PDA

View Full Version : 50M DS1 stream only

buckleb
14-10-2011, 17:45
Looking at my modem config (because of recent speed decrease), I notice that it is only using DS1. I could almost swear that it used to use DS1 to DS4.

Is this anything to worry about? Apart from the lower download speed (and the fact that gmail is slow to open lately) everything else *seems* to be OK.

Oh, the modem recently changed its IP address to one in the 94.169.x.x range, not sure if that's relevent though.

Based in Crawley and my connection has been stable for quite a while (touch wood!).

Thanks

Edit, screenshot attached:

Chrysalis
14-10-2011, 17:50
I would be amazed if you still getting full speeds on one channel (area must have extremely low utilisation).

On the 50mbit service thats defenitly a problem and you should report the fault.

buckleb
14-10-2011, 19:05
Will do.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Download speed is around 5.5MB/s as opposed to 6.5Mb/s, (and speed test is 41Mb as opposed to bang on 50Mb) so not the end of the world. I have no idea what the utilisation is around my neighbourhood but your comments suggest that it must be quite low!

buckleb
14-10-2011, 19:38
30 minutes after posting on the help and support forums, it's all returned to normal (after a week or so on one channel). Either somebody is on the ball, or its a massive coincidence.

Either way, it's all good again :)

sollp
14-10-2011, 20:06
Wouldn't be a config issue on the UBR after a re-seg maybe?

Jayster
14-10-2011, 23:26
Surely a restart of the modem would have fixed it no? When I restart my modem and router I often get stuck on BPI initialization and so check my modem page while I am restarting. Once I ended up only getting the first channel, connection worked as normal just only at about 41mbit/s. Another restart sorted it right out.

buckleb
14-10-2011, 23:38
I had restarted the modem a number of times but it still only showed the one channel being used. It was only after I'd posted in the support forums that all 4 channels came back (though I didn't get any kind of acknowledgement so perhaps it was a coincidence).

Prior to this the modem had not been restarted (as far as I know) for months, though I did at some point pick up a new IP address so unless that was pushed from VM there must have been a restart (maybe, I'm not exactly sure how else an IP address would change like that without a change of MAC address).