PDA

View Full Version : Engineer no-show

Milambar
02-10-2011, 15:52
Waited in for an Engineer who was supposed to come before 1pm. He was a no show.

Called 151, and was told that "If the problem was due to an area fault, and has now been fixed, the engineer would have cancelled his own appointment."

Is this correct? If so, nice of them to contact me and let me know they wouldn't be coming. </sarcasm>

Either case, the internet is working perfectly fine now.

Kymmy
02-10-2011, 15:55
Surely a cured fault is enough of a suggestion that they won't be coming?? :) ;)

Milambar
02-10-2011, 15:58
True, but I didn't wanna risk being fined if he showed up and I'd gone out.

jb66
02-10-2011, 16:16
Don't get fined anymore,

Peter_
02-10-2011, 16:16
True, but I didn't wanna risk being fined if he showed up and I'd gone out.
The is no longer a charge made if you are not in it was removed about 3 weeks ago you just a card advising that the engineer called.

Milambar
02-10-2011, 16:18
Ahh, cool info to know, thank you.

jb66
02-10-2011, 16:20
It's wrong IMO, folk wanting visits after 5pm can just book and if they miss us just rebook, I get a repeat fault and customers have to wait longer for visits due to folk not cancelling

Nopanic
02-10-2011, 16:29
Waited in for an Engineer who was supposed to come before 1pm. He was a no show.

Called 151, and was told that "If the problem was due to an area fault, and has now been fixed, the engineer would have cancelled his own appointment."

Is this correct? If so, nice of them to contact me and let me know they wouldn't be coming. </sarcasm>

Either case, the internet is working perfectly fine now.

If the Outage team find a fault they cancel the tech, not the tech and they call/text the customer to advise, or call after the fault is fixed to check..

Depending on the size of the fault, depends if they can call them all back or not .. clearly if you have 1000's of people affected then calling everyone isn't possible ..

As Kimmy says 90% of people will either assume its fixed or call in to cancel .. as you saw the fault was fixed and didn't call in personally I think you wasted your own time ..

Nopanic
02-10-2011, 20:30
I can't edit my post, but apologies for my miss-spelling of Kymmy ..

Milambar
03-10-2011, 20:42
It's wrong IMO, folk wanting visits after 5pm can just book and if they miss us just rebook, I get a repeat fault and customers have to wait longer for visits due to folk not cancelling

After 5pm? It was after 1pm, and I called in at 1.45pm to find out if the engineer was still booked. I have always cancelled when I am certain the fault has been rectified.

But if I notice I have a connection at 9.30ish-am and an engineer call booked for the same fault at "between 11am and 1pm", should I run the gauntlet if the offshore call centers and cancel? Since at that point in time, I have no idea if the connection is going to be stable, or still going to be intermittant.

I have never ever missed and rebooked an appointment, I've never ever missed an appointment in the first place.

If I have been aware that the connection is stable for about a day or so before the appointment, I have always cancelled it. If I have been made aware that I am going to be unable to remain in on the day, I have always cancelled it. In this case, the connection was restored only a few hours before the engineer being due.

Yes, I will wait 24hrs after noticing I have a connection, to make sure its stable, before cancelling. I feel thats only fair. I am not going to notice I have a connection at 9.30am, phone up at 9.31am to cancel it, only to find the connection dies again at 10.00am, and have to wait another x days for a new booking. Espeically if the engineer was due the same day.

But whatever.

Apparently I should have called in as soon as the light turned green, to cancel.

As Kimmy says 90% of people will either assume its fixed or call in to cancel .. as you saw the fault was fixed and didn't call in personally I think you wasted your own time ..

Given that all the time in the past, we have been told theres a £10 fine for missing an appointment, I wasn't going to assume anything. Given that the connection was restored mere hours, not days, before the tech visit, that is not sufficient time to note if the connection was stable.

Or are you saying I should cancel the second the connection starts working, only to have to rebook if it turns out to be unstable?

Digital Fanatic
03-10-2011, 20:51
After 5pm? It was after 1pm, and I called in at 1.45pm to find out if the engineer was still booked. I have always cancelled when I am certain the fault has been rectified.

But if I notice I have a connection at 9.30ish-am and an engineer call booked for the same fault at "between 11am and 1pm", should I run the gauntlet if the offshore call centers and cancel? Since at that point in time, I have no idea if the connection is going to be stable, or still going to be intermittant.

I have never ever missed and rebooked an appointment, I've never ever missed an appointment in the first place.

If I have been aware that the connection is stable for about a day or so before the appointment, I have always cancelled it. If I have been made aware that I am going to be unable to remain in on the day, I have always cancelled it. In this case, the connection was restored only a few hours before the engineer being due.

Yes, I will wait 24hrs after noticing I have a connection, to make sure its stable, before cancelling. I feel thats only fair. I am not going to notice I have a connection at 9.30am, phone up at 9.31am to cancel it, only to find the connection dies again at 10.00am, and have to wait another x days for a new booking. Espeically if the engineer was due the same day.

But whatever.

Apparently I should have called in as soon as the light turned green, to cancel.

Given that all the time in the past, we have been told theres a £10 fine for missing an appointment, I wasn't going to assume anything. Given that the connection was restored mere hours, not days, before the tech visit, that is not sufficient time to note if the connection was stable.

Or are you saying I should cancel the second the connection starts working, only to have to rebook if it turns out to be unstable?

If the appointment was cancelled because of an outage, then you should get an automated message on your home phone or a auto sms text (between hours of 8am - 9pm). if this failed for some reason, then we are sorry that happened, sometimes the mobile we have on customers accounts is invalid or customer has changed number.

Peter_
03-10-2011, 21:18

As I said further up the thread we make no charge and nor should any mention be made on a call of any charge.

Now if you rang up and I answered and you said everything was working and should you cancel unlike some other agents I would check your connection first as you may well still need the engineer, I do my job properly which will not happen in a few months if you have read the other thread.

Milambar
03-10-2011, 21:22
Indeed I have read the thread, and it saddens me, because the UK based staff all seem to be of a high level of competence (and at least understandable).

jb66
03-10-2011, 21:23

But whatever.

My comment was not aimed at YOU

Peter_
03-10-2011, 21:25
My comment was not aimed at YOU
I knew exactly the kind of person you meant but that can be theproblem we know but everyone else gets confused as it can also be an in joke.

You are one of the few milambar so nice one anyway.

Taf
04-10-2011, 13:23
I was told last Friday that our duff connection would mean a tech call yesterday between 1 and 4. No show for us either. The connection still hiccoughs as the line levels drift up and down by about 2db around the "optimal" 0db.

About to run the gauntlet of strange accents on the fault line again.... :(

Peter_
04-10-2011, 20:40
I was told last Friday that our duff connection would mean a tech call yesterday between 1 and 4. No show for us either. The connection still hiccoughs as the line levels drift up and down by about 2db around the "optimal" 0db.

About to run the gauntlet of strange accents on the fault line again.... :(
Mine is not that strange.:D

fudge
04-10-2011, 21:08
Don't get fined anymore,

I had an engineer booked about 4 weeks ago , my problem was resolved before the appointment date .
I got a phone call the day before he was due to come (message left on answer phone ) confirming the appointment time and it finished with if the fault is now fixed and you do not cancelle there will be a fine. I had cancelled a few hours before .
So if there is no more fines why are threats being put out .

Digital Fanatic
04-10-2011, 21:13
I had an engineer booked about 4 weeks ago , my problem was resolved before the appointment date .
I got a phone call the day before he was due to come (message left on answer phone ) confirming the appointment time and it finished with if the fault is now fixed and you do not cancelle there will be a fine. I had cancelled a few hours before .

Nobody should be advised of a no-one home charge anymore. It's only a recent thing though, so you may have been one of the last to be advised?

Peter_
04-10-2011, 21:14
Probably no one has thought to remove the message from there, but it does not matter as the is no longer a £10 charge and no agent should even mention it, I for one stopped on the day it was withdrawn.