PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Does the superhub support IPv6

Cromulent
18-09-2011, 08:43
Since we are getting to the stage where IPv6 support is getting increasingly important does anyone know if the superhub supports IPv6 natively or not?

Also as a side issue is it possible to change the DNS servers that the superhub uses? I've been using OpenDNS on my old router but I can't find any settings related to custom DNS servers which is a big down point for me.

Ignitionnet
18-09-2011, 08:58
The only thing required for native IPv6 support within the Superhub is firmware, along with the same and appropriate configuration on the VM network.

Not at this time though.

Sirius
18-09-2011, 09:00
Since we are getting to the stage where IPv6 support is getting increasingly important does anyone know if the superhub supports IPv6 natively or not?

Also as a side issue is it possible to change the DNS servers that the superhub uses? I've been using OpenDNS on my old router but I can't find any settings related to custom DNS servers which is a big down point for me.

Only way i have found to use open dns is to set it in my network card profile on each of the pc's that i want to use them on, As far as i am aware you cannot do it from the shub in router mode.

zer0
26-10-2011, 18:14
is there any timeframe for superhub firmware to support ipv6 ?

Ignitionnet
26-10-2011, 22:52
Nope.

ileikcaek
12-11-2011, 14:16
Comcast Cable in the USA is moving further and further towards IPv6 and have been testing for the past year, they are now testing it on some domestic customers according to various news sites.

I think it is time for VM (and BT) to start opening up and saying what they plan to do and when and to start testing it out on select customers.

It would seem ISP's are still being reluctant to budge on the matter. it would just take one of the big ones to announce the move here and I'm sure the others would follow along close behind.

BenMcr
12-11-2011, 14:28
I think it is time for VM (and BT) to start opening up and saying what they plan to do and when and to start testing it out on select customers.The was posted back in Feb: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/IPv6-support-on-Virgin-media/m-p/322427#M58534

Ignitionnet
12-11-2011, 15:20
Agreed Ricky though as noted Comcast had some quite specific reasons for needing to move to IPv6, it's not related to customers running out of IPv4 addresses.

It's a work in progress both with regards to VM and BT.

Milambar
12-11-2011, 15:47
I do remember, before VM closed the SSH port on the SH, that I took a look inside, and I noticed a lot of stuff relating to IPv6 already in place.

So I'd guess the SH already does support IPv6, and that its just disabled because VM themselves don't support it yet (if ever they will).

ileikcaek
12-11-2011, 18:14
It does support IPv6, I guess it's just disabled and the front-end interface stuff is disabled until they are ready. I expect most if not all VM's DOCSIS 3 equipment is ready for it as it is part of the DOCSIS 3 standard. but they have to test it and roll it out slowly just like anything else they change on the network.

It's good to read that post on the VM forum for earlier this year, but obviously it wasn't really an official statement. Until VM officially say something it will be taken with a pinch of salt for now.

GazCBG
12-11-2011, 18:21
I don't mean to sound thick, but does that mean all the time VM doesn't suppot IPv6 we can't access sites/servers using IPv6?

ileikcaek
12-11-2011, 18:25
I don't mean to sound thick, but does that mean all the time VM doesn't suppot IPv6 we can't access sites/servers using IPv6?

You are correct (unless you wanted to go through the stress of setting up an IPv6 tunnel!).

Not a huge amount of sites use it yet, but the number is growing and will do more so as hosting companies run out of IPv4 addresses. They are already restricted to giving one per server.

My server has a /64 block of IPv6 addresses but I haven't worked out how to get it working correctly yet, I did get it working a little but cpanel has no support for it right now so it will not work properly. We have 4 IPv4 addresses but only use the one. Soon there will be new sites without any IPv4 connectivity I'm sure.

16-11-2011, 10:34
You are correct (unless you wanted to go through the stress of setting up an IPv6 tunnel!).

Not a huge amount of sites use it yet, but the number is growing and will do more so as hosting companies run out of IPv4 addresses. They are already restricted to giving one per server.
Hmm yes, I really do miss having 21 IPv4s - down to 5 now, and as far as I'm aware most server hosts will only provide you with 1 IPv4 unless you can give full justification for needing any additional IPs.

My server has a /64 block of IPv6 addresses but I haven't worked out how to get it working correctly yet, I did get it working a little but cpanel has no support for it right now so it will not work properly. We have 4 IPv4 addresses but only use the one. Soon there will be new sites without any IPv4 connectivity I'm sure.
I'm in the same boat - got a server with SoftLayer with a nice block of IPv6s, but cPanel doesn't yet support it.

Do have a look at this blog post:
http://www.cpanel.net/2011/03/ipv6-implementation-update.html

Looks like IPv6 will be supported by cPanel relatively soon. Now we just have to wait for ISPs to support it.

Also, if you have a router with DD-WRT, this may interest you:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/IPv6