PDA

View Full Version : V Stuff ?

philwhite100
11-09-2011, 13:23
Not sure if i have posted this in the right section so appologies if not.

I have just installed the V Stuff software but it won't launch without issues.
Now i noticed that there is no mention of Vista 64bit being compatible which is what i have so is this why it won't work??

Thanks.

Nopanic
11-09-2011, 20:30
No idea, you'd need to give me more than that to go off ? what's it doing ?

philwhite100
12-09-2011, 18:04
As soon as i try to launch V Stuff i just get the window popping up saying the program has stopped responding.

Nopanic
13-09-2011, 07:25
Certainly something not right PC side, be that the OS version or something conflicting ..

kwikbreaks
13-09-2011, 10:01
If it's the backup and storage you are looking at then imo you ain't missing much - it won't backup across a network and is so abysmally slow your machine will probably be obsolete before it's done the initial backup anyway. It really isn't worth the price.

mark1234
13-09-2011, 12:00
If it's the backup and storage you are looking at then imo you ain't missing much - it won't backup across a network and is so abysmally slow your machine will probably be obsolete before it's done the initial backup anyway. It really isn't worth the price.

Have you tried it recently? I agree it was utterly unusable but at some point in the last few months it has been upgraded and now works at a reasonable speed.

roughbeast
13-09-2011, 14:12
Agreed. It is a waste of disc space. I haven't used it in years.

kwikbreaks
13-09-2011, 14:16
Have you tried it recently? I agree it was utterly unusable but at some point in the last few months it has been upgraded and now works at a reasonable speed.Last time I used it was after a fanfared upgrade. It's useless for me as I already back everything up to a networked raid and it was that which I wanted to back up offsite - it won't do that. I did try it out as a single machine backup which is what it is designed to work as and found it was hideously slow at that time. I'm not inclined to waste another half hour of my life on it.

Nopanic
15-09-2011, 06:49
Works well for me and many thousand other customers, not sure what you did wrong :)

kwikbreaks
15-09-2011, 08:06
Works well for me and many thousand other customers, not sure what you did wrong :)So does it backup your NAS drive then? If so I may reinstall it.

Nopanic
15-09-2011, 10:59
So does it backup your NAS drive then? If so I may reinstall it.

If your machine detects it as a drive it will.

kwikbreaks
15-09-2011, 11:14
In Windows you can assign a drive letter to it but the VM software wouldn't back it up last time a tried. I don't think it worked with USB drives either come to that.

It would be a useful facility if they just let you use FTP with the space instead of their software.

====

Remote installed on home machine - it doesn't see (or simply ignores) the mapped network drive. Not there so can't try plugging in a usb disk but I'm pretty much certain it won't work with them either.

From memory it also removes stuff from the backup if you delete it on the local drive - is that the case?

Nopanic
15-09-2011, 16:22
If its running it will look at changes you make and copy you.

If you have files you want to keep, just upload them directly to the webUI ..

I didnt know NAS wouldnt work, thats a bit poo

kwikbreaks
15-09-2011, 16:36
If its running it will look at changes you make and copy you.So there is no protection for accidental deletion then. It also explains why potentially removable drives are not supported.

I haven't tied again but from memory the UI is picky over folder sizes - uploading a few GB of photos would mean splitting it down into smaller steps and doing them bit at a time manually.

philwhite100
15-09-2011, 20:10
I just insatlled it with no problem but it refuses to launch afterwards.
My Laptop with Vista 32 bit is fine but the Desktop with Vista 64 bit is the problem.

Anyway all i want to do is use it for the free photo printing offer.

TROTER
16-09-2011, 00:19
My V stuff experience was of waiting two days for ten gigabyte to backup, USB drive was not found. The free photo offer is of an odd picture size, this cropped my photos so I changed the size to fit and it ended up costing me the same price as if I had went directly to the photo printing website!

andyben
25-09-2011, 20:40
Virgin Media VSTUFF… A total waste of your time!
It didn’t work three years ago as I found out then so left it to sleep!
Then noticed today that the “worst ever software in the Whole world” had been updated so thought I would give it another go? (As you do)
Now it’s even worse than before! been trying for six hours to delete the old backup to have my full 10GB of backup Its totally impossible...&^%$!”£ Virgin help say “do this do that” The buttons/options they specify aren’t even available!! Why is such a big company as Virgin? Absolute CR*P when it comes to any involvement with software? Even my V+Box keeps throwing wobbles and freezing…DUH..:spin:

caph
25-09-2011, 22:07
Works well for me and many thousand other customers, not sure what you did wrong :)

Really? What's your backup upload speed? If you're getting any more than 1/4Mb then please tell me your secret! Also, you've never had it ask you to log on again for no apparent reason and then stop backup up? Also, you've never tried doing another backup (PC change etc) and found out that you can't delete a backup? Also, you've never had it tell you it was restoring when it was actually backing up (you have to try a restore and then leave it a while for this one). Also, you've never had it not appear when you start you PC until several minutes when it decides it wants to show its face. Also, you've never had it keep popping up in your face even after you've minimised it for no apparent reason.

Sorry, but if the software is a piece of junk, it is a piece of junk for all the thousand other customers. If they don't shout about it, it doesn't make it any more of a piece of junk.

Check out the official B&S support forum and cringe at post after post saying it doesn't work, has stopped working, is slow to backup, etc, etc.

Nopanic
26-09-2011, 07:47
It doesn't work or suit everyone, that's to be expected, I wish it would, there is a release coming to sort a lot of the little bugs.

I'm looking at the big picture, the amount of users, the amount of backed up data, its a small extra service when you think about it and it's use (for me at least) has far exceeded expectation.

Don't get me wrong, personally I'm not a fan of online storage, I'd rather use a external drive but that's just me ..

If you don't like it, then really mate don't use it, you don't pay for it (and before anyone says you pay for it in your month bill, you don't, the bill would be the same if it wasn't there)

roger skillin
26-09-2011, 09:20
It's works well for me since it's been updated, not sure of the upload speed but after having it on just overnight for 4 nights (it's off during the day for the stupid traffic management) i've so far uploaded 27GB of data which i'm quite happy with, just another 160gb to go.
Only thin g that annoyed me is that it did not recognise either of my USB hard drives so i had to copy the data i wanted backed up onto one of my internal drives first and copying 187GB takes a little while not to mention having to move stuff to make room for it in the first place, that's the one big downfall of the software, what would it take for it to detect external drives?

caph
26-09-2011, 20:57
If you don't like it, then really mate don't use it, you don't pay for it (and before anyone says you pay for it in your month bill, you don't, the bill would be the same if it wasn't there)

Unfortunately, the main reason I switched to 50Mb was because of the B&S. I was paying £7pcm with JungleDisk and realised I could get the same service with VM if I upgraded and save a quid a month, so I tested it for a week or so and when it worked fine (typical right?) I cancelled JungleDisk and signed up.

My contract with VM was for 50MB AND an unlimited backup service, so I pay for both, not just one, not just the other, but both.

It's so annoying that they don't just get it sorted. It's almost there, it just needs a little bit more work and it would be great. It's pretty much bugfixes as far as I can tell, but they are really dragging their feet. So close, yet so far...

Nopanic
26-09-2011, 21:05
Unfortunately, the main reason I switched to 50Mb was because of the B&S. I was paying £7pcm with JungleDisk and realised I could get the same service with VM if I upgraded and save a quid a month, so I tested it for a week or so and when it worked fine (typical right?) I cancelled JungleDisk and signed up.

My contract with VM was for 50MB AND an unlimited backup service, so I pay for both, not just one, not just the other, but both.

It's so annoying that they don't just get it sorted. It's almost there, it just needs a little bit more work and it would be great. It's pretty much bugfixes as far as I can tell, but they are really dragging their feet. So close, yet so far...

What would you like fixing ?

KenK
26-09-2011, 21:26
It doesn't work or suit everyone, that's to be expected,
<snip>
its a small extra service when you think about it
<snip>
If you don't like it, then really mate don't use it, you don't pay for it (and before anyone says you pay for it in your month bill, you don't, the bill would be the same if it wasn't there)It's an advertised part of VM's service offering - http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-10mb.html , Free Online Storage. I don't see why it should be expected to not work. If it doesn't work, and VM can't make it work, then they should stop promoting it and get rid of it.

Nopanic
27-09-2011, 07:35
It's an advertised part of VM's service offering - http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-10mb.html , Free Online Storage. I don't see why it should be expected to not work. If it doesn't work, and VM can't make it work, then they should stop promoting it and get rid of it.

Controlled by the terms of service. It wont work for everyone as there are too many variations of machine, OS or setup.

kwikbreaks
27-09-2011, 09:11
Only thing that annoyed me is that it did not recognise either of my USB hard drives so i had to copy the data i wanted backed up onto one of my internal drives first and copying 187GB takes a little while not to mention having to move stuff to make room for it in the first place
Ah - now you sir will maybe be a little less enthusiastic when you remove that data from your internal hard drive. Notice what Nopanic mentioned several posts back - it mirrors your actions. So when you remove that folder of USB drive data it will get deleted from the backup. Same if you accidentally delete a file - don't rely on being able to restore it from your VM backup.

caph
27-09-2011, 17:24
What would you like fixing ?

The clue would be in my earlier post:-

Check out the official B&S support forum and cringe at post after post saying it doesn't work, has stopped working, is slow to backup, etc, etc.

The "doesn't work" really could do with fixing. The "stopped working" is definitely up there and the "slow to backup" finishes off my top 3.

KenK
27-09-2011, 21:41
Controlled by the terms of service. It wont work for everyone as there are too many variations of machine, OS or setup.So stop advertising it as part of the service - the link I posted previously is a Sales page to get new customers. It's the year 2011 - if you offer a service, we consumers expect it to just work straight away.

I can't even try it - I still get Sorry! We can't get your info at the moment. Please try again later. when I try to access it (I know, I know, it's an "account issue" and you won't fix it if I don't report it officially ... )