PDA

View Full Version : Superhub PSU Noise

thenry
06-09-2011, 20:57
My PSU that came with the SH is making a high pitch noise. I thought it was the SH itself at first but then realized its the PSU plug although the SH does make a low/high pitch noise. I've read about this and its been sorted out by VM sending out a whole new SH and PSU not just PSU. Thing is I'm currently on R30 test, will I have to post up a thread in the beta forum to tell staff or will it fall on deaf ears. Should I wait until R30 has been released before asking for a new SH?

Also I remember reading somewhere regarding how to tell if I've got an old generation SH and PSU ?

jb66
06-09-2011, 21:06
You have the correct psu, load of hubs I've fitted make that high pitch squeal, get a hub now, you don't have to install the hub they send you

thenry
06-09-2011, 21:15
Does it matter that the PSU is making a high pitch noise ?

KenK
06-09-2011, 21:24
Oh my, another reason to not get one. I expect another 9 months of waiting for another firmware upgrade to fix it :rolleyes:Does it matter that the PSU is making a high pitch noise ?My broadband access kit is located in a bedroom - yes, it would matter! :D I don't know if it causes any technical problems or safety concerns (e.g. fire risk). It probably just means it's cheap.

thenry
06-09-2011, 21:29
what are the specs of the PSU ? Can I match up and buy a decent one and link it up.

RB2004
07-09-2011, 15:27
specs are 12v 1.5amp

but many engineers are re-using the old VMNG300 power supply which is only 1amp.

I had the wrong power supply on mine, so I had to phone up and order another superhub, swapped the power supply and its working now.

Kymmy
07-09-2011, 15:33
Are they switch mode? If so it's just a little bit of parasitic oscillations and doesn't mean that the PSU will blow up.

thenry
07-09-2011, 16:09
anyone know of a decent manufacturer that sells PSU's? Also should I buy a decent PSU, will the SH be ok with it?

photodude
07-09-2011, 17:50
High pitch noise from a PSU points to a failing or poor quality capacitor inside it. If you don't mind the fact that the capacitor may well explode, filling the room with a god awful smell, and being a possible fire risk, you can wait.
Personally I'd just ask them to replace it, as I think it's far more important to have gear that will not set on fire, than it is to test some firmware LOL

thenry
07-09-2011, 18:47
it is real bad quality hardware but the fact techs have said they've installed these only makes me want to either buy my own decent quality adapter ? or wait until the firmware is released. Whats the point in asking for a replacement when that very replacement will end up doing the same.

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

sod it I'm going to order a new SH. I've just sent Mark a PM, hopefully he'll advise me what to do next.

KenK
07-09-2011, 22:16
<snip>it's just a little bit of parasitic oscillations and doesn't mean that the PSU will blow up.I'm sure that would be of great comfort at 3am when the noise is keeping someone awake - "it's only 'parasitic oscillations', now go to sleep"!

thenry
09-09-2011, 18:20
deliveries late as expected, no point quoting me a time if your not going to stick to it!!

found this while searching google > http://www.mrdaz.com/hdnl-driver-crashes-through-gate/

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

brilliant... The parcel is in the Depot now.. :confused:

Kymmy
09-09-2011, 19:08
I'm sure that would be of great comfort at 3am when the noise is keeping someone awake - "it's only 'parasitic oscillations', now go to sleep"!

Your words not mine... My comment was just a reassurance that it's not going to blow up..

As for noise the brain should cut it out in 15 minutes for a continuous noise :p:

KenK
09-09-2011, 21:32
High pitch noise from a PSU points to a failing or poor quality capacitor inside it. If you don't mind the fact that the capacitor may well explode, filling the room with a god awful smell, and being a possible fire risk <snip>
Your words not mine... My comment was just a reassurance that it's not going to blow up..It seems there is a difference of opinion.

In my view, given the number of PSUs I have used over the years: any such device which was made in the 21st century and which gives out a high pitch noise is faulty. It's a device that was perfected 20 years ago, there's no excuse for faults in any new ones now. (cheap and shoddy manufacturing is not an excuse.)
As for noise the brain should cut it out in 15 minutes for a continuous noise :p:I note the smiley, but: gee, thanks. I'd rather my tinnitus didn't have to cope with a continuous noise.

Kymmy
09-09-2011, 22:05
Switch modes tend to whistle depending on the input voltage (as voltage varies from place to place some will whine more than others and most will not whine at all).. where as transformer based PSU's whistle or hum depending on the transformer mounting or component quality..

The capacitor theory in this thread is purely speculative and if it was the case then it would never have passed quality testing and would be illegal to sell/use/supply in the UK as well as instantly being withdrawn if any were supplied ;)

thenry
12-09-2011, 13:14
finally got my new sh. i found a letter from VM within the box that advises me how to send my faulty unit back which is good I guess, they never use to want old equipment back. i'll wait for R30 to be released before I switch shubs.