2011, 14:25
Superhub, wired connection to a desktop.

I've removed the network and started again. I've tried to update drivers for the network adaptor and although it is dated 2008, it says it is up to date. I downloaded TCPOptimizer and tried that. I changed it from auto duplex to full 100mb but that actually made it worse. I then downloaded the Virgin tools and ran that, says I have no virus scan (which I do) but said everything else was fine.

Other than that I did more research and found Vista used to limit TCP/IP by half but apparently SP 2 sorted that (which I have).

thenry
20-10-2011, 14:30
Whats your system specs?

Does your system lag a lot? does it respond quick to everyday use?

don't waste your time with VMs security software or tools. download ccleaner to clear junk. download MSE for free virus protection.

cat666
20-10-2011, 14:43
AMD Phenom 8550 Triple Core 2.2ghz with 3GB of RAM

Lags only on gaming, very quick to load.

I use CCleaner once a month and have Mcafee Virus Scan up to date and again, on a monthly scan. Also use Malwarebytes monthly for adware.

thenry
20-10-2011, 14:52
increase your use of CCleaner, unless you need temp files its a good idea clearing it more often.

the last time I assisted someone not getting max speed ended with the system locking up and needing a reboot/re-install which in turn fixed the issue. not saying your system needs a reboot but hey, couldn't be anything. may be someone else can assist you here

Milambar
20-10-2011, 14:55
Certain anti-virus and firewall packages are known for artificially affecting speed tests.

Try testing with anti-virus/firewall turned off, but dont forget to turn it back on again afterwards.

cat666
20-10-2011, 15:37
System all cleaned, still only 19MB, turned off Mcafee Firewall and Virus Scan, still 19MB. I'll just have to live with it, thanks for trying guys.

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Girlfriend has just got in, her laptop is slow to load and clogged up with crap, however she is getting 30MB too no issues!

thenry
20-10-2011, 15:43
bit of a long one but you could,

back up your docs to an external source

reboot/re-install the OS to default

install and configure you system before connecting to the net

cat666
20-10-2011, 15:51
Sorted it.

http://www.levinecentral.com/levinecentral/optimize-ool.html

Don't understand what I did but following step 2 has fixed it. If anyone can explain it I'd appreciate it, as I like to know what I'm doing, not just following blindly.

Thanks again

bomber_g
20-10-2011, 15:53
Hi there - If you see this issue when using a cable, does it do exactly the same using a wireless connection? Also how are you testing?

It might also be an idea to try pulling a file from one of the other machines on your LAN - if you see the same cap at 20 meg, it may be some kind of config issue. I'd also see if booting in safe mode with networking enabled gives the same results - this will tell you if it is a hardware or software issue.

regards

################################################## #########
never mind =)

changing the receive window size just allows your PC to accept more data in a TCP transfer without sending acknowledgments to the client you are recieving from

you've effectively told it your network stop being so conservative with bandwidth for the sake of data integrity.

thenry
20-10-2011, 15:59
Sorted it.

Don't understand what I did but following step 2 has fixed it. If anyone can explain it I'd appreciate it, as I like to know what I'm doing, not just following blindly.

Thanks again

I've never used that proggy but software such as advanced system optimizer, tune up utilities, avg tune up do similar things when optimizing the internet settings. the settings must of been extremely low which is strange as defaults should be ok handling 30Mb. Anyway good job :tu:

Milambar
20-10-2011, 18:54
Sorted it.

Thanks again

That program should only really have been necessary if you are running an older version of windows, such as XP or 2000.

Modern versions of windows will adjust their network settings automatically.

Glad you fixed it however.

bomber_g
20-10-2011, 23:32
That program should only really have been necessary if you are running an older version of windows, such as XP or 2000.

Modern versions of windows will adjust their network settings automatically.

Glad you fixed it however.

correct - but windows isn't very good at it (although the newer the version the better it is)

most linux builds are a lot better at handling TCP - MINT, Ubuntu etc are your friend if you need to do high speed file transfers regularly