PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from up to 20Mb to up to 30Mb for just £30

JethroUK
18-06-2011, 15:22
Upgrade from up to 20Mb to up to 30Mb for just £30 (http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html)

I have 10 meg BB /L and the article says:

If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30 and you'll get £5 off your bill for 6 months.

More speed, more of the good stuff
Here's what's included:

Virgin Media Super Hub wireless modem and router
Increased speed and reliability
10GB of online storage space (plenty for 4000 photos, 2000 music tracks, 16 videos or 800 documents)
Up to 50 free photo prints each month
Unlimited downloads of music, films and photos

This sounds like I would pay £30 and get it all back at £5 month = Free

Am I missing something - additional monthly fee?

Kymmy
18-06-2011, 15:54
The difference between 10Mb and 30Mb would be the amount extra..

denphone
18-06-2011, 16:47
So if l upgrade from 10Mb to 30Mb l will get 5.00 off for the first 6 months and only have to pay the activation fee and can this be done over the phone.

Kymmy
18-06-2011, 17:41
Nope, if you upgrade you'll have to pay the new package fee (so the difference as stated in post #2

The £5 off is counteracted by the upgrade fee so in the end the upgrade is free

denphone
18-06-2011, 17:44
Nope, if you upgrade you'll have to pay the new package fee (so the difference as stated in post #2

The £5 off is counteracted by the upgrade fee so in the end the upgrade is free

So after the six months are up how much will l be paying for 30Mb.

Kymmy
18-06-2011, 17:50
If you take the new prices for standalone £7.50 more than 10Mb but that does depend on your current bill and package..

The offer is purely a way of saying "You pay for the upgrade and we'll knock that off your bill £5 at a time"

denphone
18-06-2011, 18:05
If you take the new prices for standalone £7.50 more than 10Mb but that does depend on your current bill and package..

The offer is purely a way of say "You pay for the upgrade and we'll know that off your bill £5 at a time"

Thanks.

Kymmy
18-06-2011, 18:11
The advert is slightly misleading as it's the 20Mb subscribers that get the upgrade for no extra fee.. But they it seems don't get the £5 off for 6 months

Charliedontsurf
18-06-2011, 18:13
The advert is slightly misleading as it's the 20Mb subscribers that get the upgrade for no extra fee.. But they it seems don't get the £5 off for 6 months

An £5 a month for 6 months equals---------£30 so its all much of a muchness.

Kymmy
18-06-2011, 18:24
20Mb users pay the £30 but don't get the £5 off, 10Mb users do.. it's the usual carrot to get you to upgrade to a higher paid service

denphone
18-06-2011, 18:35
20Mb users pay the £30 but don't get the £5 off, 10Mb users do.. it's the usual carrot to get you to upgrade to a higher paid service

Well l will have to upgrade next week as l could do with the extra speed at not at much further cost.

JethroUK
18-06-2011, 19:34
The difference between 10Mb and 30Mb would be the amount extra..

So there is a monthly fee aswell - wish they would make that clear

Kymmy
18-06-2011, 19:38
So there is a monthly fee aswell - wish they would make that clear

Your thread title is correct, it's the 10Mb upgraders that pay extra

Charliedontsurf
18-06-2011, 20:15
I think people think the £30 upgrade is all they will pay not understanding the £30 is to cover the the button press and the new CPE if needed.

After the upgrade fee you will have to pay for your new service at the standard rate, which could be anything with VM's billing system.

Of course you may find others on the same tear of service as you pay less, this can be sorted out if you pay the "conversion fee".

fixerman
19-06-2011, 05:10
Think very carefully before you go for this upgrade. There are many reports of problems with the so called Superhub. Go through this forum for more information. Mine is stable at present but I have had wireless issues. A lot of customers are very dissatisfied after "Upgrading".:erm:

denphone
19-06-2011, 08:18
Think very carefully before you go for this upgrade. There are many reports of problems with the so called Superhub. Go through this forum for more information. Mine is stable at present but I have had wireless issues. A lot of customers are very dissatisfied after "Upgrading".:erm:

This is what worries me as l would like to upgrade to 30Mb but l have concerns about this superhub.

JethroUK
19-06-2011, 08:49
This is what worries me as l would like to upgrade to 30Mb but l have concerns about this superhub.

You can still upgrade to 30 meg without taking superhub (keep your old hub)

Looking at website they dont even list 20 meg anymore so if you're already on 20 meg they should upgrade you to 30 meg (new spec) for free

I would be on the phone today

Kymmy
19-06-2011, 08:58
They will not supply 30Mb through the old 20Mb modems (ambit 255/6..etc) you need either a vmg300 or a superhub. They will fit a superhub if you don't have the vmg300.

The £30 is the upgrade fee and the 20-30Mb upgrade is not free..

Peter_
19-06-2011, 13:22
You can still upgrade to 30 meg without taking superhub (keep your old hub)
No you cannot as all other modems are Docsis 1/2 and you need a Docsis 3 modem to get 30Mb and above.

Looking at website they dont even list 20 meg anymore so if you're already on 20 meg they should upgrade you to 30 meg (new spec) for free

I would be on the phone today
Sorry again not possible as 20Mb is now a legacy tier and will continue to exist for the foreseeable future, so to upgrade from 20Mb to 30Mb would require you to pay the one off £30 activation and delivery fee for a Superhub otherwise you will just remain on 20Mb.

Tuvoc
22-06-2011, 15:53
so to upgrade from 20Mb to 30Mb would require you to pay the one off £30 activation and delivery fee for a Superhub otherwise you will just remain on 20Mb.

There are probably hundreds of people like me with a brilliantly reliable 20MB service and wireless network who will not upgrade to any higher speed because of the superhub.

denphone
22-06-2011, 15:58
There are probably hundreds of people like me with a brilliantly reliable 20MB service and wireless network who will not upgrade to any higher speed because of the superhub.

Well l am on 10Mb and thats the reason l am scared of upgrading because of the superhub.

Hugh
22-06-2011, 16:02
Well l am on 10Mb and thats the reason l am scared of upgrading because of the superhub.
Does anyone near you have VM with a VMGD480 (aka superhub)? - if so, ask them how it works for them.

But at the end of the day, if you are not confident in it's abilities, don't get it.

(My 480 has been fine, but as reported here and elsewhere, not everyone has had the same experience).

denphone
22-06-2011, 16:05
Does anyone near you have VM with a VMGD480 (aka superhub)? - if so, ask them how it works for them.

But at the end of the day, if you are not confident in it's abilities, don't get it.

(My 480 has been fine, but as reported here and elsewhere, not everyone has had the same experience).

l will ask a couple of my neighbours and see if they have what you mentioned but thanks for your advice.

photodude
22-06-2011, 16:52
I'm getting upgraded fro free on Friday (due to issues already posted here), and assume I will have the superhub installed. These horror stories don't worry me, because they are low in numbers, compared to the volume of hubs out there. At the end of the day, 95% of reviews/reports on electrical items, are going to be bad, because people use the internet to moan/complain/try to fix an issue. It's very rare that people hit the net to say how wonderful their new superhub (or what ever) is. So it stands to reason that most stories you read, are going to be about problems with an item.
Should the superhub create issues for me, I will simply get it replaced, fix it myself, or have words in some ears at CS, to resolve the issue. Should that fail, and the superhub really will not work, I will just ask to be put back to the SA 2100 modem and 20meg LOL
PS: Google any ISP supplied hardware, and you will nearly always see complaints, rather than praise ;-)

JethroUK
22-06-2011, 17:00

but for every one customer like you (who knows about the issues) there's 100's VM customers just order on the basis of what the see

Peter_
22-06-2011, 17:33
but for every one customer like you (who knows about the issues) there's 100's VM customers just order on the basis of what the see
The are thousands and thousands of customers without any issue and the ones with issues are in the minority, remember people in the main only post on here or similar forums to complain.

denphone
22-06-2011, 17:36
The are thousands and thousands of customers without any issue and the ones with issues are in the minority, remember people in the main only post on here or similar forums to complain.

Yeah and there are probably thousands with issues and remember you are not going to admit of any serious problems are you Masque.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 17:50
Yeah and there are probably thousands with issues and remember you are not going to admit of any serious problems are you Masque.
If the were that many with issues it would have made the national news by now.

denphone
22-06-2011, 17:54

No we just want to know whether Virgin are telling us the truth about the superhub or are concealing its true problems.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:02
No we just want to know whether Virgin are telling us the truth about the superhub or are concealing its true problems.
Well my Superhub is a prime example at the moment it has been online for System Up Time39 days 00h:49m:12s to date and it was only rebooted because I moved my office around also below is a typical speedtest which is rock solid.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/06/29.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Soon we will have a second Superhub made by a different manufacturer so that we can keep up with the supply and demand that we have at present.

It will look identical with the same interface but built by another supplier but will be issued alongside the present Superhub with no choice over which will be supplied.

Kymmy
22-06-2011, 18:03
Let's not turn this into another "superhub issue" thread.. It's about a simple upgrade.. If you wish to discuss superhubs then please use one of the existing threads

denphone
22-06-2011, 18:08
Well my Superhub is a prime example at the moment it has been online for System Up Time39 days 00h:49m:12s to date and it was only rebooted because I moved my office around also below is a typical speedtest which is rock solid.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/06/29.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Soon we will have a second Superhub made by a different manufacturer so that we can keep up with the supply and demand that we have at present.

It will look identical with the same interface but built by another supplier but will be issued alongside the present Superhub with no choice over which will be supplied.

Is there any date for the release of this second Superhub.

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Let's not turn this into another "superhub issue" thread.. It's about a simple upgrade.. If you wish to discuss superhubs then please use one of the existing threads

Sorry.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:11
Is there any date for the release of this second Superhub.

The new Superhub should arrive in the third quarter and will come with modem mode as will the existing Superhub before its arrival and anyone upgrading to 30Mb has an equal chance at that time of receiving either device.

I would advise anyone to give 30Mb a go as it is worth the £30 charge which even staff members have to pay.

qasdfdsaq
22-06-2011, 18:28
It did. Back in February. And again in April.

denphone
22-06-2011, 18:31
The new Superhub should arrive in the third quarter and will come with modem mode as will the existing Superhub before its arrival and anyone upgrading to 30Mb has an equal chance at that time of receiving either device.

I would advise anyone to give 30Mb a go as it is worth the £30 charge which even staff members have to pay.

l do not mind the activation charge but is it true for the first six months you get 5.00 taken off your bill.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:32
It did. Back in February. And again in April.
It has made headlines in newspapers but it is not on the national television news and very soon we will have modem mode.

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

l do not mind the activation charge but is it true for the first six months you get 5.00 taken off your bill.
I have not heard of that before and I rather doubt it, it maybe one of the new customer deals.

denphone
22-06-2011, 18:37
It has made headlines in newspapers but it is not on the national television news and very soon we will have modem mode.

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

I have not heard of that before and I rather doubt it, it maybe one of the new customer deals.

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Is this it.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:41
---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Is this it.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html
As you can see I have no dealings with sales so that is the first time I have seen it, I never got that reduction on my bill.:(:erm::D

Kymmy
22-06-2011, 18:44
It's only 10Mb upgrading to 30Mb that get the £5 discount as you're upgrading the package.. 20/30 is basically seen as the same package

denphone
22-06-2011, 18:50
It's only 10Mb upgrading to 30Mb that get the £5 discount as you're upgrading the package.. 20/30 is basically seen as the same package

Well l will phone them up tomorrow and see where it gets me.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:51
Well l will phone them up tomorrow and see where it gets me.
Kymmy is right and I forgot that she pointed this out earlier in this thread or a similar one.

denphone
22-06-2011, 18:53
Kymmy is right and I forgot that she pointed this out earlier in this thread or a similar one.

Thanks.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:55
Thanks.
It is in your link above.

If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30 and you'll get £5 off your bill for 6 months.

denphone
22-06-2011, 19:00
It is in your link above.

Well l will have to take the jump as because l use and download music and photo's quite a lot l could do with the extra speed.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 19:04
Well l will have to take the jump as because l use and download music and photo's quite a lot l could do with the extra speed.
It is worth the £30 cost for the increase in speed and I would recommend it to anyone based on my experience.

denphone
22-06-2011, 19:09
It is worth the £30 cost for the increase in speed and I would recommend it to anyone based on my experience.

You have convinced me.

qasdfdsaq
22-06-2011, 19:10
Superhub aside it puts you on a newer, faster section of the network with more capacity and has anecdotally helped some people with congested or unreliable connections get better service.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 19:12
Superhub aside it puts you on a newer, faster section of the network with more capacity and has anecdotally helped some people with congested or unreliable connections get better service.
Which is also a good reason to upgrade.

Tuvoc
22-06-2011, 19:58

I don't think I've ever seen less than 19 on my 20Mb connection on speedtests, so I'm in a good situation anyway

photodude
24-06-2011, 17:44
Well I got mine installed today, and I have to say, so far, I'm impressed.
Pushed it to the limits on LAN, bouncing files all over the place, and no problems.
Streamed movies round the house, and still no problems.
Fired up PS3, and connection and speeds are spot on.
Both N and G wireless laptops working spot on.
And the speeds I get are more than I'm contracted for :D
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/06/25.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

What can I say?
I'll let you know if I find fault, but I've thrown all sorts at it, and it's as sweet as a nut IMHO

denphone
24-06-2011, 17:50
Yes l have phoned them up today to upgrade to 30Mb and they will send the superhub to arrive on wednesday delivered by UBS so here's hoping for no problems.

virginruinedntl
29-06-2011, 12:52
what exactly is the new modem in the newer superhub, what difference will it be to the current superhub? will it support gigabit or something?

BenMcr
29-06-2011, 12:56
what exactly is the new modem in the newer superhub, what difference will it be to the current superhub? will it support gigabit or something?If you are talking about a version of the SuperHub made by someone else then the technical specs will basically be the same (on purpose)

The point of an 'other vendor' version is to have the same thing made by two different companies, not different things

kenoliver
29-06-2011, 16:51

The main reason I have not done it

I have 20 at the moment, but my package entitles me to 30, but I won't replace my Time Capsule with the SuperHub until it can act just as a modem, (in bridge mode)

Also the power consumption seem quite high at 12.7 watts

My Time Capsule is solid, runs 2 networks has 1TB network storage, and including the ntl modem only uses 8 watt's at peaks 5 watt's on standby

Every little helps the Green Effort :)

denphone
29-06-2011, 16:55
Well l installed my Super Hub today and so far its working very smoothly.

kenoliver
29-06-2011, 17:05
Well l installed my Super Hub today and so far its working very smoothly.

Bet you notice the speed difference, have you tested it yet?

darkm
29-06-2011, 17:39
Im still waiting to see the the speed difference in my upload, still at 1.7meg, virgin still looking into the issue....It cant be that hard to fix..Though download speed is great.

denphone
29-06-2011, 17:43
Bet you notice the speed difference, have you tested it yet?

No not yet but l will later on but first impressions are very good.

kenoliver
30-06-2011, 13:07
The main reason I have not done it

I have 20 at the moment, but my package entitles me to 30, but I won't replace my Time Capsule with the SuperHub until it can act just as a modem, (in bridge mode)

Just been told today by VM that the new Superhub can be put in Bridge Mode, and used as a modem only

I have one coming next week as part of the upgrade I took in April

So if thats the case I will be very happy

Must say I was so impressed with the Customer Service I received today from the relevant VM staff, I have had to email and thank them :)

virginruinedntl
30-06-2011, 13:53
the current superhub doesn't enable you to disable wireless? surely not? That would definitely stop me from upgrading to 30mb.

kenoliver
30-06-2011, 14:13
the current superhub doesn't enable you to disable wireless? surely not? That would definitely stop me from upgrading to 30mb.

I'm not an expert but from reading the on-line manual you have always been able to disable its wireless function

Either using the menu, or holding down the Blue Logo Button for 6 seconds

As I say I'm not an expert and others on this Thread are far more able to comment on this, or correct me if needed

My main requirement is just to use it as a Modem, so I can get the speed upgrade I am paying for but still use my Time Capsule as my wireless device

Pea-Pod
01-07-2011, 20:37
Can you still buy a wireless router from independant vendor and ask for the upgrade to 30MB or is it only available with VM's superhub?

kenoliver
02-07-2011, 17:09
Just been told today by VM that the new Superhub can be put in Bridge Mode, and used as a modem only

I have one coming next week as part of the upgrade I took in April

So if thats the case I will be very happy

Must say I was so impressed with the Customer Service I received today from the relevant VM staff, I have had to email and thank them :)

Got my Superhub today and using the Guide here (http://www.remedialthoughts.com/2011/02/how-to-virgin-media-super-hub-apple.html)

I set it up with my Time Capsule, the Hub acts as a router only and the Time Capsule takes care of the wireless part

When I upgraded I was told the Hub could be put in Bridge Mode, well it can't
unless you follow the above guide

Getting good speeds both wired and Wireless but the Time Capsule is doing all the work as for as the Wireless part is concerned as per thumbnail below

I am pleased with the upgrade thanks VM

Pea-Pod
05-07-2011, 19:48
Just ordered the superhub (hope I don't regret this, I've always been tethered by ethernet cable and very reliable it was too. Now I'm taking a dip into the wireless waters!)...

...anyway it's arriving on Thurs, and they took the £30 debit from my card, but now I've looked at my bill and they adjusted it with £30 as a carried forward credit, thus reducing my bill by almost 50%. Have they made a mistake because it seems I'm almost getting it for free. The credit cancels out the original debit.

davidthornton
07-07-2011, 13:38
If you are talking about a version of the SuperHub made by someone else then the technical specs will basically be the same (on purpose)

The point of an 'other vendor' version is to have the same thing made by two different companies, not different things

I thought that VM were trying to consolodate down to, ultimately, just the one Superhub (although 10Mbit users get a standard hub). If they're getting another company to make another Superhub, even if it is to the same specification as the current Superhub, I expect we'll still see differences between the two devices and people (including techs) preferring one over the other. One of them will be seen as inferior than the other, and some people will demand the one they haven't currently got due to some unspecificed problem with their connection. So in some ways it defeats the point of having just the one Superhub. Of course if VM are finding getting bridge mode working with the current Superhub to be too difficult then I can understand why they're looking to have a second device made. It does make me think that they should also go down the road of commissioning a new standalone modem, which would superseed the VRMG300, and support all of the new configurations that may be used in the future.

BenMcr
07-07-2011, 13:44
Of course if VM are finding getting bridge mode working with the current Superhub to be too difficult then I can understand why they're looking to have a second device made.The two are not connected

davidthornton
07-07-2011, 13:45
Can you still buy a wireless router from independant vendor and ask for the upgrade to 30MB or is it only available with VM's superhub?

Only the VMNG300 (original 50Mbit modem, no longer generally available) and the Superhub support 30Mbit. All of the other older VM modems don't. Wireless can be turned off on the Superhub, and if you wish to use your own router you can connect it to the Superhub and put it into the DMZ. In the future the Superhub will have an option to work in bridge mode so anyone wishing to use their own router will not need to route over two LANs. Firmware for the bridge mode is currently being tested.

kenoliver
07-07-2011, 13:51
I can understand why they're looking to have a second device made. It does make me think that they should also go down the road of commissioning a new standalone modem, which would superseed the VRMG300, and support all of the new configurations that may be used in the future.

Yes I agree, for those of us who prefer to keep our existing wireless device, a stand alone modem would be great

But I can understand commercially it would make sense to have just one device to service, install, and support

There is a good work around available to put the SuperHub in " Bridge Mode " until the the R28 update is successfully applied

davidthornton
07-07-2011, 14:05
The two are not connected

Bookmark this post because I won't be surprised that in 6-12 months, when the other Superhub is available, there'll be people asking for it because they'll think it's somehow better than the one they've already got. :)

Why don't VM want to consider building a standalone modem replacement for the VMNG300, for those that specifically state they would prefer just a modem? They offered just modems for years, so why the change in policy? Is it because eventually VM want to offer an upgraded firmware for all Superhubs which might give customers an option to run a "BT Fon" type of service from it (like BT do with their Home Hubs) as a way of quickly rolling out a VM Wi-Fi network?

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

But I can understand commercially it would make sense to have just one device to service, install, and support

Does having a Superhub manufactured to the same specification by two different manufacturers really count as one device? I expect they'll be in different chassis and people will prefer one over the other because of colour, it's newer, they think it works better, or some other reason.

There is a good work around available to put the SuperHub in " Bridge Mode " until the the R28 update is successfully applied

Stick the second router in the Superhubs DMZ?

BenMcr
07-07-2011, 14:12
Why don't VM want to consider building a standalone modem replacement for the VMNG300, for those that specifically state they would prefer just a modem? They offered just modems for years, so why the change in policy? Is it because eventually VM want to offer an upgraded firmware for all Superhubs which might give customers an option to run a "BT Fon" type of service from it (like BT do with their Home Hubs) as a way of quickly rolling out a VM Wi-Fi network?I've gone over this in other threads so will try to keep this brief

The biggest 'fault' that customers had when Virgin had seperate modems and routers was that they couldn't get the two things working together - which is one of the main reasons the Hubs were introduced. To make it as simple as possible to install and get going.

Also the costs of seperate modems and routers was probably significantly higher than a combined unit

The DOCSIS standards are now settled enough for a combined unit to make sense as well

As far as I know there no plans at all to use customer's kit for a public WiFi network

I expect they'll be in different chassis Nope. They will look identical

Virgin are now big enough as a company that they can get custom hardware made. TiVo is also a VM specific design (as was the VMNG300)

davidthornton
07-07-2011, 14:15
I've gone over this in other threads so will try to keep this brief

The biggest 'fault' that customers had when Virgin had seperate modems and routers was that they couldn't get the two things working together - which is one of the main reasons the Hubs were introduced. To make it as simple as possible to install and get going.

Of course, this makes perfect sense. Many people would prefer a single device to do everything. Some people are able to get a modem working with a router without a problem.

Also the costs of seperate modems and routers was probably significantly higher than a combined unit

Virgin Media could simply stop offering standalone routers and would only offer the modem to those that specifically requested it and agreed to a disclaimer that they wouldn't expect VM to support the LAN side of it or third party routers. Perhaps it would have a one off cost to ensure only those that really wanted it took it instead of the Superhub.

Pauls9
07-07-2011, 14:16
It's standard practice in industry to second-source critical bought in items. Gives you stability of supply if one manufacturer has problems.

davidthornton
07-07-2011, 14:18
Nope. They will look identical.

Virgin are now big enough as a company that they can get custom hardware made. TiVo is also a VM specific design (as was the VMNG300)

I see. I've not seen a 500Gb TiVo but does it look identical to the 1Tb, save for a different model number stamped underneath? Is that what you're expecting the only different between the current and forthcoming Superhub to be? Nothing at all cosmetic? :)

BenMcr
07-07-2011, 14:20
Virgin Media could simply stop offering standalone routers and would only offer the modem to those that specifically requested it and agreed to a disclaimer that they wouldn't expect VM to support the LAN side of it or third party routers. Perhaps it would have a one off cost to ensure only those that really wanted it took it instead of the Superhub.They'll achieve exactly that with the modem mode of the SuperHub

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

It's standard practice in industry to second-source critical bought in items. Gives you stability of supply if one manufacturer has problems.Indeed. Virgin had a supply issue with the D-Link routers during the ash cloud thing last year, so can understand why they don't want to run the risk of doing so again

Also improves economy of scale. The more people you have making the same thing, the cheaper each becomes.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

I see. I've not seen a 500Gb TiVo but does it look identical to the 1Tb, save for a different model number stamped underneath? Is that what you're expecting the only different between the current and forthcoming Superhub to be? Nothing at all cosmetic? :)
Exactly

WillPS
08-07-2011, 04:48
A funny thing...

My parents are on the 20mbps package (and have been since the day NTL introduced 10mbps Broadband, at my insistence!!). Last time I was on the phone sorting something out the lady tried to up-sell 30mbps BB and I enquired how much...

it was something like £12pm extra - but I thought it was free so long as you paid the £30 upgrade fee?

Tuvoc
08-07-2011, 06:16
it was something like £12pm extra - but I thought it was free so long as you paid the £30 upgrade fee?

It is the same monthly cost, but they take away any loyalty discounts etc that you may have, so in effect you may end up paying a lot more. That is my understanding

I was offered 50Mb for £3 per month more than what I pay now (existing discounts retained) but have never gone for it becuase of the Superhub issues.

Pea-Pod
08-07-2011, 20:06
Yay - just setup my Superhub and replaced the old Ambit modem. Only connected by ethernet at present like before, but I will be using the wireless when I get a laptop...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/07/75.png

...obviously very pleased with the results above. The setup was quite painless, although I did have to reset the hub manually but can't grumble at that.

Incidently what do you do with the Ambit modem?

Pea-Pod
09-07-2011, 00:19
The Blue lights are very bright - is there anyway to tone them down. It's like the emergency services have invaded my bedroom when night comes.

kenoliver
09-07-2011, 09:34
The Blue lights are very bright - is there anyway to tone them down. It's like the emergency services have invaded my bedroom when night comes.

Quick answer is "NO" :(

So black electricians tape over the "Blue" one sorted it for me :erm:

Pea-Pod
09-07-2011, 15:34
Quick answer is "NO" :(

So black electricians tape over the "Blue" one sorted it for me :erm:

Think I'll be doing that aswell. I also turn it off last night prior to hitting the sack otherwise I'd never be able to go to sleep!

kenoliver
09-07-2011, 15:46
Think I'll be doing that aswell. I also turn it off last night prior to hitting the sack otherwise I'd never be able to go to sleep!

Yea I know what you mean :)

Can't think why they need to be that bright :shocked:

ultimate
09-07-2011, 17:55
UK CS while I was phoning to clarify my phone package told me connection for 30Mb is now only £15 and that will also save me approx £10 in my monthly fee, I asked why and she said VM is trying to get customers away from the 20mb. I was temped of course but said I will get back to her while I sit on it for a while.

Is the cost and savings true?

Is the Superhub good?

kenoliver
09-07-2011, 18:14
U

Is the Superhub good?

Oh my

Well every time that question is asked it provides quite a debate:)

So for me I would say it depends on what you use it for!!! :erm:

If you use it just as a Modem that is hard wired to your PC/Mac then it is supurb, fast and solid, can't be faulted

If you also use it as a wireless device then I would describe it as "patchy" some days good somedays poor,

As for its looks well as ever its subjective, It's quite large black and polished, the cables come in from what I would say is the side, but officially it is the back:confused:

That means the status lights are on the side out of view :confused:

But you know they are there as they light up the room after darkness falls :shocked:

I have disabled the wireless function from the Hub and passed the broadband through to my Apple Time Capsule, which acts as my wireless device

So with this configuration I am very happy, my SuperHub is acting as a modem only and my Time Capsule is taking care of the Wireless aspect in my case a prefect solution :p:

KenK
09-07-2011, 22:56
Incidently what do you do with the Ambit modem?It's their property, so send it back to them.

virginruinedntl
10-07-2011, 18:57
UK CS while I was phoning to clarify my phone package told me connection for 30Mb is now only £15 and that will also save me approx £10 in my monthly fee, I asked why and she said VM is trying to get customers away from the 20mb. I was temped of course but said I will get back to her while I sit on it for a while.

Is the cost and savings true?

Is the cost true VM?

Bonglet
11-07-2011, 00:51
Charging an activation fee still for existing customers who are already activated is a mega con ;s.

JethroUK
11-07-2011, 01:09
Charging an activation fee still for existing customers who are already activated is a mega con ;s.

Yes - maybe they should call advanced rental the 'wibbly wobbly fee' then you've have no argument :rolleyes:

davidthornton
11-07-2011, 01:45

Perhaps it is because if they didn't charge it to those who, for whatever reason, had already had an engineer fit a Superhub in the past then it wouldn't be fair to charge those that hadn't. Sending an engineer to those who hadn't, to check levels, given this is a migration from a DOCSIS 2 to a DOCSIS 3 network, and to fit a Superhub obviously has cost implications.

BenMcr
11-07-2011, 09:48
Perhaps it is because if they didn't charge it to those who, for whatever reason, had already had an engineer fit a Superhub in the past then it wouldn't be fair to charge those that hadn't30Mbit doesn't have an activation fee if you already have a SuperHub

ShadowTD
11-07-2011, 11:37
I really should call them and get that sorted!

Sleeper919
11-07-2011, 23:12
Hey guys, my bill currently looks like this: Service charges - £48.79

Line Rental - £12.99
Talk Unlimited - £8.00
Additional Loyalty Discount - £3.00
Triple Combo Loyalty Discount - £21.20
TV Size: X L - £26.00
Broadband Size: L - £26.00

If I upgraded to 30Mb broadband, what discounts would I lose? Could I upgrade through retentions with better results? Would I ultimately save or lose money if I downgraded to the L TV pack?

If I go to the build your own bundle (http://shop.virginmedia.com/build-your-bundle) page, I see that L broadband, with XL TV and phone should be £59.90. If I then choose XL broadband instead, I get the price of £61.46!

Advice? Also share any retentions successes you've had recently. :)

Tuvoc
12-07-2011, 05:26
Virgin need to review their policy - I too have loyalty discounts, and if I upgrade to a TIVO box I lose them as well. It stops people upgrading, and then Virgin lose out. Cutting off the nose to spite the face is an expression that springs to mind. I too plan to speak to retentions to see what can be done

JethroUK
12-07-2011, 08:22
Virgin need to review their policy - I too have loyalty discounts, and if I upgrade to a TIVO box I lose them as well. It stops people upgrading, and then Virgin lose out. Cutting off the nose to spite the face is an expression that springs to mind. I too plan to speak to retentions to see what can be done

As 'a customer' you cant possible talk to anyone other than retentions

Customer Service dont give a rats about you, your tivo or your discount - Customer service are programmed to get new business ONLY = waste of a phone call for anyone on these boards - period

Nopanic
12-07-2011, 08:25
As 'a customer' you cant possible talk to anyone other than retentions

Customer Service dont give a rats about you, your tivo or your discount - Customer service are programmed to get new business ONLY

Sales are "programmed" to get new business ..

davidthornton
12-07-2011, 12:21
A friend of mine had a similar problem until yesterday. He used to ring up and get the Philippines call centre (I didn't even know there was one) and had previously been told that if he upgraded to 50Mbit broadband he'd lose a lot of his discounts. I saw his bill a while back and he has a couple of discounts including one called "mates rates".

His package was 20Mbit, VIP (including XL phone, V+, V box and all movies and sports but no HD). He also paid for an additional V+ box. He was paying around £80 a month. On Monday he got through to a UK call centre, who after consulting with a manager, upped him to 100Mbit and added HD for just £4 more a month. He's also paid £49 to swap the V box for a TiVo 500Gb so I assume this new price will also include the monthly £3 fee. I'm going to take a screenshot of his online bill showing the discounts once his bill has updated.

JethroUK
12-07-2011, 20:38
Sales are "programmed" to get new business ..

Nope - VM "Customer Service" dont give a rats about customers - VM "Customer Service" are programmed for NEW BUSINESS ONLY

Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll VM Customers without exception must contact retentions department

That has been the case for over 2 years (and until last week in my sig) and is still the case evidently since it's mentioned on nearly every thread including this one

Nopanic
12-07-2011, 21:36
Nope - VM "Customer Service" dont give a rats about customers - VM "Customer Service" are programmed for NEW BUSINESS ONLY

Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll VM Customers without exception must contact retentions department

That has been the case for over 2 years (and until last week in my sig) and is still the case evidently since it's mentioned on nearly every thread including this one

Well its wrong.

Tuvoc
12-07-2011, 22:09
Well its wrong.

Wrong, how ?

BenMcr
12-07-2011, 22:38
Wrong, how ?Customer Service do a lot more than just new business only

What they can't do, and why everyone goes through to Customer Relations, is 'do a deal' beyond what they are authorised to offer - for the most part advertised pricing. Customer Services can give you more services for the money you pay, rather than less money for the same services.

So if you want 30Mbit without the £30 activation fee, or a free V+HD install etc, they won't do it.

JethroUK
13-07-2011, 00:56
Well its wrong.

No it's right - end of

Customer Service do a lot more than just new business only...

tell it to this guy

It's plainly obvious that CS are not interested in his call - at all!!!!!

I've been writing to these forums for 20 million years and i have NEVER heard of a single customer getting anything at all from VM Customer Service - it's always "new customers only" - alllllll 'customers' bar without exception have to approach retentions

anyway my last word on this because it's off topic

i might just have to put all VM sales staff on ignore starting with Nopanic

BenMcr
13-07-2011, 11:17
It's plainly obvious that CS are not interested in his call - at all!!!!!They are, but depending on what 'loyalty' discount he has, he may not be eligible to keep it with TiVo, so CS will offer him the current appropriate retail price for his services.

kwikbreaks
13-07-2011, 11:29
Ah - I think I understand it now...

Step 1) Call CS and get a crappy offer or no offer at all
Step 2) Call retentions and get what CS would have offered if VM were running their business properly instead of like a car boot stall.

So if CS were authorised to deal VM could scrap retentions and use the savings to finance proper on shore TS (or more likely bigger bonuses for the higher echelons).

BenMcr
13-07-2011, 11:36
Well we are going to have to agree to disagree on that point, and as everyone has their own opinion I think it's best to leave it there

kwikbreaks
13-07-2011, 12:27
I wouldn't expect you to agree and most certainly not publicly.

Arj12
13-07-2011, 14:35
Ah - I think I understand it now...

Step 1) Call CS and get a crappy offer or no offer at all
Step 2) Call retentions and get what CS would have offered if VM were running their business properly instead of like a car boot stall.

So if CS were authorised to deal VM could scrap retentions and use the savings to finance proper on shore TS (or more likely bigger bonuses for the higher echelons).

I would like to say this is correct according to my expierence. I rang up "normal" CS and they said I wouldn't have to pay the £30 "activation fee" as I have the superhub but I would have to pay over £20 extra per month just to get what is classed as a free upgrade....this wasted about 25 mins of my time

I then rang again straight to retentions and said I would like to get my free upgrade from 20mb > 30mb as I have the superhub. The person checked all my details and 5 mins later he said everything had went through and confirmed the price would be exactly the same as before :)
Perfect and easy service from retentions so why couldn't it be just as easy the first time I rang with CS!

BenMcr
13-07-2011, 14:42
I could give you the full reasons why, but it's significantly off topic for this thread, and most people wouldn't believe what I said anyway

Arj12
13-07-2011, 15:20
try us ;)

Ignitionnet
13-07-2011, 16:30
Indeed. Would be good to have some light shed on the murky world of retentions within Virgin Media's obsession with throwing deals at people like sweets when they don't actually have any competition on some of the products they discount.

BenMcr
13-07-2011, 16:53
We aren't discussing the retention policy here, we were talking about what Customer Services can and cannot offer. But as I said above it's way off topic for this thread, and to be honest don't think it's going to make anyone change their opinion of 'phone relations'

whizzbang
13-07-2011, 17:49
I would dearly like to upgrade from 20 to 30 meg, and quite willing to pay the £30 charge to get it. My problem is that I use a Draytek router for VOIP, and so I would need the vmg300 as the replacement for my current Ambit 256. Is there a way of upgrading to 30 meg, without going the Superhub way???

kwikbreaks
13-07-2011, 18:11
Is there a way of upgrading to 30 meg, without going the Superhub way???No. At least not through sales or CS.

With any luck in a month or so VM will have unplugged their corporate finger from the corporate backside and produced a firmware that allows the Superhub to be used as a genuine modem. Then you will have the option of paying VM £30 for a huge plastic box that acts as a modem to replace your current modem.

Of course you could try your luck with retentions and failing that the CEO office but I've no idea if they'll do a deal.

kenoliver
13-07-2011, 18:15
Is there a way of upgrading to 30 meg, without going the Superhub way???

A question often asked :)

it is possible to configure the Hub to pass the broadband straight through to another device, as many have done

Maybe it would be best for you to wait until the next update R28, currently on beta test by a select band of users

Hopefully if successful this update will allow users to set the Hub in "Modem" mode ,

And as such it would be a direct replacement for your current modem but capable of speeds up to 100 mb

Tuvoc
13-07-2011, 18:55
With any luck in a month or so VM will have unplugged their corporate finger from the corporate backside and produced a firmware that allows the Superhub to be used as a genuine modem.

But is that really going to improve things much ? From what I read here, the modem part of the Superhub is extremely sensitive to the line(cable) conditions and way less tolerant than the old vmg300

qasdfdsaq
13-07-2011, 20:06
From what I read here, the modem part of the Superhub is more tolerant and less sensitive than the old VMNG300

theoldbill
13-07-2011, 23:24
Indeed. Would be good to have some light shed on the murky world of retentions within Virgin Media's obsession with throwing deals at people like sweets when they don't actually have any competition on some of the products they discount.

It's not just about that.

If my new neighbours joined VM and have a FAR better on-going deal than me I think that's wrong, considering they don't have a long loyal relationship with VM and may not even pay the bill and/or run off with the kit given to them for free (i.e. with no "activation" fees).