PDA

View Full Version : Dial Up Connection Problems

looking for help
18-09-2011, 09:03
I would be very very grateful for help with this problem:

I'm a legacy Telewest Blueyonder Dial-Up customer: I'm in a Cable area: for the last 10 years I've logged successfully into the Internet via the number 179 via my laptop 56k modem:

But about 2 months ago the number 179 went dead - VM continue to bill me monthly for the dial-up service although no-one at customer services seems to be aware of or at all interested in the existence of a dial-up service that is certainly provided by Virgin. It is unfair I am still billed but no proper or informed technical help whatsoever is offered.

Needless to say my Virgin phone-line works normally with all other numbers: it is only the ability to connect with the mainframe computer, when I dial 179, that is the problem. Can anyone help me get Virgin to correct this problem that is clearly at their end? Thank-you.

Sephiroth
18-09-2011, 09:08
I earnestly recommend you put your note up on the VM support forum here (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-your-phone-line/bd-p/national).

They'll take 4 days to respond but they'll get it sorted.

Nopanic
18-09-2011, 09:57
The forums don't have anyone who supports dial up ..

PAYG Dialup Support: 0906 217 0003

Dialup Support: 0906 217 0002

Calls to these numbers cost £0.50 per minute and the call will last no more than 10 minutes. If the issue isn't resolved within 10 minutes the agent must offer you a call back and continue to support you.

ferretuk
18-09-2011, 11:17
The forums don't have anyone who supports dial up ..

PAYG Dialup Support: 0906 217 0003

Dialup Support: 0906 217 0002

Calls to these numbers cost £0.50 per minute and the call will last no more than 10 minutes. If the issue isn't resolved within 10 minutes the agent must offer you a call back and continue to support you.

That sounds like a complete rip-off from the OPs point of view!

You're not alone by the look of it:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-your-phone-line/179-DIAL-UP/td-p/698241

If dialling '179' (try it from a real phone rather than the modem) from the virgin line doesn't result in an answering modem then the fault is definitely at the Virgin end and the customer shouldn't have to pay up to £5 to report the fault.

Try reporting it via 150 and as a telephone fault to start with... :)

If it helps, here's a page that actually references 179 (or Blueyonder customers)

Link (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2479)

looking for help
18-09-2011, 16:26
Thank-you ferretuk.
Oh I've tried many times already referring this problem to the Community forum - I've used the name Curious there if you want to read all my submissions! I've also phoned (as you say rip-off) the so-called help-line and the operative there - presumably India - had no idea whatsover what I was talking about refusing to accept there was any fault and blaming my handset dialling tone - yes, quite unbelievable isn't it. I despair.

Yes I've followed your other suggestion as well - I've dialled 179 via my phone and everything is dead that way too. I've been a good customer for 12 years and now a fault has developed there is no way of getting it corrected it seems ...... oh yes, I've also tried reporting it as a phone complaint - and wait for it - the operator then eagerly seizes upon the dial-up reference to wriggle out of addressing the fault and so sends me back to the utterly useless help-line!!!!!! I'm already looking into joining BT merely as a matter of principle and through anger. Another customer gone Virgin - but I'm sure you don't care.... The fact it's only legacy dial-up is irrelevant - what matters is they still bill me for a broken service and refuse responsibility. The help-lines read from a script - they do not listen to what you are saying ..... their assumption is that the customer is always wrong !!!!

ccarmock
18-09-2011, 18:03
I don't have the dial up service, but calling 179 from my VM line does lead to a modem tone, so the number is active here.

Nopanic
18-09-2011, 20:45
That sounds like a complete rip-off from the OPs point of view!

You're not alone by the look of it:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-your-phone-line/179-DIAL-UP/td-p/698241

If dialling '179' (try it from a real phone rather than the modem) from the virgin line doesn't result in an answering modem then the fault is definitely at the Virgin end and the customer shouldn't have to pay up to £5 to report the fault.

Try reporting it via 150 and as a telephone fault to start with... :)

If it helps, here's a page that actually references 179 (or Blueyonder customers)

Link (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2479)

150 is cable and so are the forums .. its no fob .. you're asking the wrong people.. the 50p a minute stuff is normally refunded if its a VM issue..