PDA

View Full Version : dns issues ts5 ?

mrmistoffelees
02-06-2011, 11:06
Hello all

Anyone experiencing dns issues ? Unable to access hsbc online banking and getting dns issues on ps3

Can access hsbc from my galaxy

Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

update.....

just on the phone to VM now

Laptop connecte directly to SACM gives an IP address starting 213. (which is invalid apparently but allows me to access the hsbc.co.uk secure website.

Connecting the router gives a WAN IP address starting 86. which is valid but does not allow access to https:\\www.hsbc.co.uk etc etc.

Im slightly confuddled now.....

Any ideas ???

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Further update.....

Just cloned my laptop MAC into the router and guess what, all is well........

Any VM techs able to explain why I suddenly have to do this ???

Cheers,

Al

Chrysalis
02-06-2011, 11:09
if cloning your mac fixed it then its probably routing issues rather than dns.

the clone probably put you on a different subnet and that subnet is been routed different.

during the last 2 days there is numerous routing related issues reported so seems to be a problem somewhere in VM's network.

mrmistoffelees
02-06-2011, 11:16
if cloning your mac fixed it then its probably routing issues rather than dns.

the clone probably put you on a different subnet and that subnet is been routed different.

during the last 2 days there is numerous routing related issues reported so seems to be a problem somewhere in VM's network.

Thank you, I thought something like this might be the case but Vm tech insisted it was my router causing the problem.

Thanks for the input

Chrysalis
02-06-2011, 12:44
this is the problem with having customers report routing issues to generic tech support, its above their heads.

Peter_
02-06-2011, 13:37
The is presently an issue with secure sites and one in particular is RBS.

So try setting up a Proxy as below.

Proxy for IE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The proxy goes in your browser.

The proxy to use is : webcache.virginmedia.com

The port number is : 8080

How to set up proxy in Internet Explorer 6/7

Step 1 ? On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
Step 2 Under Proxy server, click to select the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.
Step 3 In the Address box, type : webcache.virginmedia.com
Step 4 In the Port box, type the port number that is used by the proxy server for client connections (by default, 8080).
Step 5 You can click to select the Bypass proxy server for local addresses check box if you do not want the proxy server computer to be used when you connect to a computer on the local network.
Step 6 Click OK to close the LAN Settings dialog box.
Step 7 Click OK again to close the Internet Options dialog box.

Proxy for Firefox

Here is a proxy add on for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2464

To enable proxy settings in Firefox

Select Tools -> Options. ( In some Firefox browser's you have to go to Edit>Preferences usually in LInux )
Select Advanced.
Open the Network tab.
In 'Connections' area click 'Settings' button.
Select Manual Proxy Configuration radio button.
In the necessary proxy field(s), put webcache.virginmedia.com in the HTTP field and change the port number to 8080 then
Click 'OK'