PDA

View Full Version : 30M Speed Issues

onlyhuman
12-09-2011, 19:20
Hi all, i posted here last week asking a few questions about wireless and the superhub. Well i decided to take the plunge and upgrade my 10mb to 30mb and so a technician came out to install the superhub. He did a speed test afterwards and it read 21mb so he made some adjustment and the speed test then said 26mb.

Since then ive tryed several speed tests on both my PS3 and on my laptop and the download speed seems all over the place ive had from as little as 1.5mb to as high as 24mb. I can do two tests back to back and get two very different results within a matter of minutes.

I have two PS3s and one laptop connected to the hub. The PS3 downstairs is connected via ethernet lead and the other PS3 and laptop are wireless. When i had the 10mb broardband it was connected to the downstairs PS3 via ethernet and off peak i was allways getting about 9.6mb and at peak times between 2.5mb and 4.5mb. Now even though its still connected via ethernet ive had speeds as low as 1.5mb and when playing games online my connection shows only 3 green bars and not the full 4 bars as it did before.
As for the wireless side of things the PS3 upstairs and laptop seem to connect ok and PS3 says signal strength is 95%, so im pleased enough with that. Its just the speed issue.

Sorry for the wall of text just trying to give a clear picture. So can anybody offer any advice? I have figured out how to connect directly to the hub and seen all the advanced settings etc, so if any additional info is required just say but please bare with me as im a complete newb.

Thanks.

General Maximus
12-09-2011, 23:01
wireless speed tests are a bit dodgy at the best of times and saying wireless and superhub in the same sentence is even worse. If you want to do any reliable speed tests you want to be doing them wired and off peak to avoid network congestion. What site are you using for your speed tests? I have always used speedtest.net with the london server but different locations work better than others for different people. Try 3 or 4 different servers (e.g London, Maidenhead, Birmingham) and see what gives you the best results and then you that one servers and run tests throughout the day and see what you get.

Although some peeps will get 30-31mbits that is pretty much the max at optimum conditions so don't be disappointed if you get 28-29.

Btw, before you run the speed tests disabled the firewall on the hub and ip flood detection if they haven't already made that the default in the latest firmware.

onlyhuman
13-09-2011, 06:28
Thanks for the reply. I used speedtest.net will try out the different servers.

The biggest issue for me right now is the fact that my PS3 is connected via ethernet lead yet im getting a poor connection for online gaming, where as before with the 10mb modem i allways had a perfect connection, by this i mean i used to get the full four green bars every time and now it varies between two and three green bars and as a result im experiencing some lag. Doing speed tests on the PS3 through the ethernet also offer massively varying results and once said i was only getting 1.5mb through the superhub ethernet. I never had speed results that slow with my 10mb modem.

Any other suggestions, thanks again.

General Maximus
13-09-2011, 08:52
that is why we have got to experiments and work things out through process of elimination. I don't think it is your 30mbit connection which is the problem, I think it is the ps3 connection to the superhub.

If you can get 30mbit wired from your laptop on a speed test you know there is nothing wrong with your connection. If you run the same test from your ps3 and get 5mbit, you know there is a problem with the traffic going through the hub and then we need to have a look at that to sort it out. That is why I said to disable ip flood detection and the firewall on the hub before you start because that has given some peeps grief in the past.

Harryn9000
13-09-2011, 11:22
ps3 works on upload rather than download that what gaming system work on xbox live is the same i get 4.7mb on upload and get no lag at all unless the host is dodgy then i have problems

General Maximus
13-09-2011, 18:05
edit: my bad, i wasn't reading properly :D

onlyhuman
13-09-2011, 23:53
Ok General Maximus ive disabled the firewall and flood detection on the hub, connected my laptop to the hub via ethernet lead and done a few speedtests via speedtest.net.

You were right im getting my 30mb download speed but the upload test fails every single time. When i tryed wireless the upload test worked 50% of the time.

Where do i go from here, thanks.

General Maximus
14-09-2011, 09:27
can you post your power levels. When my connection has dropped in the past and I have ran tests, I have had exactly the same problem as you and it was due to noise on the line.

onlyhuman
14-09-2011, 18:41
can you post your power levels. When my connection has dropped in the past and I have ran tests, I have had exactly the same problem as you and it was due to noise on the line.

Will post power levels, but you will need to tell me where to find them first mate :)

General Maximus
14-09-2011, 20:22
whack 192.168.0.1 into your browser. I have never seen the GUI for the superhub so I can't tell you exactly what the layout looks like but we are looking for tabs that sound something like, downstream, upstream and operational config. You are looking for stuff that has power levels, channel ids, frequencys and stuff like that.

Bulky
14-09-2011, 20:36
Its under 'advanced settings' .... 'connection' :)

onlyhuman
14-09-2011, 22:13
Hope this is clear enough for you, i just copy / pasted, dont know if theres another way to do it?

Connection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 298750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 54 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz 7.9 dBmV 42.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 55 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz 7.9 dBmV 42.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 56 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz 7.8 dBmV 42.0 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 2 20480 Kbits/sec 35800000 Hz 46.5 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 3154
Max Traffic Rate 33330000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 3153
Max Traffic Rate 3333000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

General Maximus
15-09-2011, 08:19
that is good dude. The only thing I can see which might be the cause of your problem is your downstream power levels which are 7.9 ish, I think they could do with being a bit lower.

Give tech support a ring and explain the problem you are having and that your power levels are too high and hopefully tey'll send someone round to fix them.

onlyhuman
17-09-2011, 18:45
Ok General, thanks for your time, much appreiciated.

By the way i have now removed the ethernet lead on the downstairs PS3 and the speed and connection are much more consistent over wireless than wired. :confused:

Going to try a different ethernet lead and after looking on the net ive found a couple of other setting changes for the hub that might help with the PS3 side of things. Then ill phone virgin.

Thanks again mate.

jb66
17-09-2011, 18:53
Sometimes antivirus software borks up upload speed tests

General Maximus
17-09-2011, 21:40
unless there is a snag in your cable or something the one you have got should be fine. Cables are graded according to their speed and although you'll find lots of different types out there, there is only one you really need to be looking at which is cat5e which is good up to 1gbit. Have a look on play.com (free p&p) and you can get a nice belkin one or something for a few £

onlyhuman
22-09-2011, 18:39
Sometimes antivirus software borks up upload speed tests

Thanks for that jb66, thats all it was stuffing up my uploads.

My laptop now works perfectly with the hub, if i plug in the ethernet cable i get 30mb download and about 3mb upload and over wireless i get between 18mb and 25mb download, so im happy enough with that.

So my problem is between the superhub and the PS3, the speeds are still up and down. I did wonder if the PS3 speedtest was even accurate, so when it said my download speed was 1mb i tryed PS3 iplayer and sure enough it was buffering every 5 seconds, yet 10 mins later i did another speedtest and it said i was getting 17mb so i tryed iplayer again and it worked perfectly. (This was all with the PS3 connected via ethernet cable).