PDA

View Full Version : 30M Won't connect to certain web sites

markteacher
30-06-2011, 23:20
Hi everyone, first post and looking for a bit of advice, not sure if it is windows 7 or isp related, so here goes.

Ok, so this is a strange one.

Last week I changed my internet provider from Sky to Virgin, no problems.

But since then my shiny new-ish desktop wont access certain web sites, ones it had no problems with via Sky wifi.

Initially it was torrentbox . com which was set up on one of my tabs in Chrome and I thought perhaps it was blocked by Virgin because of the nature of the site, but then I set up my old XP laptop on the same router and it connects with no problem at all, it connects with my HTC Desire using the same wifi and also my Iconia Tablet (yes, I know, too many computers in one house!!) and in addition to this torrenthound . com runs perfectly on the new pc, which has a similar content.

Today I tried to access vodafone . co . uk and the same thing happened, no access with my new windows 7 pc, but instant access with the old one.

The error message I receive after a few moments is:

This web page is not available

The page at (address) might be temporarily down or moved permanently to a new web address.

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset.

Now obviously the web site hasn't moved and isn't down, as I have a laptop sitting on the same table, via the same router running it quite happily.

I thought it might be my antivirus but disabling it has had no effect.

This is very strange as it is only affecting one computer and only certain web sites -unfortunately the computer it affects is the newest one which I use the most.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks - Mark

gobbledigook
01-07-2011, 15:17
sounds like its a problem on your win7 machine and not a VM issue... (otherwise the sites would not be accessable by any machine on your LAN.

although i know next to nothing about win7.