PDA

View Full Version : Superhub I'm just about sick of the Superhub......

fixerman
30-05-2011, 07:51
After a period of stability my 30mb Superhub now requires rebooting every day to enable wireless access. The Superhub shows on the wireless devices but does not allow a connection until it is rebooted. The wife is giving me grief for changing from my old Belkin which might require a reboot once a year.

Any advice please?:help:

foddy
30-05-2011, 10:26
Any advice please?:help:
Either call an engineer to get a replacement, or find a cheap wireless access point and plug it into your SH by wire. If you have an old ADSL router, they can normally be set up to disable most of their features and work as an AP.

kwikbreaks
30-05-2011, 12:23
Masque says this behaviour must be a faulty unit. I'm not so convinced and think it is dodgy firmware which may eventually be fixed but I have posted on the VM community board asking if I need a replacement. Perhaps if everyone with hubs doing this asked for a replacement it would give the rather leisurely firmware development a suitably sharp prod.

It isn't a massive inconvenience to me as I don't hammer the wireless so can go for a week and often longer before this problem shows up. I'd say phone in and ask for a new one but I doubt it will be any different.

Nopanic
30-05-2011, 12:29
Masque says this behaviour must be a faulty unit. I'm not so convinced and think it is dodgy firmware which may eventually be fixed but I have posted on the VM community board asking if I need a replacement. Perhaps if everyone with hubs doing this asked for a replacement it would give the rather leisurely firmware development a suitably sharp prod.

It isn't a massive inconvenience to me as I don't hammer the wireless so can go for a week and often longer before this problem shows up. I'd say phone in and ask for a new one but I doubt it will be any different.

If you don't get from the Hubs what they are meant to do, then report it, report it and report it .. keep reporting it until you get one that works .. or they fix it (if its a bug)

You pay to have BBI and if they are going to force you to use their Hub .. (at the moment) then it damn sure better work .. :cool:

kwikbreaks
30-05-2011, 12:42
The problem is after years of garbage operating systems and software being the norm people are conditioned to the "not working - reboot it" philosophy and probably don't even see it as a fault that should be fixed. There has to be some reason why VM aren't inundated with complaints from those less fortunate than some here apparently are.

_wtf_
30-05-2011, 12:46
The problem is after years of garbage operating systems and software being the norm people are conditioned to the "not working - reboot it" philosophy and probably don't even see it as a fault that should be fixed.

:tu: :tu: :tu:

People generally don't seem to know what a good service/product is anymore.

And I'm not just on about Virgin Media

Nopanic
30-05-2011, 12:47
The problem is after years of garbage operating systems and software being the norm people are conditioned to the "not working - reboot it" philosophy and probably don't even see it as a fault that should be fixed. There has to be some reason why VM aren't inundated with complaints from those less fortunate than some here apparently are.

Maybe the majority of the users, aren't hitting the limits of the device like the users here ?

Personally I have a choice between the Hub and the VMNG, both sitting here, both provisioned to accounts and both working.

I used the Superhub for my personal account, 99% of my traffic goes through it and I am a heavy user .. I only use the VMNG for testing .. My Hub is on 17 days now without reboot, my wireless isn't great for my HTC, but the HTC is crap so ..

When I connect my work lappy to it, from down stairs, it works fine. I was working for 26 hours last month, (in one go, not for the whole month :D ) I was on wireless, using VPN and it didn't have a single drop out, I have my machine upstairs running utorrent and had someone else surfing the internet wirelessly for a few hours.

Skie
30-05-2011, 12:47
Most tech support people wont consider it a fault either if simply rebooting it resolves the issue. India will close the call the second you indicate its working again.

Nopanic
30-05-2011, 12:52
Most tech support people wont consider it a fault either if simply rebooting it resolves the issue. India will close the call the second you indicate its working again.

True .. but if you call again and make sure it's noted, even call complaints and tell them you have called in, over and over..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not encouraging being to complain, but you need to get what you pay for.

TJS
30-05-2011, 12:54

Not to start some kind of debate but; I have been a mac user since the late 90's my laptop is on an uptime of 47 days; so I am by no means conditioned to thinking that.

My super-hub hit 16 days uptime before it restarted due to virgin doing something in the street cabinets (I know it was down tot hat because the people across the road's went down at the same time) :dozey:

Now; i'm not sure if its quality control issues with the super-hub that could be the cause of problems; or perhaps the hub not playing fair with people network devices but it runs flawless for me over 3 MacBooks (various generations + specs) 2 iPhones and a mac mini All of which use broad-com chips for networking (afaik)

Nopanic
30-05-2011, 12:58
Not to start some kind of debate but; I have been a mac user since the late 90's my laptop is on an uptime of 47 days; so I am by no means conditioned to thinking that.

My super-hub hit 16 days uptime before it restarted due to virgin doing something in the street cabinets (I know it was down tot hat because the people across the road's went down at the same time) :dozey:

Now; i'm not sure if its quality control issues with the super-hub that could be the cause of problems; or perhaps the hub not playing fair with people network devices but it runs flawless for me over 3 MacBooks (various generations + specs) 2 iPhones and a mac mini All of which use broad-com chips for networking (afaik)

As a MAC user your opinion is void from all discussions :D:D

I have to test on MACs and they drive me crazy .. after so many years on PCS ... I get really wound up lol

fixerman
30-05-2011, 13:35

To be honest I can't bear the thoughts of speaking to an Indian Call Centre. The phone line is usually very poor quality and it irritates me the way they run through the stupid patter, like, after telling them the problem, and then without another word they ask you is there anything else they can help you with. I usually respond with " You haven't helped with the first problem yet" and of course they don't understand the sarcasm.

I'm really sorry I got the Superhub. I am very happy with all my other VM services but I feel I was conned by VM when it came to the Superhub.

URGH!!!!!!:banghead:

craigj2k12
30-05-2011, 13:49
As a MAC user your opinion is void from all discussions :D:D

I have to test on MACs and they drive me crazy .. after so many years on PCS ... I get really wound up lol

i know they are ****. Try adding 85 of them to a windows domain when youve only ever used one once before. That was the longest week of my life

Peter_
30-05-2011, 13:58
Masque says this behaviour must be a faulty unit. I'm not so convinced and think it is dodgy firmware which may eventually be fixed.
This may be a faulty unit but not necessarily so as it would need to be checked out remotely with our online tools before any decision as to what may be causing it can be decided, as for it being firmware related that is doubtful considering the amount of these in circulation.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Most tech support people wont consider it a fault either if simply rebooting it resolves the issue.

Not really as the must be something causing the problem and simply rebooting is not the answer.

TJS
30-05-2011, 15:00
i know they are ****. Try adding 85 of them to a windows domain when youve only ever used one once before. That was the longest week of my life

Dont use a [Mod Edit] windows network then :) all you need to do is turn macs on and have them on the same network and its done LOL if you want to share files over the network go on settings then sharing and tick file sharing; jobs a good'n

Nopanic
30-05-2011, 15:01
Dont use a [Mod Edit]windows network then :) all you need to do is turn macs on and have them on the same network and its done LOL if you want to share files over the network go on settings then sharing and tick file sharing; jobs a good'n

woohhoo calm down MAC man .. I didn't understand a word of that ..

t-u-r-n them o-n ??

DigitalShadow
30-05-2011, 15:08
woohhoo calm down MAC man .. I didn't understand a word of that ..

t-u-r-n them o-n ??

LOL, I've tried to use a mac, but where is the right click?

Hugh
30-05-2011, 15:23
Dont use a [Mod Edit] windows network then :) all you need to do is turn macs on and have them on the same network and its done LOL if you want to share files over the network go on settings then sharing and tick file sharing; jobs a good'n
Bit of a problem doing that if you have 3000 PCs on your network and you need authentication and secure segmented file usage and appropriate corporate systems controls....;)

TJS
30-05-2011, 16:37
LOL, I've tried to use a mac, but where is the right click?

you can use a 2 click mouse if you so wish; or ctrl and click; or 2 fingers on the touchpad and click :)

also

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/33.png

also this is going way off topic LOL

fixerman
30-05-2011, 16:54
Hugh! Is it me or has this thread that I started gone slightly Off Topic?:erm:

Hugh
30-05-2011, 16:59
No, it's not you.....

zerolight
31-05-2011, 15:37
Why not set up the belkin as a wired gateway into your superhub, then use the wireless on the belkin. I run mine like that, albeit I used an ASUS into the superhub.

pip08456
31-05-2011, 15:59
Why not set up the belkin as a wired gateway into your superhub, then use the wireless on the belkin. I run mine like that, albeit I used an ASUS into the superhub.

It will be even easier when bridge mode is finally released to turn it into a dumb modem.

If VM wish to associate the word Super to this CPE then it should have a feature rich GUI and not have less than the most basic router a user could buy.

Most of all it should be true UPnP and work

Fspiders
31-05-2011, 17:09
I'm on my second super hub and had my voltages trimmed and I'm down to 4 or 5 reboots a day now. A vast improvement over the 5 reboots an hour.

It's purely down to the wireless as it doesn't go down at all when wireless is switched off.

I have a netgear N-300 and have tried to cable that into the super hub but I just get a "device is managed by 192.168.1.2" when I try to access the N-300 to set up networking and internet.

Regards.

Peter_
31-05-2011, 17:44
I have a netgear N-300 and have tried to cable that into the super hub but I just get a "device is managed by 192.168.1.2" when I try to access the N-300 to set up networking and internet.

Regards.
Try this link.http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hub

Milambar
31-05-2011, 18:08

While this will work, and is a viable solution, why should he have to do this?

I personally have no superhub related issues except for the wireless dropping about once a day requiring a reboot, but reading these (and other) forums, gives strong indication that there IS a significant minority subset of users with superhub problems.

Significant minority meaning lots and lots of users, but still only a small percentage of the total users.

Its like buying a nice new, shiny car with lots of "bling", then finding out its engine doesn't work, but the garage refusing to do anything about it, because you can buy a second clapped out but working car to tow it.

Under the sale of goods act, 1979, goods must be
1) As described,
2) Of satisfactory quality
3) Fit for the purpose for which they were sold

While the superhubs are not technically sold, if theres a significant number of people with failures, even though its a small percentage of the total userbase, resulting in them having to find work rounds such as buying a 2nd router to get basic and reliable functionality, I personally would be arguing that they fail under part 3. Fit for the purpose.

Just a thought to throw out there...

Perhaps Netgear made two or more batches of superduds. Same exterior design, differing internals, but functional to the same specification. Therefore, firmware designed for one, is slightly broken on the other?

pip08456
31-05-2011, 18:13
You have answered your question yourself.

Cue Masque et al posting "mines been up and running for xxdays xxhrs with no problems".

Nopanic
31-05-2011, 18:38
While this will work, and is a viable solution, why should he have to do this?

I personally have no superhub related issues except for the wireless dropping about once a day requiring a reboot, but reading these (and other) forums, gives strong indication that there IS a significant minority subset of users with superhub problems.

Significant minority meaning lots and lots of users, but still only a small percentage of the total users.

Its like buying a nice new, shiny car with lots of "bling", then finding out its engine doesn't work, but the garage refusing to do anything about it, because you can buy a second clapped out but working car to tow it.

Under the sale of goods act, 1979, goods must be
1) As described,
2) Of satisfactory quality
3) Fit for the purpose for which they were sold

While the superhubs are not technically sold, if theres a significant number of people with failures, even though its a small percentage of the total userbase, resulting in them having to find work rounds such as buying a 2nd router to get basic and reliable functionality, I personally would be arguing that they fail under part 3. Fit for the purpose.

Just a thought to throw out there...

Perhaps Netgear made two or more batches of superduds. Same exterior design, differing internals, but functional to the same specification. Therefore, firmware designed for one, is slightly broken on the other?

However VM are not required to provide a router, or a device suitable to support more than one connection.

The Superhub, wired appears to work for everyone ..

(Not taking sides)

pip08456
31-05-2011, 18:51
However VM are not required to provide a router, or a device suitable to support more than one connection.

(Not taking sides)

In that case why didn't they do what they were required to do and supply a modem?!

Why did they force customers to use an inferior CPE?

The CPE even wired does not seem to work for everyone.

Why did they deign to prefer a name on it which it doesn't live up to and makes them a mockery!

Consider yourself chastised!:D:D:D

kwikbreaks
01-06-2011, 10:34
VM are not required to provide anything at all but they'd have a problem selling their broadband if they didn't.

Pretty much the normal endpoint for home broadband is a wireless router. VM used to provide that via a modem and quite low end router - presumably supplying the wireless cable router to compete with the bulk of ADSL ISPs who supply ADSL routers. Anybody wanting better than the standard ADSL ISP issued kit can buy their own but you can't buy your own cable modem. That was not an issue until VM decided to swap over to a hub for reasons best known to their marketing people but almost certainly because they view one box as simpler and most customers as thick. The problem with that is they supplied a really low end router which seems to have some compatibility issues. The result is people reluctant to upgrade because they will get a Superhub which they have seen lambasted on just about every board dealing with cable.

techguyone
01-06-2011, 10:56
VM are not required to provide anything at all but they'd have a problem selling their broadband if they didn't.

Pretty much the normal endpoint for home broadband is a wireless router. VM used to provide that via a modem and quite low end router - presumably supplying the wireless cable router to compete with the bulk of ADSL ISPs who supply ADSL routers. Anybody wanting better than the standard ADSL ISP issued kit can buy their own but you can't buy your own cable modem. That was not an issue until VM decided to swap over to a hub for reasons best known to their marketing people but almost certainly because they view one box as simpler and most customers as thick. The problem with that is they supplied a really low end router which seems to have some compatibility issues. The result is people reluctant to upgrade because they will get a Superhub which they have seen lambasted on just about every board dealing with cable.

And that post should be pinned onto every VM internet management teams desk, quite possibly the most accurate post I've ever read here.

GrimUpNorth
01-06-2011, 14:29

(Not taking sides)

If only that was true for the two superhub bookends I have in the loft...

Cheers
Grim

borrissey
02-06-2011, 15:03
Ive had my suoerhub a week I can tell you it doesn't like homeplugs keep getting disconnects and a lot of the time I can't connect I have to reboot everything. You'd think a wired connection would be stable. It sucks!!! Very very annoying. I'm on 100mb.

If only I could have my old modem back when I was on 50mb. sad face...

Tom255
07-06-2011, 11:11
2 engineer visits and 4 superhubs later and i still have crap speeds (<20meg). They dont know whats wrong with my connection and its been passed on to the networking team, but given the fact that when the engineer plugged in his VMG300 test modem and immediatly got full 50meg speeds out of it I can use my amazing powers of deduction and say its the Superhub(s) thats the problem, i know call me crazy right?

To add insult to injury i have a VMG300 sat next to me but "i cant get 50meg through it" according to VM staff (lies) so they wont let me use it. How are other ppl on here still using their VMG300's ? Who do i need to bribe to get mine registered?

craigj2k12
07-06-2011, 12:16
2 engineer visits and 4 superhubs later and i still have crap speeds (<20meg). They dont know whats wrong with my connection and its been passed on to the networking team, but given the fact that when the engineer plugged in his VMG300 test modem and immediatly got full 50meg speeds out of it I can use my amazing powers of deduction and say its the Superhub(s) thats the problem, i know call me crazy right?

To add insult to injury i have a VMG300 sat next to me but "i cant get 50meg through it" according to VM staff (lies) so they wont let me use it. How are other ppl on here still using their VMG300's ? Who do i need to bribe to get mine registered?

what a load of bull. the VMNG300 was the modem released with the 50mb service and its capable of 200mb. there are people using it with 100mb so why they wouldnt let you use it with 50mb is insane

kwikbreaks
07-06-2011, 12:58
Why oh why do people's mileages vary so much with this thing???

We know that Masque's and all the forum team have Superhubs that work perfectly 24x7 and most haven't been rebooted since Noah's flood cut off the leccy. They aren't alone either as every so often somebody pops up agreeing that theirs works just fine yet every board dealing with VM is jam packed with Superhub complaints.

craigj2k12
07-06-2011, 13:16
superhubs are crap and only work for the most basic of operations. in masques case, he keeps saying his superhub works, but he actually has another router connected to it which he uses for the wireless

Hugh
07-06-2011, 13:22
superhubs are crap and only work for the most basic of operations. in masques case, he keeps saying his superhub works, but he actually has another router connected to it which he uses for the wirelessI don't know about him, but I use the superhub for wireless downstairs, and a Netgear wireless router upstairs (as we have over a dozen wireless devices in our house, and 3/4 of those regularly move location (smartphones, iPad/iTouch, laptops).

I would caveat your statement with "some" (as in "some superhubs are crap, but not all of them", as your statement is all-inclusive), as I know around 25 people (neighbours and friends) who have superhubs, and who use them for wireless as well as wired, and they have not reported any adverse affects (which does not negate the fact that others have).

Chrysalis
07-06-2011, 14:11
well if someone is having to use a AP alongside the superhub they can hardly call it perfect truthfully can they?

Mick Fisher
07-06-2011, 14:20
As my superhub's spontaneous rebooting problem seemed to sort itself out and it's wireless performance, albeit only at 145, seemed stable, I thought, maybe it's not the bees knees of routers but at least it is usuable to an extent. :)

Unfortunately over the last two days the rebooting has started again and yesterday I woke up to find the dreaded no networks found on wireless devices. It took a manual reboot of the superhub and a restart of the laptop to get things back to normal. So yeah I'm back to thinking it's a POS and can't wait for bridge mode so I can get a router that WORKS. :(

If Bridge mode don't work, and I suspect it will misbehave in just the same way as router mode with regard to the rebooting, then I will be off to Infinity.

Oh! wait, but VM locked me into a new 12 month contract for a POS that don't work AND charged me £30.00 for the privilage. :td:

Seems VM must have known more about the superhub than than they let on initially and so took steps to cover their bases.

Sick of the superhub, yeah right up to here. ;)

Hugh
07-06-2011, 15:06
well if someone is having to use a AP alongside the superhub they can hardly call it perfect truthfully can they?

Erm, even when I only had an Ambit 256, I had 2 x wireless routers, due to the house layout and size, and the number of devices attaching to them.

Chrysalis
07-06-2011, 15:13
you live in a mansion?

Fspiders
07-06-2011, 15:58
I was an advocate of the super hub having upgraded from a steady 20mb on an ambit. I had a super connection wired and wireless never needed to reboot once.

I was puzzled at all the negative feedback with the super hub.

Then my area got the 3mb upload upgrade and the hub got the firmware update at the same time. Disaster!

2 hubs later and 2 visits from techs and I was still re-booting 4 times an hour and next door's signal was stronger than mine when I did get it going. I soon realised it was only stable if wireless was switched off.

I have a Belkin play that I was going to flog on Ebay when I got the super hub, luckily I didn't as at Masques direction to the "how to use a router with the super hub" I'm now a happy chappy.

Super hub is now a basic modem and my Belkin is now in charge giving me full dual band speed with fast online wireless/wired playing on xbox and ps3. A much faster and reliable network and a vastly more powerful signal for my laptop and TV.

And not one super hub re-boot! So in my humble opinion the super hub for me is at best a basic modem that can only supply the superior Belkin play with an internet feed.

craigj2k12
07-06-2011, 15:59
Erm, even when I only had an Ambit 256, I had 2 x wireless routers, due to the house layout and size, and the number of devices attaching to them.

the ambit 256 doesnt have built in wireless :D

kwikbreaks
07-06-2011, 16:06
the ambit 256 doesnt have built in wireless :D
.. that's a bit unfair as Masque only uses one additional AP with it (I guess).

I run a Fonera+ (802.11g only) and fixed it up with an outside antenna. If I move out of the room where the Superhub is the signal and speeds from that outside antenna are better than the superhub.....

lojelo5
07-06-2011, 16:23
Though we have some major problems with the superhub I personally think it can be a decent bit of hardware once all the issues have been sorted.

I've had similar problems with 2 of the 4 hubs I have had upto now.

1st superhub - that was actually sent to us, yes it was sent to us before the engineer came to install it this left the engineer confused why they did this in the 1st place because he brought one in with him...well that hub didn't even work it booted up then just died on its 1st boot.

2nd superhub - I had problems with remote assistance in windows live messenger, everytime I accepted, the superhub would just reboot I also had the same issue with the VMDG280 so it's not just a problem with the superhub but virgin have no clue on why it's rebooting when using remote assistance.

3rd superhub - blocked my access to cpanel only 1 address though I had access to 4 other servers. I could access it via a proxy but the proxy wasn't a fix to the issue.

4th superhub - Issue fixed from superhub 3 but the same issue I had with going superhub 2 is back, so once again they are sending me another superhub.

These are the only issues I have had with the superhub so if these 2 issues can be fixed I think the superhub would be a fantastic piece of hardware.

Waiting on my 5th superhub hopefully this will be a good one fixing both my issues at the same time.

kwikbreaks
07-06-2011, 17:08
So in summary you've had four Superhubs none of which worked properly and are currently waiting for a fifth to arrive yet you have concluded that it may well be an excellent piece of hardware???

I think I need to go and lie down for a while as my ribs are aching.

lojelo5
07-06-2011, 17:47
So you think 2 issues that both can be bypassed and can probably be fixed is the cause of your aching ribs get a grip.

The main thing is the superhub works others moan about it when clearly theres only a few major problems just like any other hardware. The 2 problems I have had aren't that major. The remote asssistance issue is the main culprit that I cant live with because I don't expect other people to pay for 3rd party software when it can be done for free via wlm.

You go take care of your ribs.

kwikbreaks
07-06-2011, 18:01
Your "minor issues" have cost VM a pretty penny and no doubt inconvenienced you too.

If the superhub routing section worked as well as most cheap and cheerful cable routers do then your first superhub would still be in your premises rather than in a pile of toxic waste in some third world country so the WEEE directive can be met.

lojelo5
07-06-2011, 18:21
Like I said the issues can be sorted and easily now if virgin cant be bothered fixing the issue then it's their fault and their money being wasted not mine. If they can be even bothered looking into it then I am sure those 2 smaller issues can be fixed. The inconvenience is minor and can be lived with, with most people.

This still doesn't class the superhub as toxic waste.

I still have 2 of the hubs here the 1st 2 hubs are the only hubs they could be bothered to pick up and I am sure those 2 hubs have been re-used. I will have 3 hubs here when the 5th arrives and all 3 will work but not to my full potential but maybe it will for others needs.

All you seem to do is blabber on how bad it is, if it's that bad why are you on the 50mb package why not just simply go back to the 20mb package till your happy that virgin can satisfy your needs.

kwikbreaks
07-06-2011, 19:13
I actually don't have a major problem with the hub myself other than WiFi which is very poor and requires reboots to fix. You are the one posting that you've had four hubs and none worked not me. I'm only on my third and the two duff ones were rejected by the installers.

I don't think VM re-issue returned presumed faulty hubs but could be wrong. Someone here said they'd been told they go to landfill but that can't be correct as it would break the good old WEEE directive which leads to UK companies shipping their returns to the third world for supposed recycling.

Sephiroth
07-06-2011, 20:37
As an observer, the issues reported in the forums that give me most cobcerb are those concerning involuntary resets or nothing working till the wretched device is rebooted.

This emerges through all the haze, smoke and mirrors as the major reliability flaw. I understand that this doesn't happen in Bridge Mode (firmware testers).

In other words I would have initial trust in the SH because I would only use it in Bridge Mode. But as a router combo, it's got no credibility until these specific stability reports go away.

Stuart
07-06-2011, 22:34
Bit of a problem doing that if you have 3000 PCs on your network and you need authentication and secure segmented file usage and appropriate corporate systems controls....;)

They do, however, work with Exchange servers more reliably than anything I have tried from Microsoft (both Windows and OSX based).

Anyway, being pedantic, it's Mac, not MAC.. MAC is Media Access Control.

Regarding the Superhub, guys, if you are having problems, please report them to VM. While I am not trying to stop you complaining here, bear in mind this is not an official forum, so almost certainly won't be counted if and when VM try and find out how many are complaining. If you contact VM directly, it's more likely to be counted.

KenK
07-06-2011, 22:57
Though we have some major problems with the superhub I personally think it can be a decent bit of hardware once all the issues have been sorted.
<snip>
Waiting on my 5th superhub hopefully this will be a good one fixing both my issues at the same time.
Really? you're waiting on your 5th, having had major problems with the other 4. What makes you think no. 5 will be any better than the rest?

"once all the issues have been sorted" is no way to do business / supply a service / keep happy customers / make a profit. VM apparently decided that "superhub" would be the only piece of connection hardware that they would supply (for >30Mb/s), and 6 months later it still doesn't work well enough. You've proved that it doesn't work well enough.

I only hope that the penalty clauses that VM wrote into the contract with the supplier mean that the supplier is paying for this disaster, not the customers. :rolleyes:

Nopanic
07-06-2011, 23:17
Really? you're waiting on your 5th, having had major problems with the other 4. What makes you think no. 5 will be any better than the rest?

"once all the issues have been sorted" is no way to do business / supply a service / keep happy customers / make a profit. VM apparently decided that "superhub" would be the only piece of connection hardware that they would supply (for >30Mb/s), and 6 months later it still doesn't work well enough. You've proved that it doesn't work well enough.

I only hope that the penalty clauses that VM wrote into the contract with the supplier mean that the supplier is paying for this disaster, not the customers. :rolleyes:

A faulty piece of hardware will be returned to the vendor and replaced as with any hardware.

jb66
07-06-2011, 23:30
And then wrapped in bubble wrap and sent back out as 'no fault found'

KenK
07-06-2011, 23:38
A faulty piece of hardware will be returned to the vendor and replaced as with any hardware.I expect you mean all 4 pieces of faulty hardware, in lojelo5's experience.

Unfortunately, I think "superhub" is more a case of faulty specification, faulty firmware, faulty testing, and above all a faulty business decision. And to think they got people to pay £30 to have it installed.

lojelo5
08-06-2011, 00:20
A faulty piece of hardware will be returned to the vendor and replaced as with any hardware.

Exactly

I expect you mean all 4 pieces of faulty hardware, in lojelo5's experience.

Look at it this way

They take the rest of the hubs off me, repackage them then send one to you...but seeing as you don't need it to access cpanel (but don't forget it only blocked me from accessing 1 of my cpanels, I could still access it via a proxy) you don't use remote assistance in windows live messenger....the superhub to you would be working to your full potential.

Yes there is a simple fault here which can be rectified but I doubt they will look into it until a bigger percentage of superhub users start seeing these same issues.

Every piece of hardware has some kind of fault in it hence firmware updates these fix these small issues.

Hugh
08-06-2011, 00:47
the ambit 256 doesnt have built in wireless :DWhich is why I had two wireless routers attached to it ( as I stated...).:confused:

craigj2k12
08-06-2011, 00:51
Which is why I had two wireless routers attached to it ( as I stated...).:confused:

i know i was just stating the fact :D

Hugh
08-06-2011, 00:51
you live in a mansion?No, just a reasonably sized four bedroom detached house with a couple of reception rooms, with one wifi set in one corner in the lounge downstairs, and another diagonally opposite in the office upstairs, to ensure maximum coverage in the house and in the gardens.

kwikbreaks
08-06-2011, 08:46
.... don't forget it only blocked me from accessing 1 of my cpanels, I could still access it via a proxy
Which sounds a lot more like the recent VM routing issue than any hardware problem. The fact they replaced this hub sounds to me like even VM have zero faith in them.

---------- Post added at 07:46 ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 ----------

Cheap consumer electronics is rarely worth checking and repairing so I'm still guessing it will be scrapped. Even if it isn't the handling, testing, and repacking even if only in a plain box or bubble wrap will still cost money. The cost of those returns will be reflected in the price VM pay for the hubs (so maybe £5.50 instead of £5). Netgear aren't in business to subsidise their customers.

jb66
08-06-2011, 09:22
I can confirm I ve had loads of refurbished superhubs, but never a refurbished regular hub.....

kwikbreaks
08-06-2011, 11:23
So they do refurb them then - I'm surprised. It may go some way towards explaining why so many are duff.

The first two the installers tried when I had my upgrade didn't work and they had to get their manager to bring a third one along. This was early days of the superhub though so I doubt they would be refurbs just poor quality new ones.

Mick Fisher
08-06-2011, 12:02
Refurb = The lights came on when we plugged it in so we repacked it and sent it out again. ;)

craigj2k12
08-06-2011, 13:31
I can confirm I ve had loads of refurbished superhubs, but never a refurbished regular hub.....

wonder why

Nopanic
08-06-2011, 20:35
And then wrapped in bubble wrap and sent back out as 'no fault found'

:erm:

refurbished doesn't mean faulty, people leave the service everyday .. Modems are checked, cleaned and send back out.

Faulty modem aren't, that's assuming the techs are doing their job :p:

kwikbreaks
08-06-2011, 20:51
:erm:
refurbished doesn't mean faulty, people leave the service everyday .. Ah - that might explain why most of the refurbs are superhubs :)

Nopanic
08-06-2011, 22:12
Ah - that might explain why most of the refurbs are superhubs :)

Most of the new modems are and have been Superhubs for a while now ..

KenK
08-06-2011, 22:44
refurbished doesn't mean faulty, people leave the service everyday .. Modems are checked,:confused: cleaned and send back out.

Faulty modem aren't, that's assuming the techs are doing their job :p::erm::rofl::D

Tom255
10-06-2011, 20:37
Quick update on my situation:
After several phonecalls to VM im now getting a senior tech out on monday to REPLACE MY SUPERHUB WITH A VMG300 MODEM due to other people in my area (E11 walthamstow ubr) having speed issues with the superhub. He was vague on the details but apparently the superhub cant support 50mbit speeds in my area (i dont know why), so its back to modem + router which is what i wanted all along.

jonop360
10-06-2011, 21:17
got a tech coming tomoro for my super hub months of having to reboot and it rebooting its self, last night @ 8.45 pm we lost all internet till 5pm today. it just came on its self about 6 hrs after a 1 hour phone call to cs

zekeisaszekedoes
12-06-2011, 18:02
VM really opened up a can of worms with this thing, and then proceeded to dig in deeper with the spoon to reach the maggots at the bottom.

What I mean is the device was poor to begin with and the way they've handled the percentage of those having severe problems has made things worse in a lot of cases. Sending out multiple superhubs is not a solution, and really after one replacement (two total) alarm bells should be ringing. People shouldn't be getting onto fourth, fifth and sixth, especially when it's not helping.

Delays of official bridge mode rollout are just allowing things to get worse and the amount of negative feedback to grow. Honestly, as goes the superhub it's hard to imagine a way in which Virgin Media could have effed up more, which is really saying something considering the VMNG300 and VMDG280 before it had to have a bunch of firmware updates before they were stable. As goes resistance to learning lessons, well, VM certainly are the cake takers. :D

Having said all that, contacting the CEO's office and getting a VMNG300 for upgrade to 30Mb negated all my issues in days, so at least parts of the company are doing it right. Shame there's such a limited stock remaining really, but when bridge mode turns the superhub into a glorified modem that'll do as a stopgap for most people having issues while they work on the next CPE.

jonop360
12-06-2011, 19:01
the tech came yesterday and told me my problem like everyone else arround me was the network and was not going to swap the superhub over.
after almost falling out with him he swapped it,
now my bandwith on black ops is 10.000
instead of 2.000 and my iphone4 actually stays connected at about 6.000
its a hundred times better in every way .
the problem is i was the 5th person in my area that day on his rounds how many of them got fobbed off?

Tom255
13-06-2011, 19:01
I was getting 5 - 15mbit with the superhub, now im using a VMNG300.....

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/06/97.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Im a happy bunny :) Its just a shame it took this long for them to let me use the modem, could of saved themselves a bunch of dosh on useless engineer callouts.

zekeisaszekedoes
15-06-2011, 13:50
Im a happy bunny :) Its just a shame it took this long for them to let me use the modem, could of saved themselves a bunch of dosh on useless engineer callouts.

Exactly my point... the superhub is a false economy at this juncture. Money wasted on replacing suspect units and/or having engineer callouts a handful of times.

KenK
15-06-2011, 23:19
Exactly my point... the superhub is a false economy at this juncture. Money wasted on replacing suspect units and/or having engineer callouts a handful of times.Totally agree, a faulty business decision. And guess who'll end up paying for it (hint: it won't be the people who made that decision.)

qasdfdsaq
16-06-2011, 01:58
Totally agree, a faulty business
QFT.

fixerman
17-06-2011, 08:28
Since I started this thread I changed the channel setting back to automatic and since then I have not had to do a single reboot.:)

I am not expert at modems but I pass this on for what it's worth.

Maggy
17-06-2011, 10:00
Pleased to see you have a good result. :)