PDA

View Full Version : Isolator (interior white wall box) - Wanting to upgrade it

Gar
14-06-2011, 18:07
We moved into our house a few years ago. Virgin broadband had already existed in the house, so the cabling was already in place. Within the interior white wall box is an isolator. It is a Vocom TV/FM isolator (5-1000Mhz).

It looks fairly old and a little worse for wear, so I'm wondering if there are any newer replacement isolators out there for purchase.

What isolators would you recommend? We don't particular want to order anything from an auction site, so a proper online retailer would be best. I've had a look around, but I'm really not sure what's what.

Thanks in advance.

arcimedes
14-06-2011, 18:11
Its upto Virgin to change the isolator as the the cabling etc belongs to them. If you are getting problems then phone them up.

MovedGoalPosts
14-06-2011, 18:12
Why do you need to replace it. If it is working then no need to change (especially if it is tucked away in it's housing). If it is causing a fault to your service then the VM techs would diagnose that and replace it for you as part of your subscription.

Peter_
14-06-2011, 19:13
If you have an issue you call up technical support who will check out your connection and if required send out a technician who will check all connections to ensure everything is OK.

If you buy something from Ebay or similar and fit it then you may end up causing noise ingress onto the local network which would require investigation by Virginmedia and the possibility of them disconnecting you for any issues or cost involved.

Gar
14-06-2011, 19:22
Fair enough, I'll leave well alone.

As for my internet issues, I've spoken to VM and they've indicated that there is an utilization problem in the area UBr. I think they are waiting to see how it goes before doing anything. At least they're aware though.

Peter_
14-06-2011, 22:22
Fair enough, I'll leave well alone.

As for my internet issues, I've spoken to VM and they've indicated that there is an utilization problem in the area UBr. I think they are waiting to see how it goes before doing anything. At least they're aware though.
As I said above if they sent a technician then he would swap the isolator only if he thought it necessary.