PDA

View Full Version : Superhub new superhub

basicfags
12-10-2011, 12:19
hi everyone just a little line about the new superhub and virgins customer services. on monday my old ambit modem appeared to die on me, i called cs and after 35 mins got through to a uk based cs operative who thought could solve the problem, told me he had, only to find out tues afternoon it was still broke.

rang back didn't bother messin this time and went straight through to retentions (increasingly becoming the only option where you get to speak to an actual person) gave my problem again and explained i had been on the phone an hour that morning trying to sort it out. the guy was very apologetic and put me through to a 2nd line support team based in liverpool, which was a refreshing and positive change.

the guy piddled about a bit but couldn't sort it untill i got home from work, so i could plug my laptop into the modem and check the upstream etc, so he arranged to call me back later in the evening.

good to his word he called me back at the arranged time and after more piddlin about decided i needed an engineer, (no upstream he said) now i like most people can't live without tinternet and had an idea. virgin had sent me a superhub a couple of months earlier and i had never used it, mainly because of comments i had read on here that, in polite terms it wasn't very good.

i had a quick blimp on here yesterday and it seemed with the new software on, it seemed to be ok. so, i plugged it in, the 2nd line guy activated it and away we went. the hub was on rev 19 of the software, we loaded the latest software r30 put the hub into modem mode and i crossed my fingers during the reboot.

well i have to say, it's all good!! so far, didn't have to touch or alter anything on my existing network = happy bunny. did a speed test though and i'm still only gettin 20 meg when i should be gettin 30. the 2nd line guy reckons my signal levels are a bit high, and that's why i'm only gettin 20.

find that hard to understand that a high signal level can slow your connection, and i'm half sure someone just has to flick a switch somewhere. but i'm willing to be enlightened by some clever sod on here..

so to sum up, customer services, a lot better than last time i had to call them although still big room for improvement especially on the dialer, it asked to press option 4 0r 5 to speak to a person and when i did it said oops you hit the wrong number, try again lol.

hardware, well time will tell but the superhub seems fine at the moment so it's all good.......;););)

kwikbreaks
12-10-2011, 12:28
Take a look at what your config is set to. I don't have a superhub so can't direct you exactly to the correct page in the GUI but it should be a link to something like operational config and you'll see what your maximum up and down are set to. My betting is that it is still set to 20 as you didn't go through the proper upgrade process.

If it isn't that maybe you are on G wifi?

basicfags
12-10-2011, 12:36
Take a look at what your config is set to. I don't have a superhub so can't direct you exactly to the correct page in the GUI but it should be a link to something like operational config and you'll see what your maximum up and down are set to. My betting is that it is still set to 20 as you didn't go through the proper upgrade process.

If it isn't that maybe you are on G wifi?

first i did the speed tests hard wired into the modem. i ticked a box to enable remote managment on the modem but i didn't specify and it didn't give a port number. would you happen too know what the default port number is for remote managment of the superhub. tanx in advance

kwikbreaks
12-10-2011, 13:39
I don't know but if not specifying anything (ie port 80) doesn't work then try 8080

IMO it is a security risk enabling router remote management. Not a huge one for sure but still a risk.

Nopanic
15-10-2011, 09:41
You got put through to 2nd ??

What model was your old modem?

Peter_
15-10-2011, 09:47
You got put through to 2nd ??

What model was your old modem?
Unlikely to happen unless they were on 100Mb.

horseman
15-10-2011, 11:08
first i did the speed tests hard wired into the modem. i ticked a box to enable remote managment on the modem but i didn't specify and it didn't give a port number. would you happen too know what the default port number is for remote managment of the superhub. tanx in advance

If you have R30 firmware then you should see page as below? Then choose any unused port you wish (I just tend to avoid the obvious defaults)? :-

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/10/40.png

basicfags
18-10-2011, 14:48
sorry for not keeping you updated, an engineer called last week and fitted 2 attenuators which i had previously been told to remove, ho hum. and kwikbreaks was correct that the superhub hadn't been correctly activated, the engineer had to call sales to sort that one out, and he did fair play to him.

my old modem was an ambit and it had basically just died on me, couldn't lock any upstreams.

i have one slight issue though, if i take the hub out of modem mode and revert back to using it as a hub, i can't access the wi fi part of the front end menu. if i click on the advanced settings there is no wi fi menu, i was only trying to do this to see if it was possible to turn the led's off on the side of the modem.

anyway i've been running it just about a week now and everything is still up and running and now i have 30 meg bb also.........happy bunny

Mick Fisher
18-10-2011, 20:00
You can't turn the LED's off, unfortunately :(

Milambar
19-10-2011, 11:28
You can't turn the LED's off, unfortunately :(
Yes you can, with some black tape. OK they are still on, you just can't see them, but the end result is the same.