PDA

View Full Version : Cover in road

whitewineandsoda
03-10-2011, 13:30
Hi, there was nowhere to put this query really, so thought this was best place to put it, but please move if not.
I have a Virgin Media manhole with a metal cover nearly outside my front door (I live on a main street there's only the pavement from my front door to the road) on the main road. In the 2 years I've lived here it's never been a problem, but for the last 3 months it has become loose and every time a car goes past it bangs really loud. We can even hear it in the bedroom at the back of the house. I contacted the Highways Dept. and they informed me it belonged to Virgin (they came out and checked it) so I rang Virgin and they promised to sort it out.
Several calls later it hasn't been touched and is getting worse, being a main road there's a constant flow of traffic, and is becoming unbearable. It's also causing vibration to the house.
Could anyone please tell me who I could contact to get this sorted? Any help appreciated, TIA, WWAS.

Peter_
03-10-2011, 13:34
Damaged street furniture including manhole covers

You can now report them to this new number:

0330 333 0444

whitewineandsoda
03-10-2011, 13:43
Thankyou so much Masque, I will give that a try.

Peter_
03-10-2011, 14:45
Thankyou so much Masque, I will give that a try.
It is a straightforward and easy to use number as I have used it myself.;)

whitewineandsoda
03-10-2011, 15:00
I rang the number, it was automated but very easy to use. Let's hope they get it sorted and save my sanity...:)

Peter_
03-10-2011, 15:15
I rang the number, it was automated but very easy to use. Let's hope they get it sorted and save my sanity...:)
It gives a turnaround of 48 hours to get someone out so keep us updated.;)

whitewineandsoda
03-10-2011, 16:14
Thanks Masque, will do:tu:

jungleguy
03-10-2011, 20:15
I found a collapsed manhole cover in a grass verge, reported it, and a temporary repair was made within 3hours.

whitewineandsoda
06-10-2011, 14:46
Update:- Got up this morning and it's a lot quieter.I can hear the cars going over the cover, but it's more like a dull thud than the sound of metal hitting metal with a loud thud.
I never saw anyone come out to it, but something has been done, so thanks again....:)

Peter_
06-10-2011, 14:47
Update:- Got up this morning and it's a lot quieter.I can hear the cars going over the cover, but it's more like a dull thud than the sound of metal hitting metal with a loud thud.
I never saw anyone come out to it, but something has been done, so thanks again....:)
Nice one and you have the number if you need to call them again.

whitewineandsoda
07-10-2011, 15:22
It's back to normal again, as loud as ever. I'll ring them again......:confused:
I'll let you know how I get on this time.

whitewineandsoda
15-06-2012, 20:27
Just an update to this thread. I continually rang VM, and nothing was done even ringing since last October. 2 weeks ago while I was walking up the street I saw 3 VM chaps checking the brown boxes attached to the houses with some sort of hand held machine. I 'captured' them lol and explained the problem, the kicked and jumped on the cover and agreed it was unacceptable.
Last week the same chaps came and put a new cover on, followed by some more who re-instated the road around it. It's wonderful, peace has been restored in our house....:)
The chaps who I spoke to and who came and sorted it were brilliant, very polite and eager to get it fixed for us, so thankyou if you read this forum, you'll be bound to remember me lol.
Thankyou to everyone else who gave help and advice on here as well, from a very happy WWAS.....:)

colin25
15-06-2012, 21:30
Good to hear...though i wasn't struggling to sleep worrying over this :D

whitewineandsoda
15-06-2012, 22:35
Good to hear...though i wasn't struggling to sleep worrying over this :D

Lol, and I'm not losing any sleep now it's been fixed......:clap:

Sirius
15-06-2012, 22:49
Lol, and I'm not losing any sleep now it's been fixed......:clap:

Excellent news