PDA

View Full Version : Broadband dropping out same 4 times in the last week

DJ Dave
25-05-2011, 16:07
Hello,

After I have just had my router swapped by VM I was happy as the connection was fine, spoke to soon, since last Monday my Broadband has gone off over 4 days not in a row but around the same time about 2pm-4pm.

I know it's not the router this time as it says Local Area Network only on both my computers, So I have been on the phone to VM 3 times so far and gothere is what happens

Monday 16th I rang up and got an "Overseas" memeber of staff who went through the checks etc and said I need an a techy and she would send one out the next morning, So I said ok fair enough he can have a check on everything. I then get a text message saying that the fault had been fixed and the techy was not coming now.

Tuesday around the same time it goes off again and I ring up this time I get someone in the UK and I'm told it was an area fault in the CH42 and it would not be fixed until 11pm that night, anyway it came back on before that.

Thursday it went off again same time and I thought forget it just wait till it comes back on.

Today it has gone off again and I rang up and once again an overseas lady spoke to me and did some tests and while I was on the phone about 3.50pm it came back on again and I told her it had happened 4 times now in the past week at the same time. The lady told me she thought it might be my modem and would send one out in the post that way I would have had the modem and router swapped and it might fix it.

I doubt this will fix the fault and it just seems we are going round and round.

Any advice guys?

Thanks

General Maximus
25-05-2011, 17:54
It is either an area fault or it is the modem which is playing up. Just because you can see your lan doesnt mean that the modem isnt faulty. It can be rubbish and not connect to the internet and still maintain your lan connectivity. I you have got the pooper hub i would ring them up and tell you want it changed. If you havent got the pooperhub, i would ring tech support again (or customer services in the UK and ask to speak to an english tech person) and tell them what the problem. If it is an area fault it might take them a couple of days to work out what is causing the problem and escalate it.

I had exactly the same problem as you last year which was due to noise on the network. I rang india and monday and spoke to some muppets who told me nothing was wrong. I then rang back and spoke to an english person who said my modem was faulty and I needed a new one and she booked an engineer. The engineer came round on the Wednesday and said straight away that it wasnt a modem fault as all the calls logged for him for that day were the same problem so it was an area fault, he made a phone calls and said it would be fixed and in the end, it took them till Thursday afternoon for them to sort it out.

DJ Dave
25-05-2011, 17:55
Got the old blue ntl modem at the moe and a new d-link router from vm

General Maximus
25-05-2011, 17:56
ah bless, the poor thing might be on it's way out. Have you had a look at your power levels?

DJ Dave
25-05-2011, 20:55
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.3 dBmV
Upstream transmit Power Level : 50.2 dBmV

General Maximus
25-05-2011, 22:14
you power levels are pretty much perfect which means it is either an area fault or you have got a dicky modem. The fact that they have already admitted there is/was an area fault makes me think they are still having a problem. See what this says:

https://my.virginmedia.com/service-status/details

Failing that, ring tech support again and tell them you want an engineer to come out and then at least you'll have an english person to talk to. You can explain the problem to him and he can look into the area fault and make sure it has been fully resolved.

DJ Dave
25-05-2011, 23:55
ok ta, I will see if this new modem fix's the fault, will it be a modem or a hub do you think?

General Maximus
26-05-2011, 08:43
hub unfortunately, but while the engineer is there ask him if they have defo fixed the area fault because I think it is too much of a coincidence that you are still having problems. You dont want the pooperhub if you can get away with it.