PDA

View Full Version : Modems: are they coded, or interchangeable?

stripes
28-06-2011, 08:44
Hello.

Virgin cable, TV, phone, broadband.

Dodgy connections. Thought it might be the router (wired) so cut it out. Seems to be the modem.

As it happens, I've got a spare modem in the cupboard (bloke in the flat upstairs gave it to me when he moved out). It's the square black thing marked '256' underneath, same as my one.

Are they interchangeable, or will I have MAC problems if I connect the spare one in place of my possibly dodgy one. (I know I could phone it in, but it's all time etc...)

Thanks.

Allen.

Halcyon
28-06-2011, 08:45
They need to be registered with Virginmedia so are unlikely to work if you just plug it in.

Kymmy
28-06-2011, 08:46
Doubtful if the 256 will be registered to your account.. but only modems that are registered will work.. You can;t just ring them up and get it registered..

Give VM a call and they'll probably just replace the modem if you can prove it to be at fault

Chris
28-06-2011, 09:26
Hello.

Virgin cable, TV, phone, broadband.

Dodgy connections. Thought it might be the router (wired) so cut it out. Seems to be the modem.

As it happens, I've got a spare modem in the cupboard (bloke in the flat upstairs gave it to me when he moved out). It's the square black thing marked '256' underneath, same as my one.

Are they interchangeable, or will I have MAC problems if I connect the spare one in place of my possibly dodgy one. (I know I could phone it in, but it's all time etc...)

Thanks.

Allen.

The modem needs to be paired to your account so it won't work if you plug it in. VM will not (or rather should not) pair it if you just phone and ask them. But if you phone and tell them your broadband is playing up they will not charge for fixing it (unless they can prove you did something to break it, which is why it's usually better not to attempt DIY repairs).

stripes
28-06-2011, 11:09
Yes, as I feared, so it's the dreaded phone call to Virgin then the hanging around for the engineer to possibly turn up.

Ah well, it was worth asking. (No, nothing illegal or dodgy here, just modem sitting getting dusty for 4+ years).

Thanks for the info.

Allen.

Kymmy
28-06-2011, 11:09
If it's a standard modem swap then likely to just be sent out to you..

qasdfdsaq
28-06-2011, 11:19
Which seems a waste of time and money if he already has one...

BenMcr
28-06-2011, 13:49
Which seems a waste of time and money if he already has one...It's a security measure as much as anything. Anything could have been done to the modem to make it do something it shouldn't

qasdfdsaq
29-06-2011, 06:25
Hmm fair point. But what's to say if the user has tampered with the old modem, they can't/won't tamper with the new one too?

Nopanic
29-06-2011, 07:02
Hmm fair point. But what's to say if the user has tampered with the old modem, they can't/won't tamper with the new one too?

Its more about people modifying and selling modems, 99% of users wont have the knowledge to hack a modem.

qasdfdsaq
29-06-2011, 07:53
So it's to stop people who've bought (or sold) modified modems rather than people who have an old, genuine VM supplied modem, but this second group gets stopped as a side effect? Seems very wasteful to me, especially given up until recently VM didn't usually bother collecting old modems. Meh.

stripes
29-06-2011, 10:22
Interesting replies, but as it happens, it seems to be the old Belkin wired router all along! (Unless it is one of those REALLY frustrating faults which only occurs sometimes. Bah. On the basis that I think I've pinned it down to the router, I've ordered another one, as they're relatively cheap).

Anyway, on the security issue, isn't there a slightly better (more reliable way) of ensuring Virgin's security? Viz, I know on the TV I have a V+ box, without which I couldn't interpret the incoming signal, but my phone line isn't guarded by any Virgin sentries, and I can plug anything into it I want.

Allen.

Chris
29-06-2011, 10:27
I'm not sure what mischief you think could be perpetrated by attaching something to a phone line though?

Kymmy
29-06-2011, 10:29
There is only one fool proof measure of internet security, it involves a pair of scissors and your modem cable.. Let me know if you want any more explicit instructions :rofl:

stripes
29-06-2011, 13:49
No, I see your point, and you're right, of course.

I accept that I have to have a V+box, carded/coded, to get my tele, so the same has to apply to the broadband.

It's only that I've had bad experiences of 'help' lines (gord, what a misnomer) etc. in the past!

Oh, and as it happened, it WAS the sodding router - threw up quite similar problems to a duff modem, but recabling etc. proved that it wasn't the modem, and a new £14 wired Belkin router now seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the interest.

Allen.

Chris
29-06-2011, 14:07
There is only one fool proof measure of internet security, it involves a pair of scissors and your modem cable.. Let me know if you want any more explicit instructions :rofl:

Ah ... Now I get it. Did you ever go war-dialling in your misspent youth then? I bet this was your favourite film ever.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/06/4.jpg

:D

Nopanic
01-07-2011, 04:02
So it's to stop people who've bought (or sold) modified modems rather than people who have an old, genuine VM supplied modem, but this second group gets stopped as a side effect? Seems very wasteful to me, especially given up until recently VM didn't usually bother collecting old modems. Meh.

Problem is, by the time most customers leave VM the modem they had is no longer supplied or there is a new version.

Why give a new customer an old device, as with anything else electrical devices deteriorate with age.

hansi
01-07-2011, 07:02
Yes, as I feared, so it's the dreaded phone call to Virgin then the hanging around for the engineer to possibly turn up.

Ah well, it was worth asking. (No, nothing illegal or dodgy here, just modem sitting getting dusty for 4+ years).

Thanks for the info.

Allen.

Why don't you try asking on the Virgin Support Forums. In my experience, they can book an engineer quicker than you ringing VM for one!

qasdfdsaq
01-07-2011, 13:37
Problem is, by the time most customers leave VM the modem they had is no longer supplied or there is a new version.

Why give a new customer an old device, as with anything else electrical devices deteriorate with age.
I've had the Scientific Atlanta modem since I first left VM six years ago, and it's still being issued.

I see it the other way round. Why waste a good, working product and throw it away to replace it with a new one uneccessarily? After all, they are collecting and re-using Superhubs now, which don't even work as well to begin with, let alone second hand, and has a lot more components that could go wrong over time.

Throwing away or wasting working products is just bad for everyone. Bad for the consumer, bad for VM, bad for the environment.

Nopanic
01-07-2011, 13:49
I've had the Scientific Atlanta modem since I first left VM six years ago, and it's still being issued.

Not to new customers it isn't.

qasdfdsaq
01-07-2011, 16:36
But it is to existing customers.

BenMcr
05-07-2011, 16:33
But it is to existing customers.If it is it'll be only for those that already have a modem that has failed due to fault - and they will be ones that were already in the inventory

hjf288
05-07-2011, 19:01
Do Virgin want my old NTL branded modems back? NTL never came to collect them back in the day...

BenMcr
05-07-2011, 19:46
Virgin don't collect any modems back in, only the Hubs

Nopanic
05-07-2011, 21:15
Virgin don't collect any modems back in, only the Hubs

VMNG's if a tech spots one :D

KenK
05-07-2011, 22:04
Virgin don't collect any modems back in, only the HubsSo: they're Virgin's property at all times (ask Masque), but Virgin's responsibility only lasts until Virgin doesn't want them any more - at which time disposal becomes the customer's responsibility, but if we sell them we're dealing in stolen goods. And we have no guarantee that Virgin aren't going to bill us for the non-return at some time. What happened to the WEEE directive?

BenMcr
06-07-2011, 10:04
What happened to the WEEE directive?Virgin comply with it. Where they physically replace kit, they will remove the old equipment - as per the WEEE directive. If it's replaced by delivery, customers can return the kit Virgin do want back via the pre-paid returns box.

For any kit they don't want back, Virgin also are part of the 'Distributor Take Back Scheme' which contributes to local council facilities - again as per the WEEE directive

KenK
06-07-2011, 21:20
Virgin comply with it. ...
For any kit they don't want back, Virgin also are part of the 'Distributor Take Back Scheme' which contributes to local council facilities - again as per the WEEE directiveThat's what I said - when Virgin no longer want the kit, disposal becomes the customer's responsibility. In other words, it's up to me to get rid of their property in a way that agrees with their obligations. I can't be bothered checking, perhaps someone can point out the section of the Virgin Media Ts&Cs that says I have to do that.

How much old Virgin property is gathering dust in cupboards, and how much is already in landfill? We'll never know, and I suspect Virgin don't care.

Nopanic
07-07-2011, 19:00
That's what I said - when Virgin no longer want the kit, disposal becomes the customer's responsibility. In other words, it's up to me to get rid of their property in a way that agrees with their obligations. I can't be bothered checking, perhaps someone can point out the section of the Virgin Media Ts&Cs that says I have to do that.

How much old Virgin property is gathering dust in cupboards, and how much is already in landfill? We'll never know, and I suspect Virgin don't care.

If we or you end these agreements, if you decide to disconnect from some of our services, or if you wish to take up an offer to upgrade the equipment we provide to you, you must return the equipment to us or (if we choose) make it available for collection in a reasonable condition, allowing for fair wear and tear. If you fail to return or make available the equipment for collection for any reason, we are entitled to charge you for the replacement cost and reasonable recovery costs of the equipment. If we hold any money we may use that money towards the cost of the equipment. If we have supplied you with any additional equipment, we'd encourage you to dispose of it responsibly if you're no longer using it so please contact us for further information about disposing of your additional equipment.

KenK
07-07-2011, 22:23
Thanks, Nopanic, your quote has proved my point.
you must return the equipment to us [ok, it's VMs property, you can have it back - now take it]...
we are entitled to charge you for the replacement cost and reasonable recovery costs [hang on to it, you never know when they're going to bill you for it] ...
If we have supplied you with any additional equipment [Somewhere they'll define "additional equipment". I think this refers to separate routers and wireless network dongles, not to VM-owned kit that they've failed to take back.]

Basically, the customers are not allowed to dispose of VM property in any way, we must just keep it on the off-chance that the owners want it back.

Wny don't VM live up to the terms of their OWN Ts&Cs, and take responsibility for their OWN equipment?