PDA

View Full Version : 100M Upgrade to 100mbit worth it?

EdwardTobia
10-06-2011, 12:57
Hi all,

Currently on the 50mbit service and have been for a long time and the speed seems rock solid (even with the Superhub they recently replaced my VMNG300 for).

I was thinking about upgrading to the 100mbit service, is it actually worth it?

Are the speeds stable on the 100mbit compared to the 50mbit service? as i seem to have rock solid stability with my 50mbit connection...

I see it will cost me an extra £10 a month to upgrade to the 100mbit service but theres also a £30 activation fee, do you think its possible to get the activation fee waived?

Let me know your thoughts, help me make my decision :)

Thanks all

toytown
10-06-2011, 13:02
I was thinking about upgrading to the 100mbit service, is it actually worth it?

Depends on what you are using the line for, if your just browsing, gaming etc, then a 10Mbit would be perfectly fine.

Neo-Tech
10-06-2011, 13:10
If you have a SuperHub, you should have the activation fee waived I think because its just a change of the configuration file. Although all VM staff say 100Mb is a manned install and requires an engineer, even if you're already on a SuperHub with checked power levels...

EdwardTobia
10-06-2011, 13:12
Depends on what you are using the line for, if your just browsing, gaming etc, then a 10Mbit would be perfectly fine.

I do a lot of downloading so the speed would be nice, would just like to know if its actually a stable service, as i have always managed to get the full 50mbit speed out of my connection and never had any problems...

Want to know your thoughts on it and if its worth paying the extra to upgrade...

Neo-Tech
10-06-2011, 13:15
If you want to know what others think of it, best reading some of the threads on this forum and http://community.virginmedia.com forums :)

ScottSilver
10-06-2011, 13:22
My 100Mbit connection seems to max at around 97Mbit. I had tried 50Mbit for a week and it maxed at just over 50Mbit, so although it doesn't max out the connection like 50Mbit did, £10 a month extra is worth it for an additional 47Mbit. My upload doesn't seem to go any higher then 7.5Mbit though.

See my signature for some speed tests.

EdwardTobia
10-06-2011, 13:30
My 100Mbit connection seems to max at around 97Mbit. I had tried 50Mbit for a week and it maxed at just over 50Mbit, so although it doesn't max out the connection like 50Mbit did, £10 a month extra is worth it for an additional 47Mbit. My upload doesn't seem to go any higher then 7.5Mbit though.

See my signature for some speed tests.

Sounds good :)

Would i have to pay the £30 activation fee for upgrading from 50mbit to 100mbit? or is the activation fee only for new customers?

Since i already have the SuperHub etc.. would a technician need to come out to load the modem configuration file or could they do it remotely if i call them up to upgrade?

Cheers

ScottSilver
10-06-2011, 13:37
Call CS and go to "thinking of leaving us". Tell them that you have 50Mbit and a Superhub and don't see why you need an engineer to visit. The agent should just tick a few boxes and within 24hours you'll be on 100Mbit. This is the route I followed.

Regards the activation fee, tell them you're struggling to upgrade online (where it is free) and they'll remove the cost.

EdwardTobia
10-06-2011, 13:41
Call CS and go to "thinking of leaving us". Tell them that you have 50Mbit and a Superhub and don't see why you need an engineer to visit. The agent should just tick a few boxes and within 24hours you'll be on 100Mbit. This is the route I followed.

Regards the activation fee, tell them you're struggling to upgrade online (where it is free) and they'll remove the cost.

OK great thanks for the tip!

So no needs for them to send out a technician as i already have the SuperHub etc?

Guessing they will upload the config to my SuperHub from their end and just reboot the SuperHub to reflect the changes?

ScottSilver
10-06-2011, 13:43
Rebooting the hub didn't work for me but at just gone midnight the hub reset with the 100Mbit profile.

weezel
10-06-2011, 19:20
If you're sensible with your downloads re peak time traffic management, then yep, it is definitely worth it. if you're like me and you notice the difference between 50 and 100 even for light use, you'll always want the fastest.

barnsley
10-06-2011, 20:23
I'm now in the lucky position that 100Mb is running past my house. My household are very heavy users of the web, I'm on 50Mb and it's quite stable, if I request an upgrade to 100Mb do I need an engineer to visit and do I have to have one of those damned superhub things? I would like to continue using the current cable modem and my own router (Netgear WNDR3700).

Looking foward to any replies,

Dave

Charliedontsurf
10-06-2011, 21:10
I had 100Mb and they sent a "tech" to install it. I already had a superhub but the "tech" installed a new superhub and took away my old one.

I was on 50Mb, I have now dropped back to 50Mb but I have a VMNG300 modem not that useless superhub but I briefly had 100Mb on the modem worked fine.

As for if you need 100Mb well.............No you dont do you and you know it....Why would you need a massively over managed 100Mb.

Stick with Virginmedias 50Mb, its almost as good as an ADSL+2 10Mb line.

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

If you're sensible with your downloads re peak time traffic management, then yep, it is definitely worth it. if you're like me and you notice the difference between 50 and 100 even for light use, you'll always want the fastest.

A "light" user would struggle to notice any difference as the average web page loads no fast on 100Mb than it does on 10Mb.

weezel
10-06-2011, 21:21
I had 100Mb and they sent a "tech" to install it. I already had a superhub but the "tech" installed a new superhub and took away my old one.

I was on 50Mb, I have now dropped back to 50Mb but I have a VMNG300 modem not that useless superhub but I briefly had 100Mb on the modem worked fine.

As for if you need 100Mb well.............No you dont do you and you know it....Why would you need a massively over managed 100Mb.

Stick with Virginmedias 50Mb, its almost as good as an ADSL+2 10Mb line.

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

A "light" user would struggle to notice any difference as the average web page loads no fast on 100Mb than it does on 10Mb.

Just as well that I didnt exclusively refere to light users :D