PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Virgin Total Security Anti Virus Configuration

wat
03-06-2011, 15:33
How is the anti virus configured in the Total Security package?

I'm trying to help my dad who had just got broadband. On his machine in Windows security centre it is showing no anti virus installed. He says Virgin installed the security themselves remotely.

Is this correct that Windows shows no anti virus installed?

Any help much appreciated.

pip08456
03-06-2011, 15:59
Don't know nor never have used it, nor would I let any company install any software remotely unless I knew exactly what it was. There are plenty of free AV progs out there which don't use as much rescources as VM security.

AVG, Avast etc.

wat
03-06-2011, 16:18
Thanks for this.

He had AVAST on it before, but was told to uninstall so the Total Security package that came with the broadband could be installed.

At the moment I can't get to his machine, so I'm trying to figure out if he has any anti virus protection at all on the machine.

I'm pretty sure that there is none installed on the PC, but I don't know how the Virgin Broadband software works, whether it runs at the other end from their server or router.

Chrysalis
03-06-2011, 16:19
never heard of that name, also never heard of them install AV remotely before either.

pip08456
03-06-2011, 16:27
VM security software for users has to be downloaded and installed by the user AFAIK. That said I wouldn't have it and there is no reason you or your father has to have it. If you and he are happy with the AV option you use there is no problem.

BTW VM's security software is Kaspersky- well known as a rescource hog!

wat
03-06-2011, 16:31
Thanks Guys

I've just looked at it again and it's called Virgin Media Security here is the link to a description https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/security.

Maybe it runs on the router, but I can't tell from the info there. I was just hoping that if anyone else is running this, maybe they could tell me if they also have an antivirus installed on the PC or whether it would conflict.

pip08456
03-06-2011, 17:00
Thanks Guys

I've just looked at it again and it's called Virgin Media Security here is the link to a description https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/security.

Maybe it runs on the router, but I can't tell from the info there. I was just hoping that if anyone else is running this, maybe they could tell me if they also have an antivirus installed on the PC or whether it would conflict.

It doesn't run on the router. You have to download and install it onto each PC/laptop.

It is not worth having if you are happy with what you've got!

Kursk
03-06-2011, 18:23
Virgin Media Security includes anti-virus and anti-spyware. Like pip08456 says, you would have to download it and instal it on your Dad's machine. Don't run another AV with it or they may conflict.

I tried Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security_essentials/default.aspx) recently; it was nice and 'clean' and seemed to use less resources but don't have MSE and VM security. Choose one and go with it!

pip08456
03-06-2011, 20:22
Virgin Media Security includes anti-virus and anti-spyware. Like pip08456 says, you would have to download it and instal it on your Dad's machine. Don't run another AV with it or they may conflict.

I tried Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security_essentials/default.aspx) recently; it was nice and 'clean' and seemed to use less resources but don't have MSE and VM security. Choose one and go with it!

Exactly. For a "normal" user MSE is good although I would recommend a monthly scan with Malwarebytes just to be sure (another free prog).

Chrysalis
03-06-2011, 21:06
yeah MSE is decent for a free app.

What frustrates me is no product protects against everything, many a/v vendors have made a deliberate decision to not bother with rootkits and keyloggers which is why is always reccomended to also run malwarebytes as well as specific rootkit detectors.

pip08456
03-06-2011, 21:18
Malwarebytes does exactly what it says on the tin! It is not a replacement for any antivirus software merely an addon.

The first product that advertises it protects against everything will be targeted by those who write the (insert your own word) that cause the problems.

Even MAC users can wipe that smug smile off their faces!

wat
04-06-2011, 17:49
Thanks all for your assistance. It has helped. I think I'm going to have a look at MSE. I use AVG on my own machine and that seems to be pretty good.