PDA

View Full Version : 100M What does the engineer do when upgrading from 50MB to 100MB?

Cromulent
13-09-2011, 21:35
We are upgrading to 100MB (as I mentioned in a previous post) and it seems we need to an engineer to come out and install the hardware, but as we are already using 50MB surely all the infrastructure is already in place?

So what is it exactly that the engineer has to do when upgrading 50MB customers to 100MB?

Thanks for any help.

jb66
13-09-2011, 21:37
Usually nothing, sometimes stick an attenuator on

TAZMANUK
14-09-2011, 07:34
Also if u dont have superhub, maybe replace modem and router to that, set that up, check signal, speed test

weesteev
14-09-2011, 08:01
Didnt think a tech was required if you had a Superhub already?

TAZMANUK
14-09-2011, 09:08
In post he stated install hardware for that u need installer to deactivated old modem ie mac number to that account abd reactive new hubs mac id to account, make sure the hit has gone to the hub abd that its wirking, if ur not technically minded people will struggle.

Ignitionnet
14-09-2011, 10:24
Didnt think a tech was required if you had a Superhub already?

Oddly they seem to not care whether you've the CPE or not.

I think I posted elsewhere that I find this confusing as Superhubs can easily be automatically polled as part of the ordering process, and an engineer visit raised as part of the job only where power levels are marginal.

The tolerances for both the 50Mb and 100Mb are, for obvious reasons, identical to one another and to the 30Mb service.

RB2004
14-09-2011, 10:49
Hi, no idea what the engineer was talking about when he installed mine?

he plugged it all in, then made a phone call asking for a hit and giving the new MAC address of the superhub.

Then phoned another number and asked them to lock something.. then he went outside for a while, came back and I was still getting 50mbit so he phoned again and asked if they had locked something.

Cromulent
14-09-2011, 17:25
Ah good. At least it shouldn't take long then. Thanks for the info.

Nopanic
16-09-2011, 06:39
Hi, no idea what the engineer was talking about when he installed mine?

he plugged it all in, then made a phone call asking for a hit and giving the new MAC address of the superhub.

Then phoned another number and asked them to lock something.. then he went outside for a while, came back and I was still getting 50mbit so he phoned again and asked if they had locked something.

:erm:

The hit is just the update and I assume the "locking" was removing from the WG, which they no longer need to do.

If you have 50, then technically you don't need a tech, BUT VM want to make sure people paying for 100, get 100, so ..