PDA

View Full Version : 100M Installed on VMNG300 - EPIC

DigitalShadow
14-06-2011, 12:04
Right, just had everything installed and upgraded.

100Mbit on VMNG300 no questions asked.

Just tested with a torrent, downloaded at 12.0Mb/sec

Uploaded at 1.2Mb/sec

Happy days!

Neo-Tech
14-06-2011, 13:47
Time to change that speedtest link in your signature. ;)

Pantsu-san
14-06-2011, 19:42
100Mbit on VMNG300 no questions asked. Happy days!

Grats. Welcome to the club. I only wish that the engineer that attended my property (and his superviser on the phone) didn't think that customers would roll over so easily for a belly rub. There's a definite art to complaining to Mr. B that gets results, especially after you've been lied to by a couple of his company's representatives.

I can only hope that the 're-training' that occurred due to my case assisted you, or any potential 100Mb customers, in some way, and any future installees don't have to endure the same situation.

General Maximus
14-06-2011, 19:54
well done dude, it certainly makes things look better for me. I wasn't going to bother with 100mbit if it meant i had to have the superhub.

DigitalShadow
14-06-2011, 21:49
Best I've got on speedtest is 84mbit but torrents full speed all day...

After adding the 2nd V+ box my levels on the modem dropped from the edge of optimal to acceptable, so asked if he could put me on a higher tap, he went to cupboard, did that, now modem levels and SNR are bang in the middle of optimal. The guy that did the install was amazing, should have taken his name down so I could let his supervisor/area manager know how good he was.

Now got my 1tb tivo box and two samsung v+ HD boxes, he swapped my old scientific atlanta v+ for a nice new samsung one. He was absolutely brilliant.

Nopanic
15-06-2011, 18:38
Grats. Welcome to the club. I only wish that the engineer that attended my property (and his superviser on the phone) didn't think that customers would roll over so easily for a belly rub. There's a definite art to complaining to Mr. B that gets results, especially after you've been lied to by a couple of his company's representatives.

I can only hope that the 're-training' that occurred due to my case assisted you, or any potential 100Mb customers, in some way, and any future installees don't have to endure the same situation.

What "re-training" would that be?

Bullstein
15-06-2011, 19:16
Why do I always get the immersion that nopanics nose gets out of joint every time a customer gets a good experience by getting the VMNG300?

Crazy company that scoffs at it's customers being happy tbh, so what if it's not "official policy "?

It helps your customer base, re-training in attitude to the superhub is what's necessary- not continuing to hand out the "party line" ;)

darkrage
15-06-2011, 19:49
I have just upgraded to 100meg on my VMNG300 but my speeds are all over the place started getting 9.6 mb/ sec but now its 3.0 upto 6.0 - does it take some time to settle down or do I need to check settings?

signiture is average using namesco but if i use manchester i get =

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1342799951.png

DigitalShadow
15-06-2011, 21:49
Best I have got on a speedtest is 84Mbit, on torrents I get 98Mbit any time of the day...

Chrysalis
15-06-2011, 21:58
digitalshadow showing VM's traffic shaping doesnt work then ;)

DigitalShadow
15-06-2011, 22:01
To be honest I don't think my area has many people that heavily use their connection.

There isn't any point when the speed drops, mid day, evenings, weekends, the speed never drops.

The traffic management only kicks in if a % of traffic is p2p or something like that, so perhaps this area isn't heavy on p2p and therefore the limit is never hit...?

Chrysalis
15-06-2011, 22:25
as far as i know it makes it so p2p/nntp can use max 25% of the capacity, so in a best case scenario (when you are the only p2p/nntp user on a 200mbit port) during shaping hours p2p should be maxing out at 50mbit.

markie1966
15-06-2011, 22:40
correct me if im wrong

wasnt there heated debates in other threads where vm employees said it was impossible to get an upgrade to 100mb with that modem?? ;)

good luck to the OP

and keep us informed of ur connection speeds

DigitalShadow
15-06-2011, 22:51
Procedure says 100mbit should only be on superhub, VMNG300 I would imagine was designed to cope with 200mbit.

I shouldn't have 100mbit on VMNG300, but it is possible.

qasdfdsaq
16-06-2011, 00:34
digitalshadow showing VM's traffic shaping doesnt work then ;)
By my calculations it was never going to work to begin with.

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

wasnt there heated debates in other threads where vm employees said it was impossible to get an upgrade to 100mb with that modem?? ;)
There's been many heated debates where VM employees argue company policy as technical fact when it isn't.

Peter_
16-06-2011, 05:47
correct me if im wrong

good luck to the OP

and keep us informed of ur connection speeds
Not impossible just not recommended as the likelihood of it continuing to work long term on 100Mb is unlikely and if it goes faulty it will be replaced by a Superhub as the is no alternative.

Nopanic
16-06-2011, 06:44
Why do I always get the immersion that nopanics nose gets out of joint every time a customer gets a good experience by getting the VMNG300?

Maybe because you have feelings for me ?

Crazy company that scoffs at it's customers being happy tbh, so what if it's not "official policy "?

It helps your customer base, re-training in attitude to the superhub is what's necessary- not continuing to hand out the "party line" ;)

I have no love for the Superhub nor a wish to make anyone use it, am I now not allowed to ask questions about people claiming to have staff re-trained ?

What company policy would you be referring to that scoffs at customers ?

As for "so what if it's not official policy" if a tech or agent breaks company policy they may face disciplinary measure, so it's rather important ..

Anything more to add ? (I'll give you some time to make something up)

Peter_
16-06-2011, 07:02

I will do my level best to help get a Superhub working by guiding you to the best settings as per my own experience of this device as per my signature below.;):td:

Bullstein
16-06-2011, 09:51
Maybe because you have feelings

What company policy would you be referring to that scoffs at customers ?

Anything more to add ? (I'll give you some time to make something up)

I was referring to VM's denial (until proven wrong) that 100MB only works with superhub, and your repeated antipathy towards customers who actually have managed (with great effort that should not be neccessary) to get a VMNG300

As well as all the VM people at the end of the telephone who say there are no VMNG300's and that 100MB doesn't work with them anyway

If that's not official policy they are stating then indeed re-training is indicated to get accurate responses from VM

DigitalShadow
16-06-2011, 11:04
Just so it is clear, the VMNG300 I have was provisioned over 2 years ago when 50Mbit was released. I was not given a VMNG300 during the 100mbit install, however, as I had one, that was "zapped" and the 100mbit config loaded onto my current VMNG300.

darkrage
16-06-2011, 12:51
Same as Digital here - engineer came with superhub seen I had a VMNG300 had a moan of customer service wasting his time because the install could have been done over the phone - scanned the modem and left.

I however can not get 100meg speeds on speed tests at any time of the day and as soon as I use news groups I get throttled to 2-4Mbits/sec.

I would however like to know if there are some settings I can check to see if it was set up correctly? any help

Bullstein
16-06-2011, 13:15
Maybe customer services can be "re-trained" to avoid such time wasting ;)

DigitalShadow
16-06-2011, 13:18
There is no setup, just check 192.168.100.1 to see if the correct config is loaded.

Maggy
16-06-2011, 13:21

Possibly he reacts to the slurs that are aimed at the VM staff here.

I will yet again point out that those VM staff who try and help out on this forum are here in their own time.That this site is NOT affiliated to VM and is in fact privately owned.

It is not smart or clever to constantly belittle their attempts to tell you what the policy is that THEY have been told to follow.

Peter_
16-06-2011, 13:54
As well as all the VM people at the end of the telephone who say there are no VMNG300's and that 100MB doesn't work with them anyway

How many times do I have to post this I wonder before it gets through.:rolleyes:

Even when the VMNG300 was a stock item the was never a facility to send one out via a courier and the only way to have one replaced was via a technician visit, anyone who had one promised invariably received an Ambit 256.

They have never been available to Kuene and Nagel who pick our orders for HDNL/YODEL to deliver so they have never sat in a warehouse as per all other equipment we can send out to customers.

The stock of VMNG300 modems that the CEO's office will have available to them will be finite and will run out sooner rather than later at which point any replacements will be by Superhub only.

Chrysalis
16-06-2011, 14:02
I am inclined to believe the vmng300's were more costlier for VM to buy wholesale than other CPE, hence their past policy of been tech only distribution.

If anyone lifts up a superhub and a vmng300, the vmng300 is actually heavier. Given that the superhub is also a router and is bigger, thats an eye opener.

My gigabit adsl router (currently acting as lan switch) is significanly heavier than the superhub which is to be expected given its much higher quality kit and was expensive.

qasdfdsaq
16-06-2011, 16:11
Well we could make the case of the Superhub out of an all-metal construction which would make it heavier yet considerably worse as it would serve to shield the internal antennas and block out wireless signal.

While I get your point, weight isn't everything ;)

Nopanic
16-06-2011, 18:22
I was referring to VM's denial (until proven wrong) that 100MB only works with superhub, and your repeated antipathy towards customers who actually have managed (with great effort that should not be neccessary) to get a VMNG300

If that's not official policy they are stating then indeed re-training is indicated to get accurate responses from VM

I think you're mixing me up with someone else mate, I don't defend anything, I argue both sides. I don't like blanket statements and I wont accept insults or pointless comments.

I personal like the VMNG and don't like the Superhub, my Superhub was perfect till I upgraded to 100 and then it went wrong .. I am now working on the reason for that and hope to be of some aid to those who have seen the same issue. However there are many thousand working Superhubs on all the different BBI tiers, the device is not a failure, it works, it works perfectly for a lot of people.

Possibly he reacts to the slurs that are aimed at the VM staff here.

I will yet again point out that those VM staff who try and help out on this forum are here in their own time.That this site is NOT affiliated to VM and is in fact privately owned.

It is not smart or clever to constantly belittle their attempts to tell you what the policy is that THEY have been told do follow.

The more you post the more I like you .. one thing I would say is that I have no policy to follow, the only rule I have is to not give out sensitive information. I don't work in a call centre and I don't deal with customers. I use this forum to help direct my focus.. and to help people when possible. :cool:

Maggy
16-06-2011, 18:43
I think you're mixing me up with someone else mate, I don't defend anything, I argue both sides. I don't like blanket statements and I wont accept insults or pointless comments.

I personal like the VMNG and don't like the Superhub, my Superhub was perfect till I upgraded to 100 and then it went wrong .. I am now working on the reason for that and hope to be of some aid to those who have seen the same issue. However there are many thousand working Superhubs on all the different BBI tiers, the device is not a failure, it works, it works perfectly for a lot of people.

The more you post the more I like you .. one thing I would say is that I have no policy to follow, the only rule I have is to not give out sensitive information. I don't work in a call centre and I don't deal with customers. I use this forum to help direct my focus.. and to help people when possible. :cool:

Glad to hear that.Maybe you have some lee way and can get some directions sorted so that those staff who deal on the sharp end can be certain that what they say over the phone is the truth and not undermined by customers who seem to know different.It can only help VM look more professional.;)

iluvabargain2011
16-06-2011, 19:11
Yes, NoPanic is deffo a "Sit on the fence guy" and looks at both sides...

Peter_
16-06-2011, 19:23
Not really he just knows his job and the constraints we have to work with which many on here do not realise.

Nopanic
16-06-2011, 19:26
Glad to hear that.Maybe you have some lee way and can get some directions sorted so that those staff who deal on the sharp end can be certain that what they say over the phone is the truth and not undermined by customers who seem to know different.It can only help VM look more professional.;)

The truth is difficult to define, as what is defined to the customer facing staff is process, but they have no understanding of the wider system (they have enough to worry about) so can only give what they are told as the answers.

As far as they are concerned there is no possible way for them to action some things, sometimes the CEO's office (for example) are able to bring in something that these agents can't which in my opinion is poor customer care.

If VM say no to the VMNG, then that should be it .. I don't believe the VMNG should be removed, far from it, but as an example, you cant have one team saying one thing and another giving out different "facts"

I base this on peoples posts, I have not have any dealings with VNMG's being sent out..

:erm: way to make me sound gay :(

iluvabargain2011
16-06-2011, 19:31
lol, where did i say "Take it both sides" pmsl

Can`t help it if i`m part of your fan club!!! T-Shirts are being made as we speak "We <3 NoPanic".

Maggy
16-06-2011, 20:39
The truth is difficult to define, as what is defined to the customer facing staff is process, but they have no understanding of the wider system (they have enough to worry about) so can only give what they are told as the answers.

As far as they are concerned there is no possible way for them to action some things, sometimes the CEO's office (for example) are able to bring in something that these agents can't which in my opinion is poor customer care.

If VM say no to the VMNG, then that should be it .. I don't believe the VMNG should be removed, far from it, but as an example, you cant have one team saying one thing and another giving out different "facts"

I base this on peoples posts, I have not have any dealings with VNMG's being sent out..

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Nopanic
16-06-2011, 20:50
lol, where did i say "Take it both sides" pmsl

Can`t help it if i`m part of your fan club!!! T-Shirts are being made as we speak "We <3 NoPanic".

http://www.sarcasmmeter.com/sarcasm_detector.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. :)

That sounds like I was trying to put you in your place :D really not the case ..

Maggy
16-06-2011, 21:00
Actually I was being quite genuine..:)

Nopanic
16-06-2011, 21:01
Actually I was being quite genuine..:)

Thank you :cool:

markie1966
16-06-2011, 21:15
think no panic and maggy should get a room lol

Nopanic
16-06-2011, 21:26
think no panic and maggy should get a room lol

I agree :hugs::luv:

Chrysalis
16-06-2011, 22:22
We are all volunteers on this site posting in our own time, so to me I value every member of this site equal. I have no aim to 'slur' VM staff but I also wont give them extra value over non VM staff either. I am actually worried CF moderators have took the effort to post that we should not be upsetting VM staff as that indicates bias.

This doesnt mean I dont appreciate when VM staff may post some hot news or help someone but its the same way I appreciate if anyone gets help from anyone really. Seph and ignition have helped many people on this site and they both dont work for VM.

Maggy
16-06-2011, 22:23
Hmm. Sad how being polite is so unusual these days..:(

Chrysalis
16-06-2011, 22:26
my point is we shouldnt be upsetting 'any' member not just the VM members.

Peter_
16-06-2011, 22:33
Whats wrong is when people try to say that the people who work with this equipment are incorrect when we post about the various modems used and the processes and procedures that we must follow.

Strangely enough anyone that actually works for a company does know that they have to follow the company line with regards what they say about companies products and if they are seen to be running down the company on a public forum then that can lead to disciplinary proceedings and possible dismissal.

Now if anyone here cares to say differently about the company they work for then they are plainly lying through their teeth.

Also if I state my equipment is working fine and you think that I should not mention it because it does not fit in with what you want, well tough it works get over it because along with hundreds of thousands of other Superhubs out there it actually does its job.

My present System Up Time is 33 days 05h:23m:47s

Chrysalis
16-06-2011, 22:35
Masque there is nothing wrong with it you misunderstood me, in fatc I may have even misunderstood the original post I replied to. :)

Nopanic
17-06-2011, 07:14
We are all volunteers on this site posting in our own time, so to me I value every member of this site equal. I have no aim to 'slur' VM staff but I also wont give them extra value over non VM staff either. I am actually worried CF moderators have took the effort to post that we should not be upsetting VM staff as that indicates bias.

I don't believe that's what has been posted, more of a don't be critical of someone for working for VM .. as you see some posts attack staffers expecting them to do certain things because they work for VM.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this, but in the staff forum there is a note from the moderators saying that they are grateful for staffers but we have to abide by the rules and are not above the other members.

We are members, nothing more.

_wtf_
17-06-2011, 07:44
Strangely enough anyone that actually works for a company does know that they have to follow the company line with regards what they say about companies products and if they are seen to be running down the company on a public forum then that can lead to disciplinary proceedings and possible dismissal.

Yet you still have BS in your sig. That's the bit that annoys me. If people don't see the posts where you openly admit you are following the company line and then see the posts where you're siding with VM's equipment/policies they are essentially being lied to and because of your position are more than likely to listen to you.

Nopanic
17-06-2011, 07:46
Yet you still have BS in your sig. That's the bit that annoys me. If people don't see the posts where you openly admit you are following the company line and then see the posts where you're siding with VM's equipment/policies they are essentially being lied to and because of your position are more than likely to listen to you.

I think his Superhub sig is in reference to the many members who put VMNG is great or Suberhub is crap in theirs ..

Remember he's only a member too .. I think someone coming to the forum reading all the Superhub bashing will be lead down the other path ..

_wtf_
17-06-2011, 07:56
I think his Superhub sig is in reference to the many members who put VMNG is great or Suberhub is crap in theirs ..

Remember he's only a member too .. I think someone coming to the forum reading all the Superhub bashing will be lead down the other path ..

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Virgin Media's positions, strategies or opinions."

Nopanic
17-06-2011, 08:00
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent Virgin Media's positions, strategies or opinions."

Ah, he has to post that if he wants to tell people he works for VM.

Otherwise there are possible legal issues ..

Same as mine ..

_wtf_
17-06-2011, 08:06
Ah, he has to post that if he wants to tell people he works for VM.

Otherwise there are possible legal issues ..

Same as mine ..

Not quite, yours doesn't say much other than you work for VM. You certainly don't imply you may disagree with VM in anyway.

Peter_
17-06-2011, 08:25
That is what the company prefer us to put in our signature if we want to post in the public domain, I chose to use the exact wording they put in the rules but we can use variables on that theme.

As for my signature about my Superhub well it it actually based in fact and it has not been rebooted for 34 days up to now and nor has it dropped out once since the 11th February when I installed it, this is how the majority of Superhubs operate and considering we have over 300,000 out on the network we see very few issues with them.

Now do remember that people in the main only ever come on forums because initially they have a problem and not to praise their ISP.

zekeisaszekedoes
17-06-2011, 18:34
Hmm. Sad how being polite is so unusual these days..:(

Something I lament quite a lot, both online and in real life.

Yet you still have BS in your sig. That's the bit that annoys me. If people don't see the posts where you openly admit you are following the company line

Following the company line as it applies to his tier of service within the infrastructure, yes. But of course the line is subject to change as you go up through the hierarchy, which is why those in the CEO's office are able to circumvent usual practice in aid of excellent customer service. This often results in retention and/or praise to VM after dealing unsuccessfully with the 1st line offshore support for example.

I think that's the short version, anyway. Bit verbose though! ;)

Depends on how it is done. I'm among the group who won't call either the kit or the supporters of it silly names: I honestly think the poor performance in some quarters speaks for itself, so blowing things way out of proportion isn't necessary or useful in reinforcing my particular side of the debate.

DigitalShadow
17-06-2011, 19:16
Just to bring it back on topic, about the VMNG300 being epic...

Upload info since VMNG been changed to 100/10mbit config = 238Gb (since 14th)... 238Gb uploaded!

Wireless in use, iplayer has been downloading, dropbox syncing and all kinds of data moving around... gaming, web design, backups, ftp and guess what, VMNG + my router not one reboot, dropout, slowdown or anything.

Why couldn't VM put the modem in the WNDR3700?

Pantsu-san
17-06-2011, 19:49
What "re-training" would that be?

Sorry about the delay in reply. 3 day ITIL training ftw.

Uhm. Basically, as you didn't read it in another thread, I was lied to by the visiting engineer and his supervisor: they told me that the reason I couldn't have the 100Mb service on a VMNG300 was due to the fact it was technically impossible.

This is a fantasy and telling blatant fibs to a customer, especially a knowledgeable one, is not good.

When this was pointed out to Mr B, seeing as his office had already sanctioned my initial 300@100Mb request, the person tasked with assisting my situation had personally contacted the attending engineer/supervisor and advised them that this is, in fact, garbage of the highest order and that the 100Mb service was in use via VMNG300 modems way before the Superhub was squeezed out of Netgear's rancid behind.

Oh, and according to the email, he also advised them both that telling porkies to customers is a bad thing™

Nopanic
17-06-2011, 22:20
Sorry about the delay in reply. 3 day ITIL training ftw.

Uhm. Basically, as you didn't read it in another thread, I was lied to by the visiting engineer and his supervisor: they told me that the reason I couldn't have the 100Mb service on a VMNG300 was due to the fact it was technically impossible.

This is a fantasy and telling blatant fibs to a customer, especially a knowledgeable one, is not good.

When this was pointed out to Mr B, seeing as his office had already sanctioned my initial 300@100Mb request, the person tasked with assisting my situation had personally contacted the attending engineer/supervisor and advised them that this is, in fact, garbage of the highest order and that the 100Mb service was in use via VMNG300 modems way before the Superhub was squeezed out of Netgear's rancid behind.

Oh, and according to the email, he also advised them both that telling porkies to customers is a bad thing™

Fair enough, thanks for explaining. Glad to see feedback making its way to the front line .. I'm a strong supporter of telling people when they do a good and bad job.

Paul
18-06-2011, 00:55
I am actually worried CF moderators have took the effort to post that we should not be upsetting VM staff as that indicates bias.

There is no bias. We have rules about not "upsetting" any member, whoever they happen to work for. Equally, everyone (inc VM staff) has to follow site rules. At least one VM staff member has served a suspension recently for breaking forum rules. Now .. back to the topic please. :cool: