PDA

View Full Version : Moving my internet into the same room as my TV

anthgav
13-07-2011, 12:43
Hi everyone
I have virgin TV installed in my living room and broadband internet installed in the upstairs bedroom which is on the same side of the house as the living room. The goal I want to achieve is to move the broadband into the living room where the TV is and to have the TV & Broadband coming out of the same box in the wall. I called Virgin up but they want to charge £100 to do it so I was wondering if its something I can do myself.

I have uploaded 3 photos of my current setup.

One is of the box outside the house which has a splitter 3.6db goes to the TV and 4db goes upstairs into the bedroom for the internet..............

the second picture is of the wall point in the living room.........

and the third picture is of the wall point in the bedroom for the internet.......

Could someone please advice me of how I should achieve my goal.

Thank you :)

pabscars
13-07-2011, 13:44
Take the tratec from picture 3 and swap it with picture 1 (only connect the wire to the TV and leave the wire going upstairs dangling), Make sure you get your in's and out's the correct way round

Then take the TV FM isolator off and swap it with splitter from picture 1

Then connect 1 wire from the splitter to your TV and connect the other to your modem/router.

Job done

Be sure to check your power levels after youve done the changes as depending on how long the cable run was to the modem (internet) you power levels may be on the high side afterwards.

If unsure give VM a call and they will happily do it for you, for a fee of course

scotmac
13-07-2011, 13:45
You could try fitting one of these . http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Way-Signal-Splitter-Cable-TV-3-F-plugs-NTL-Virgin-/220504724690?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item33571b14d2.
It is something similar that I have to take modem feed from the cable just before it connects to my V+Box to an other bedroom on my middle floor.Although I don`t know if VM would like you replacing the fitting in their wall point with it.

anthgav
13-07-2011, 22:29
Thanks for the replies, I've decided to go with pabscar's advice.
How do I check the power levels and should I check it before I make the changes so that I can compare the levels when I'm done?

jb66
13-07-2011, 22:50
No point checking the signal it's the same 2 way splitter it's going through

anthgav
16-07-2011, 02:35
thanks for the advice everyone, I changed all the filters around and everything works fine. :):):)