PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice requested for Virgin refer a friend

SirSnortsalot
16-09-2011, 19:07
Hi there,

A quick background. I am a student and I currently have an account with Virgin for broadband and live in a house with 5 other students. I am moving out at the end of this month, and so one of the other housemates volunteered to take over the service.

Initially I just changed all of the online details to his, but when he phoned up to see if he could upgrade, it was still my name and password associated with the main account itself, so they wouldn't let him do anything to it. They said changing the online details is different from changing the main account details. I called them and they said I could pay £20 to change it to his name, and that would start them on a new 12 month contract.

As they are students, I thought it was better if I cancelled the account, and they could sign up for a new 9 month account. I called again to give my 30 days notice, and the guy there asked me about the situation. I told him that I was moving out and someone else would be taking over, and he asked if I wanted to refer them. He said that £50 would be credited to my account, and they would get free installation. I explicitly asked him if I would still get the £50 as I wasn't taking the account with me to my new address and so it would be closed, and he said yes. He said that as soon as the new housemate paid his first bill, I could call customer services and get a cheque for £50. Swell! So I went ahead with the referal. I recorded the date, time and name of the person I spoke to.

I then called customer services to confirm this arrangement with them, and they denied this was a possibility. They said that unfortunately my account would be closed before my housemate paid the first bill on his new account. They suggested that I phone again when my final bill came through, and see if I could arrange something then. I pointed out that I was explicitly told conflicting information before making my referral, but the CS rep said sorry, that's wrong.

My last bill came through a couple of days ago (£21), so I phoned customer services again today. They gave me the same line, which was that it wouldn't be possible as my account would be closed before the first bill was paid. I then asked if I could delay my payment and keep my account open so that it was open long enough for the £50 to come through and pay off the last bill. The CS rep said he could cancel my direct debit if I wanted, and then the Collections Department would call me when the payment was due to leave my account to chase up the amount. He said I could then take it up with them but didn't know if they would agree. I agreed and he cancelled the direct debit.

I'm now just wondering what I should do. I'm a little worried that Collections will try and lump additional fees on top for late payment or refuse to let me pay off my final bill with the £50 credit. Is it worth waiting for them to contact me, or should I take this somewhere else? I'm especially miffed as the first guy who I spoke to, who convinced me to refer my housemate, explicitly assured me that I would get the £50, when he was fully aware of my situation. It feels like he gave me wrong information to get me to make a referral / obtain commission for a referral.

Thank you for any replies and advice!

meekboy
16-09-2011, 19:52
you should not get any late fees if your disconnection happens before the next bill date. with the refer a friend credit they wont apply the credit to a disconnected account and anything left over cant be sent as a cheque it would just sit on your account, but on the upside if you decide to come back you can request it to be transfered to your new account and at least the friend you refered got a free install out of it:)

SirSnortsalot
16-09-2011, 20:55
Hmm, I've not yet paid the final £21 bill yet thought, and the guy on the phone today cancelled my direct debit - so there'll still be £21 outstanding. Surely that will accrue late fees if they don't pay ball?

Also, I'm still outraged by a rep assuring me I'd get the £50, which is what motivated me to refer in the first place. Feels like they mislead me to try to gain a new client. My friend has sent them an email telling them he's considering cancelling his new contract finding a different provider because of it too :S

v0id
16-09-2011, 22:06
Would they install/activate your friends new service if there is an outstanding bill at the address?

SirSnortsalot
17-09-2011, 02:45
I'd assume so - I think account are name dependent rather than address dependent.

Either way I've sent them a letter and email of complaint which explains the situation. I wouldn't care if it wasn't for the fact that their rep promised me the money. I've made that clear in my letter. I hope I get a +ve response.

qasdfdsaq
17-09-2011, 11:36
Maybe you should have read the terms and conditions for the referral offer and/or asked the guy to actually put the offer in writing.

SirSnortsalot
17-09-2011, 13:03
Well, I guess I've learnt that for next time.

One might reasonably expect a Customer Service Rep working in retentions would give factually correct information though.

qasdfdsaq
17-09-2011, 13:38
Pfft... (!) That's assuming competance.

Everything I get offered by any customer service rep I always get in writing (unless it's already in writing, e.g. on their website). Even then I sometimes have to send them copies of their own website when they've denied an offer was ever offered...

SirSnortsalot
17-09-2011, 13:54
That's good advice, thanks. I'll bear it in mind for the future.

It's a shame that it's a mistake to assume competence, but c'est la vie I guess.

Anyway, I'll wait to see what the response to my letter of complaint is. Hopefully regardless of the outcome, I'll get some sort of definitive answer rather than being bounced around by different reps! Then if the answer is terrible, there's always CISAS...

qasdfdsaq
17-09-2011, 16:53
That's the problem with these guys - speak to ten different people and you'll get twenty different stories. Unless it's in writing, you'll be hard pressed to prove anything - don't count on the calls being recorded either, as very few are.

A complaint letter to the executive office usually gets results, whether those results are what you want however...