PDA

View Full Version : 50M Virginmedia blame ACTIVISION for blackops issues.

Charliedontsurf
25-06-2011, 11:16
Well they have blamed us customers,they have denied any problems and now they say its Activisions fault.

Anyone with VM broadband will know the service does not work well with xboxlive eg-"Halo reach" gives a bandwidth warning, Blackops is unplayable if you get host this is on a 50Mb service.

I would expect these problems with a 2mb ADSL but not a 50Mb service but anyway...

Virginmedia have now blamed the games publisher even though the problems seem to be exclusively effecting VM users

CLICK (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/23/virgin_media_blames_activision_for_call_of_duty_la g/)

vmfriend
25-06-2011, 13:33
Have you set your search preferences to locale only because if I get matched up to US players it is awful.

To be honest the matchmaking on cod has always been awful, intermittent issues with lobbies, random boots out of games.

I don't generally have problems when I am host, occasionally get patty games but that is the nature of online gaming in my opinion.

_wtf_
25-06-2011, 16:51
VM may well blame Activision and we all know Black Ops is pretty poor but I've had BT installed purely for gaming and a wireless connection to the BT Hub on 8Mb down 448Kb up is better than my VM connection :confused:

And before people start saying VM is the best blah blah blah. Do you honestly think I would have had BT installed if my VM connection was ok? To my mind VM is all about quantity rather than quality. Note I'm not moving to BT, it's as well as for gaming.

Stephen
25-06-2011, 16:53
I have no problems playing COD online via VM?

_wtf_
25-06-2011, 17:11

Is that a question?

Funny how some people don't have trouble even though VM are trying to sort out the trouble :confused:

Stuart
25-06-2011, 17:29
Is that a question?

Funny how some people don't have trouble even though VM are trying to sort out the trouble :confused:

That's the funny thing about problems. They don't necessarily affect everyone.

_wtf_
25-06-2011, 17:48
That's the funny thing about problems. They don't necessarily affect everyone.

Totally agree but it must be affecting quite a few people if VM are trying to consult Activision about it though don't you think? Especially as they've just about exhausted discussing the problems with the XBoxLive people.

adzii_nufc
25-06-2011, 17:49
Service is completely fine with ALL Activision games here.

Host or not Host I can play fine.

Mick Fisher
25-06-2011, 17:54
You have a truly great VM installation there Stephen.

And you certainly go out of your way to let us all know.

It's a really helpful thing to know and know and know and............................................... ;)

Can't you just put: "I HAVE A VM CONNECTION THAT WORKS :shocked:" in your sig. and leave it at that? :D

Charliedontsurf
25-06-2011, 21:38

Checking your combat record on Blackops its seems you're pretty useless at the game so I doubt you would notice any issues with connection.

An watching your gameplay videos you really are woeful lol and its clear at some points connection has let you down.

Stephen
25-06-2011, 22:14
Checking your combat record on Blackops its seems you're pretty useless at the game so I doubt you would notice any issues with connection.

An watching your gameplay videos you really are woeful lol and its clear at some points connection has let you down.
I am not useless at all, I simply don't play that often and certainly don't spend 10 hours a day playing online. I have real life things that come first so for me I just enjoy playing online, I don't take it hardcore and play all the time. Its just a bit of fun.

Nothing do do with my connection at all just a regualr player playing for fun every so often. I don't care about my rank or the fact that I have never prestiged.

adzii_nufc
25-06-2011, 23:13
What does his playing ability have to do with his Virgin media products working properly.

Sirius
25-06-2011, 23:18
What does his playing ability have to do with his Virgin media products working properly.

Nothing its just a cheap attack on him and the company he works for.

blade85
26-06-2011, 00:16
I play a crap load of games (including BO) and honestly I have very rarely had any issues. I'm just on the 10meg connection as well. Only have lag when the host happens to be American. Other wise, UK and EU hosts give me a fairly stable connection.

Charliedontsurf
26-06-2011, 00:20
Nothing its just a cheap attack on him and the company he works for.

Hey he maybe he is great at other games but not very good at blackops. VIRGINMEDIA DEFENCE FORCE go!!!!!!!!! badrep this bad man now..

Oh you both already did.

qasdfdsaq
26-06-2011, 08:12

LOL, no seriously that literally made me laugh out loud.

But honestly, people who play more (and/or better) are more likely to notice minor connection related issues, and if the videos show concrete evidence of it, he may have a point. Sometimes you don't notice how laggy it actually was until watching the video back later. And again, just because someone doesn't notice a problem, doesn't mean there isn't one.

Efour
26-06-2011, 08:37
makes perfect sense to me that he wouldn't notice how crap the connection was if he doesn't play as much.

Its like my mechanic mate who got in my car told me that he could hear the fan belt was about to cock up... I didn't have a clue, I know nothing about cars.

Stephen
26-06-2011, 22:19
Hey he maybe he is great at other games but not very good at blackops. VIRGINMEDIA DEFENCE FORCE go!!!!!!!!! badrep this bad man now..

Oh you both already did.

I also play MW2 occasionally along with GT5 and Forza 3 and have no lag issues at all on any of them. My ping is always good on them too.

I'm not bad at any of them at all, just not as good as those that play for hours on a daily basis.:rolleyes:

markie1966
26-06-2011, 22:36
thats the problem tho.....u dont notice theres a bad connection until either u look at videos or someone in game tells u ur lagging

try turning on lagometer in game to see if ur lagging....is that on blk ops btw?...or use winmtr to do a trace to ur game server

let winmtr run for a good 10 minutes or so too to get an average result....any packetloss will show up in the % column

Stephen
26-06-2011, 22:47
You would notice the lag straight away in games, especially in racing games. Whenever the game I am connected to has lagged, cars jerking back and forward and vanishing is a sure sure there is something wrong. As I say that never really happens to me.

qasdfdsaq
27-06-2011, 02:26
That's not lag, that's jitter and loss. Lag looks and feels completely different to vehicles/people/objects jerking back and forward and vanishing. Lag does not cause what you describe.

Stephen
27-06-2011, 10:47
That's not lag, that's jitter and loss. Lag looks and feels completely different to vehicles/people/objects jerking back and forward and vanishing. Lag does not cause what you describe.
So high ping in a game and jerky obects aren't lag? What is it then?

Charliedontsurf
27-06-2011, 10:50
You would notice the lag straight away in games, especially in racing games. Whenever the game I am connected to has lagged, cars jerking back and forward and vanishing is a sure sure there is something wrong. As I say that never really happens to me.

What you don't seem to understand is..............

When its your car that's lagging and jumping around you don't notice. On your screen it looks like your driving around fine but to everyone else your car is warping all over the place.

Stephen
27-06-2011, 10:51
What you don't seem to understand is..............

When its your car that's lagging and jumping around you don't notice. On your screen it looks like your driving around fine but to everyone else your car is warping all over the place.
No but you would notice everyone elses jerking around.

Charliedontsurf
27-06-2011, 10:58

It is lag, jitter and loss cause the game server/host console to not have enough information to correctly put you in the game where you should be.

As the correct info gets through the game puts you in the correct place but then suffers more loss, then it gets the correct infomation again and warps you to your correct position.

Lag is the information needed not getting put through fast enough, it has a million causes.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

No not necessarily, on your screen everything seems fine but to the other players in the game you are warping and jumping around. If you're the host console and everyone else is warping then that will also be your connection.

adzii_nufc
27-06-2011, 13:21
"For the last two or three months now people have been unable to play any Xbox game without encountering issues. Basically because Virgin have a traffic management policy that borders on the absurd and all console gaming traffic is now P2P you can kiss goodbye playing on the Xbox no matter if you are on 30Mbit/s,50Mbit/s or 100Mbit/s connection," Paul told us.

What an unbelievable crock of crap!

There are thousands upon thousands of us playing this game and other xbox 360 games for that matter without a single problem. Another guy thinking he speaks for the whole Virgin Media customer base.

I refuse to blame Activision or Virgin media for the problems some players are having until one has solid proof of the other at fault.

_wtf_
27-06-2011, 14:43
"For the last two or three months now people have been unable to play any Xbox game without encountering issues. Basically because Virgin have a traffic management policy that borders on the absurd and all console gaming traffic is now P2P you can kiss goodbye playing on the Xbox no matter if you are on 30Mbit/s,50Mbit/s or 100Mbit/s connection," Paul told us.
What an unbelievable crock of crap!

Really?

I realise you probably will not visit the link and read what one of the VM technical people have written about the issue but for others who don't just want to say VM are the best blah, blah, blah, here's a link that proves VM acknowledge there's a problem for some people.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-XBox-Issues-12-05-11/td-p/436611

As for saying there's thousands of people not having problems well there's probably an equal amount having them, certainly enough for VM to be investigating them with the XBoxLive folks and the Activision folks.

When the people you are trying to defend admit there's a problem how can you possibly keep saying there's not?

qasdfdsaq
27-06-2011, 16:57
That's not lag, that's jitter and loss. Lag looks and feels completely different to vehicles/people/objects jerking back and forward and vanishing. Lag does not cause what you describe.So high ping in a game and jerky obects aren't lag? What is it then?
Jitter and loss, like I just said.

Consistent high ping with no jerky objects = lag. Jerky objects with or without high ping = jitter and loss.

Jitter and loss make your ping go all over the place, including high. It is this same all over the place-ness that makes objects jerk all over the place. Not lag. Since you don't actually seem to know what lag is, or the difference between ping, jitter, and loss, I think I'll leave it to someone else to judge if your connection lags or not, based on video evidence.

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Upstream and downstream work differently on cable systems, so more often than not, loss, jitter, or latency happens on one without the other.

Stephen
27-06-2011, 17:25
Jitter and loss, like I just said.

Consistent high ping with no jerky objects = lag. Jerky objects with or without high ping = jitter and loss.

Jitter and loss make your ping go all over the place, including high. It is this same all over the place-ness that makes objects jerk all over the place. Not lag. Since you don't actually seem to know what lag is, or the difference between ping, jitter, and loss, I think I'll leave it to someone else to judge if your connection lags or not, based on video evidence.

You were told this in rensponse to you post to me

It is lag, jitter and loss cause the game server/host console to not have enough information to correctly put you in the game where you should be.

As the correct info gets through the game puts you in the correct place but then suffers more loss, then it gets the correct infomation again and warps you to your correct position.

Lag is the information needed not getting put through fast enough, it has a million causes.

Skie
27-06-2011, 18:10
Jitter/Loss is the main culprit.

If you have a rock solid 100ms ping, your actions will happen later than others but you wont experience many issues other than this. So you'll die because someone with a lower ping shot you first, and then the server will warp your view back to where you died. This is lag. But because your ping is consistent, the server can predict your movement with great accuracy and you wont warp around.

Jitter/loss cause you to warp around because the server is not getting the updates when it is expecting them, so it is just extending its predictions based on out of date info. Once your packets get to the server, then it corrects its interpretations and other players see you warp back to where you see yourself (unless of course they killed you while your avatar was bumbling around with predicted movement)

qasdfdsaq
27-06-2011, 23:12
You were told this in rensponse to you post to me
I can't understand what charlie's saying or what your point is so please explain.

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Jitter/Loss is the main culprit.

If you have a rock solid 100ms ping, your actions will happen later than others but you wont experience many issues other than this. So you'll die because someone with a lower ping shot you first, and then the server will warp your view back to where you died. This is lag. But because your ping is consistent, the server can predict your movement with great accuracy and you wont warp around.

Jitter/loss cause you to warp around because the server is not getting the updates when it is expecting them, so it is just extending its predictions based on out of date info. Once your packets get to the server, then it corrects its interpretations and other players see you warp back to where you see yourself (unless of course they killed you while your avatar was bumbling around with predicted movement)
Pretty much spot on.

If anyone still doesn't understand what lag is, try wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

or a dictionary:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/lag?rskey=2t01EI&result=1

adzii_nufc
28-06-2011, 07:07
Really?

I realise you probably will not visit the link and read what one of the VM technical people have written about the issue but for others who don't just want to say VM are the best blah, blah, blah, here's a link that proves VM acknowledge there's a problem for some people.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-XBox-Issues-12-05-11/td-p/436611

As for saying there's thousands of people not having problems well there's probably an equal amount having them, certainly enough for VM to be investigating them with the XBoxLive folks and the Activision folks.

When the people you are trying to defend admit there's a problem how can you possibly keep saying there's not?

I didn't say there was not a problem? I said what he is saying is an absolute load of crap by claiming everyone can kiss gaming goodbye and then I pointed to the evidence of people still having no problems what so ever. I should of made that part of the quote bold.