PDA

View Full Version : 30M Thinking of downgrading to 30mb

albertsteptoe
08-09-2011, 20:38
hello all, im thinking of downgradeing to 30mb from 50mb but just want to find out if the service is as reliable as 50mb, also is there a difference in how much i can download. Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Peter_
08-09-2011, 20:45
It is still Docsis 3 and you will stay on the same CMTS so it should be the same but slower.

You can and will be traffic managed if you do not adhere to the times listed in this link on 30Mb

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html

keepitretro
08-09-2011, 20:48
I downgraded from 50mb to 30mb it took a few days to settle and then it was spot on, but saying that i never had any problems with 50mb rock solid whenever i needed it, but saying that i don't have a [Mod Edit -do not use asterisks to evade swear filter] superhub, and would not entertain one, back on 50mb now anyway.

Nopanic
08-09-2011, 21:42
Took a few days to settle ? er.. you mean there was a fault .. it doesn't take any time to settle, there's nothing to settle ..

albertsteptoe
08-09-2011, 22:28
It is still Docsis 3 and you will stay on the same CMTS so it should be the same but slower.

You can and will be traffic managed if you do not adhere to the times listed in this link on 30Mb

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html

so am i right in saying after 9pm i can download as much as i like untill 9am next day, im not downloading that much now so dont want to be paying £45 a month for something im not useing that much anymore,thanks so far for everyones help.

Peter_
08-09-2011, 22:33
so am i right in saying after 9pm i can download as much as i like untill 9am next day, im not downloading that much now so dont want to be paying £45 a month for something im not useing that much anymore,thanks so far for everyones help.
Yes unrestricted for 12 hours between 9pm and 9am.

qasdfdsaq
08-09-2011, 22:39
Took a few days to settle ? er.. you mean there was a fault .. it doesn't take any time to settle, there's nothing to settle ..
Yeah but the offshore agents blame just about everything on "it needs time to settle" and some people don't know otherwise.

albertsteptoe
08-09-2011, 22:41
thanks a lot for that Masque, ill call Virgin on Saturday & see if they can do me any kind of deal on the 30m service as im well out of my 12 month 50m contract.

keepitretro
08-09-2011, 22:49
Fill yer boots lad....

Between 9pm and 9am

of course.....lol

kwikbreaks
09-09-2011, 07:52
If 30Mbps had been announced before I upgraded from 20 to 50 I wouldn't have upgraded.

albertsteptoe
09-09-2011, 08:58
If 30Mbps had been announced before I upgraded from 20 to 50 I wouldn't have upgraded.

why not kwikbreaks, arnt you happy with the 50Mbps service my service is great just don't download that much anymore so want to save a few pounds, i have to say Ive had it 18 months & its only been down once in all that time great service from Virgin, i was thinking about BT Infinity there unlimited service but had a bad experience with then years ago so not to sure.

kwikbreaks
09-09-2011, 09:17
The upgrade from 20 to 50 cost £5 and was a good deal. 30 is actually cheaper than 20 and the increment from 30 to 50 is £6.50 - I probably wouldn't have taken that deal.

Although 50 doesn't suffer from STM I probably download less in peak time on it than I did on 20 as I don't want to fall foul of the (undefined) AUP and get a snotty letter.

All added up I don't see 50 as that good a deal now and will probably downgraded myself sometime when I'm definitely out of minimum contract.

albertsteptoe
09-09-2011, 09:23
The upgrade from 20 to 50 cost £5 and was a good deal. 30 is actually cheaper than 20 and the increment from 30 to 50 is £6.50 - I probably wouldn't have taken that deal.

Although 50 doesn't suffer from STM I probably download less in peak time on it than I did on 20 as I don't want to fall foul of the (undefined) AUP and get a snotty letter.

All added up I don't see 50 as that good a deal now and will probably downgraded myself sometime when I'm definitely out of minimum contract.

yes I'm out of contract now since February this year, so not sure if i want to get stuck on 30MB package as you say about the STM, thats why I'm looking into BT Infinity, wish i could talk to someone who left Virgin for BT & can tell me if the service is ok because its an 18 month contract with BT & don't want that if service is no good. thanks for your comments.

Sephiroth
09-09-2011, 10:33
Well, I've got both VM 50 meg and BT Infinity (the full works). Apart from a current glitch I'm having with the 50 meg, it's been perfect for the year that I've had it. The odd glitch I've seen has been resolved through the tech support on the VM forums; it's quite good, actually. I avoid calling the offshore people like th plague.

BT Infinity was installed in December last and that's been perfect too. 38 down/8 up without fail. Haven't needed any service whatsoever.

Hope that helps.

albertsteptoe
09-09-2011, 11:19
Well, I've got both VM 50 meg and BT Infinity (the full works). Apart from a current glitch I'm having with the 50 meg, it's been perfect for the year that I've had it. The odd glitch I've seen has been resolved through the tech support on the VM forums; it's quite good, actually. I avoid calling the offshore people like th plague.

BT Infinity was installed in December last and that's been perfect too. 38 down/8 up without fail. Haven't needed any service whatsoever.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Sephiroth, so would you recommend BT Infinity over Virgins 30meg service, as with Virgins 30meg service there is STMs & just in case i wanted to do a bit of downloading in that period i wouldn't have to worry with BT Infinity's unlimited package.

thenry
09-09-2011, 11:30
have you tested your location and how much bandwidth you'll get on BT?

albertsteptoe
09-09-2011, 11:59
have you tested your location and how much bandwidth you'll get on BT?

went on there site to do a speed test & it says 30MB download & 7.2MB upload.id be happy with that, if that was the case just trying to see what there FUP is on the unlimited service but cant see it anywhere at the moment.

thenry
09-09-2011, 12:02
went on there site to do a speed test & it says 30MB download & 7.2MB upload.id be happy with that, if that was the case just trying to see what there FUP is on the unlimited service but cant see it anywhere at the moment.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/63/33675666-bt-to-remove-300gb-fup.html

Sephiroth
09-09-2011, 12:25
Yes I would recommend BT Infinity over VM's 30 meg package, particularly as:

1/
If your VM area is oldish and isn't being refurbished, you take a chnce on tired infrastructure until they get round to the needed investment. Not all "oldish" locations are in a pickle, though. But some, like Merton, New Malden, Mortlake and so on are.

2/
BT Infinity will offer a doubling of the download sync speed next year. So that'll trump VM's 30 & 50 meg services.

3/
BT Infinity is new build at the cabinet and to the exchange. Nothing tired about it.

The caveats are the usual ones; watch your usage in much the same way as at VM. See www.bt.com/broadbandusagepolicy for more details. "Unlimited" at BT Infinity means the same as "unlimited1" at VM!

albertsteptoe
09-09-2011, 12:32
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/63/33675666-bt-to-remove-300gb-fup.html

Thanks for that thenry, that sounds good if its true, you wouldn't know when they class there times as peak time would you.

thenry
09-09-2011, 12:53
I don't mean to hijack your thread albertsteptoe but I have a question if you don't mind me asking in here. Before I upgraded I was thinking of moving over to BT like you. I spoke to agents about a deal and also got told I'd need an install for infinity, how do BT go about installing.. is it the same way as VM? We have a new BT cabinet but its pretty far away.

albertsteptoe
09-09-2011, 13:35
I don't mean to hijack your thread albertsteptoe but I have a question if you don't mind me asking in here. Before I upgraded I was thinking of moving over to BT like you. I spoke to agents about a deal and also got told I'd need an install for infinity, how do BT go about installing.. is it the same way as VM? We have a new BT cabinet but its pretty far away.

Hello thenry, try this link tells you everything you need to know.:)

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29023

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

just found out i shouldn't be paying £45 a month for my 50MB service Ive been told it should be £35 a month as i don't have Virgin phone line, & my 12 month contract ran out in February, is that correct that 50MB is £35 a month now with out phone line.

qasdfdsaq
10-09-2011, 00:42
As always I find BT's speed estimates are on the conservative side. I'd take those numbers and assume that's what you'll get at peak times after overhead. Your line would probably sync 10-20% faster, and indeed the vast majority (70%+ IIRC) of people get 35mbps+ sync speeds.

I'd be getting my BT Infinity install this month if I weren't moving soon...

Hugh
10-09-2011, 15:10
Hello thenry, try this link tells you everything you need to know.:)

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29023

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

just found out i shouldn't be paying £45 a month for my 50MB service Ive been told it should be £35 a month as i don't have Virgin phone line, & my 12 month contract ran out in February, is that correct that 50MB is £35 a month now with out phone line.Albert, yes it is £35 a month without a phone line - link (http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-50mb.html)

But if you remember from your posts in another thread, you are receiving a discount on the £45 amount which is on your bill, it is just in the bundle discount you said you were receiving of £21.50....