PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Dropping SNR

Milambar
14-10-2011, 16:53
Ok, using a small script, Ive been logging my power levels and SNR. upon plotting them, its noted that the Power Levels are fluctuating between 6.8 and 6.2 on all channels.

I also notice that the SNR has been steadily dropping from just over 35 to just over 34(last night).

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/10/20.gif

All channels are exhibiting the same trend.

At the moment, Im online, but barely. Webpages keep timing out left right and center, and world of warcraft, msn, and skype keeps dropping my connection.

I gather that the problem is the steady drop in the SNR? What could be causing this? I'm dreading a need to call this in to technical support.

Milambar
14-10-2011, 19:11
Well, it dropped dead for an hour or so earlier. I braved the indian call center, and... Well, the guy had a liverpuddlan accent. \o/

Its a known issue, fault ref f001768857. Estimated time for a fix: 20th (UGH).

Just bought a topup for my vodafone usb stick, just in case.

Peter_
14-10-2011, 21:01
Well, it dropped dead for an hour or so earlier. I braved the indian call center, and... Well, the guy had a liverpuddlan accent. \o/

We are still here supposedly until the end of April after that who knows.

General Maximus
14-10-2011, 22:33
nice that you got an answer straight away rather than having to waste time jumping through hoops.

It is a damn shame Masque, more and more comanies are advertising UK call centres these days and it is sad to see VM going in the opposite direction

Angua
14-10-2011, 23:26
If it is any use if your SNR drops right off you could try Modem mode (worked for me whilst the fix was being done). :D

Peter_
15-10-2011, 05:51
It is a damn shame Masque, more and more comanies are advertising UK call centres these days and it is sad to see VM going in the opposite direction
Supposedly they are moving the jobs to Swansea but that is a few hundred miles from Liverpool, I think they will more likely go mainly offshore.

horseman
15-10-2011, 11:20
….. I think they will more likely go mainly offshore.

Retentions will need to increase their staff then! ;)

Sephiroth
15-10-2011, 11:55
Supposedly they are moving the jobs to Swansea but that is a few hundred miles from Liverpool, I think they will more likely go mainly offshore.

Nice of VM when there's so much unemployment in the UK.

Why don't they base the AP call centre team at home using VPN connexions? It will save money (no premises) and maybe wages could reflect reduced costs for staff. Initiatives like a 47 hour working week could make an economic difference as well as allowing VM to reduce dependence on the disliked (by its customers) offshore call centre.

I think offshore call centres are immoral in current circumstances.

General Maximus
15-10-2011, 17:45
absolutely dude, having UK call centres is a winner all round for providing more jobs, improving customer service and ultimately growing your customer base and creating more jobs again

monkey2468
15-10-2011, 18:52
Ok, using a small script, Ive been logging my power levels and SNR. upon plotting them, its noted that the Power Levels are fluctuating between 6.8 and 6.2 on all channels.

I also notice that the SNR has been steadily dropping from just over 35 to just over 34(last night).

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/10/20.gif

All channels are exhibiting the same trend.

At the moment, Im online, but barely. Webpages keep timing out left right and center, and world of warcraft, msn, and skype keeps dropping my connection.

I gather that the problem is the steady drop in the SNR? What could be causing this? I'm dreading a need to call this in to technical support.
Power levels and snr do vary over the course of the day and is normal, and your snr and power levels have not gone out of tolerance. The cables and amplifiers in the street do vary in characteristics throughout the day as the temperature changes.

Milambar
15-10-2011, 21:47
@monkey2468: I am aware of this, but the quite sudden drop also coincided with various problems, such as random disconnects etc, and a virgin media technical support agent acknowleged that there is a known ongoing problem in my area relating to signals (I even posted the fault reference number in post #2).

I wasn't panicing about nothing, I don't normally care about my power levels or SNR. As long as I have a trouble free connection, alls gravy. In this case, I didn't.

It seems to have stablized now, with all internet services functioning normally, for now.

paul nolan
30-10-2011, 12:17

I'd bet its cheap to employ people in Swansea at the moment. They used to be heavily reliant on Civil Service jobs there. But with the cuts, I'd bet Swansea Council will be tempting potential employers with cheap tax rates.

Peter_
30-10-2011, 12:21
I'd bet its cheap to employ people in Swansea at the moment. They used to be heavily reliant on Civil Service jobs there. But with the cuts, I'd bet Swansea Council will be tempting potential employers with cheap tax rates.
They are actually supposed to be getting an increase in their salary as they are being taken in house by Virgin Media.

The will be no incentive from Swansea council either as they already have a call centre which they own so quite wrong on that score.

If you had read the original thread regards the closure of the Liverpool site (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33681519-virgin-media-closing-albert-dock.html)you would not have posted the above post.:rolleyes: