PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Is the superhub really that bad?

Cromulent
08-09-2011, 22:58
We are thinking about upgrading our 50MB internet to the 100MB package but I've heard quite a few horror stories about the new superhub you receive when you upgrade.

Is it really that bad though? I have install DD-WRT on my current router and it seems to work pretty well and has decent features. Can you install DD-WRT on the superhub? If so that would be excellent.

What are the downsides? Or is most of it just people moaning for no real reason? I'm an extremely heavy internet user so uptime is important for me.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen
08-09-2011, 23:02
No for most people the superhub is really not that bad at all and works perfectly.

There is a new firmware due out in the next few weeks that will allow you to turn it into a modem and use your own router, if you so wish.

keepitretro
08-09-2011, 23:04
Think there may be an option to keep your vmng300 modem, there was a thread on here not so long ago, with people that had upgraded to 100mb and kept there vmng300 modem, but i suppose it depends on who you talk to!!!

qasdfdsaq
08-09-2011, 23:09
If you tried putting dd-wrt on the SH you'd lose the modem functionality, and it would stop working on VM's network - so pretty pointless really unless you're just after a WAP (which I am :))

thenry
09-09-2011, 00:18
R30 firmware is due next week. VM want it released so unless a major bug is found by Monday it will be released which will have modem mode as mentioned.

Note the IP addresses to access the interface changes

192.168.0.1 modem & router mode
192.168.100.1 when in modem mode

also as much as this firmware is a massive improvement.. do expect disconnections sometimes.. mine has played up a little and I've read of others that are too disconnecting running R30 firmware.

regarding your current modem.. if you get a nice tech he'll let you keep it but its unlikely. from what I've read recently you will loose the modem and be given the SuperHub plus now the steady firmware is set to be released the techs may not be that nice and follow rules of fitting SuperHubs only.

Taken from the beta forum on the community forum.. buy a decent cat6 ethernet cable to run the full 100Mb+, theres been talk of "cross-talk" on the supplied cable and cheap cables.

Cromulent
09-09-2011, 17:21
Thanks for the replies, especially the information about using the superhub as a modem in the next couple of weeks. We've decided to go for it so we'll see how it turns out :).

qasdfdsaq
10-09-2011, 10:36
Cat 6 cable is useless. There's no reason you should ever buy cat 6.

Stuart
10-09-2011, 14:30
Taken from the beta forum on the community forum.. buy a decent cat6 ethernet cable to run the full 100Mb+, theres been talk of "cross-talk" on the supplied cable and cheap cables.

No need to buy Cat 6. Cat 5e is fine for up to Gigabit speeds. Cat 5 is fine for 100 Mb.. You only need Cat 6 if you need a 10 Gigabit connection, and I think we are a few years from that.

Sirius
10-09-2011, 15:09
I have R30 on mine and it's fine

qasdfdsaq
10-09-2011, 16:19
No need to buy Cat 6. Cat 5e is fine for up to Gigabit speeds. Cat 5 is fine for 100 Mb.. You only need Cat 6 if you need a 10 Gigabit connection, and I think we are a few years from that.
Not even. Cat 6a is required for 10 gigabit, cat 6 can't do proper 10GbE