PDA

View Full Version : Dial Up Can i take a VM phone number to BT ?

Efour
21-09-2011, 21:53
As title really thats all

BenMcr
21-09-2011, 22:00
Normally yes you can

kwikbreaks
22-09-2011, 23:52
It's up to the recipient whether or not they can/will take the number.

I moved a BT number to VM and then on again to Vonage with no problem. VM are fine on porting numbers but I have seen the odd post where people have reported problems with BT taking on numbers sometimes. Your best bet is to check with BT themselves as only they will be able to give you a definite answer.

Milambar
23-09-2011, 01:23
Article 30 of the Universal Services Directive (2002/22/EU) seems to suggest its not actually up to them, but a required thing.

Also this webpage,

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/gc18review/statement/

Seems to suggest that OFCOM require number portability in the UK as well. Although I only skim-read it. All that text made my eyes glaze over.

kwikbreaks
23-09-2011, 10:19
I think that's the page I read at the time I was porting. As I'm currently on an EDGE only connection I won't open the link to confirm this but I'm pretty sure there was some wriggle room allowed should the recipient organisation have problems incorporating the number - no idea why but presumably routing issues if the number doesn't fit with the BT scheme. I've noticed that BT often use the first portion of the 6 digit number for a particular area as well as the STD code so maybe it's something to do with that. Anyway as I mentioned I have seen posts in the past where people say they have been told by BT that they can't accept the port.

djbenson
23-09-2011, 11:09
I've just ported my grandad's Virgin landline number to BT with no fuss (except for BT having to submit the order 3 times - was still completed within the agreed timescales though).

Top marks to Virgin for not dragging their heals.