PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Super Hub as access point?

MarkProvanP
28-05-2011, 22:23
We're wiring our Victorian semi with Cat5e/6 this summer, and we're going to repurpose our current router (DD-WRT on WRT320N) and my computer's wireless bridge (DD-WRT on WRT160N) as access points, along with getting some new DD-WRT routers for that purpose too. I got a VMNG300 from the CEO's office, which was generally a lovely experience, and it's worked perfectly since installed. However, we only have a single router capable of 5GHz a/n - the WRT320 - and not simultaneous 2.4/5GHz at that. Would we be able to repurpose the Super Hub as a 5GHz access point?

NB: There will be a pfSense firewall/router + 2 smart switch combo at the centre of all this.

General Maximus
29-05-2011, 16:55
yup, but afaik the hub isnt dual band. Tbh dude, if you are that passionate about your network and you have got the dosh to buy a few more routers you had might as well get something you know is going to be reliable and that works and just leave the hub doing it's most basic operation; modem.

AndyCalling
29-05-2011, 22:22
Or it's other most basic operation, access point. This is already possible if you have an unused Superhub and will give you dual band because, of course, adding an access point gives you two radios to play with.

Problem is, my spare Superhub has R19 software on it and it doesn't appear to be upgradable by simply connecting to the line, the spare Superhub would have to be activated. This is a problem because R19 firmware seems to cause WIFI connection drops and requires a reboot to restore.

If you have later firmware in your spare Superhub, then go for it.

General Maximus
29-05-2011, 23:12
This is a problem because R19 firmware seems to cause WIFI connection drops and requires a reboot to restore

which is why i suggested not to bother with it full stop. Why run the risk and inconvenience of using something that may or may not work when you can buy something you know is going to work and provide solid performance and reliability? If somebody gives you a new modem/router with wi-fi, you would expect it to work :doh:

MarkProvanP
30-05-2011, 14:20
The Super Hub has R26 on it. I haven't tried reconnecting it, but it's just sitting there.

I know it would be better to get a new router/AP specifically for the purpose, but 5GHz-capable routers aren't that cheap, unlike 2.4GHz ones.