PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Help needed - super hub and access point

Maroon
17-06-2011, 22:36
Hi

I'm normally just about ok with this sort of thing but I've not had to change anything in years so I've got a bit confused and stuck!

I've just had a Tivo installed and at the same time the modem was changed to a super hub.

I have a long cable that goes from that upstairs to a router which I'm trying to configure once again as an access point with wi-fi.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Do I need to change any settings on the super hub?
I've disabled the DHCP on the access point router but what do I need to do?
I've actually had a go using both an old WRT54GS and WGR614 but can't get wi-fi on either on them working.
Is it anything to do with the super hub defaulting to 192.168.0.1 and these both reseting to 192.168.1.1?

Many thanks

Peter_
18-06-2011, 06:13
Try the instructions found in this link http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hub

Maroon
18-06-2011, 07:38
Thanks but that's not quite what I'm trying to do.

Previously I had the old cable modem go to the WRT54GS.
This was set to LAN IP address 192.168.1.1
It also had some restrictions to the starting and ending IP addresses that I can't quite remember (I've doen a factory reset since but it was something like 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200)
Wireless Channel = 11

Then a cable connected between the LAN ports on the WRT54GS to the WGR614 upstairs.
This one had DHCP Server disabled.
LAN IP address I think was 192.168.1.51 with again different starting and ending ranges.
Wireless Channel = 1

Both routers had the same SSID and encryption key.

Additionally my NAS drive connects to the WGR614 with 192.168.1.11

I was trying to just use the super hub, remove the WRT54GS and keep the WGR614 upstairs. And have wi-fi on both the super hub and WGR614.

I can get the access point to work via another cable to my laptop but not by wi-fi.
But when that's working I can't get in to configure it.
I guess I've got some sort of conflict?

Thanks again

kwikbreaks
18-06-2011, 10:34
If you have the WGR614 set to a different subnet from the Superhub and just connect its WAN port to a LAN port on the Superhub it will operate fine as an internet gateway without doing anything special such as disabling the DHCP server - in fact the DHCP server in it will need to be running for it to work and that is why you can't get it going. Connected that way the devices on it will not communicate with those on the Superhub though.

If you turn off the DHCP server on the WGR614 and connect a WAN port on it to a Superhub WAN port it should with any luck operate as an extension of the Superhub switch which will still handle all DCHP.

Unless you need to use port forwarding to a device on the WRT54GS there is no need to fix its IP or put it in the DMZ.

I don't think you'll be able to access the WGR614 to configure it when connected as LAN-LAN with DHCP off and you won't be able to access it WAN-LAN from a device on the Superhub unless you first configure it for remote management. Best set it all up with a single PC connected to a WAN port before you connect it to the Superhub.

Maroon
18-06-2011, 12:10
If you have the WGR614 set to a different subnet from the Superhub and just connect its WAN port to a LAN port on the Superhub it will operate fine as an internet gateway without doing anything special such as disabling the DHCP server - in fact the DHCP server in it will need to be running for it to work and that is why you can't get it going. Connected that way the devices on it will not communicate with those on the Superhub though.
This works but as you point out I can't connect across devices.
I have a Roberts 83i radio in the kitchen that previously connected by wi-fi to the WRT54GS but via this was also able to access music from the NAS drive cabled to the WGR614.

If you turn off the DHCP server on the WGR614 and connect a WAN port on it to a Superhub WAN port it should with any luck operate as an extension of the Superhub switch which will still handle all DCHP.

Unless you need to use port forwarding to a device on the WRT54GS there is no need to fix its IP or put it in the DMZ.

I don't think you'll be able to access the WGR614 to configure it when connected as LAN-LAN with DHCP off and you won't be able to access it WAN-LAN from a device on the Superhub unless you first configure it for remote management. Best set it all up with a single PC connected to a WAN port before you connect it to the Superhub.
The first bit works fine.

Sorry but I'm not sure what the configure for remote means?

Thanks

kwikbreaks
18-06-2011, 13:21
With an add-on router connected via the WAN port you'd need to access via that port to configure it from anything connected to the Superhub. Most routers don't allow remote (WAN) access by default - it would be a security problem as normally the WAN port is accessed via your public IP and so would be available to script kiddies on the internet.

That way of connecting it is no good to you anyway if you want it all on the one subnet so you'll have to try it WAN to WAN. There could be some way round this using static routes but that's beyond my very basic networking skill set. I've never used LAN-LAN myself but have seen others say it works for them. I'm guessing that the add-on router config just isn't used when connecting that way apart from the WiFi mode and SSID.

Just try it LAN-LAN - if it doesn't work you've lost nothing other than 10 minutes trying it out.

Maroon
18-06-2011, 20:54
Thanks I've now got it working LAN-LAN. I'm not sure why it didn't work before but these are the setttings I've used in case anyone else has problems.

Super Hub
SSID my_network
Channel 11
WPA Auto
Passphrase my_password
IP Address 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server Yes
Starting IP 192.168.0.100
Ending IP 192.168.0.199

WGR614
SSID my_network
Channel 1