PDA

View Full Version : 50M Download limit or not?

Welshchris
23-05-2011, 22:09
This may sound like a weird and daft question.

Virgin market their products as unlimited and yes you can argue the fact it throttled and they dont like downloading between 9am and 9pm...

What i was wondering just out of interest is there a limit that you could down download to outside of the hours of 9-9 where Virgin could get uptight say 1TB a month or whatever.

Max i have ever downloaded in 1 month was 463GB and that was when one of my drives decided to pack in and i had to redownload a lot of stuff i had backed up online.

AaronCooper
23-05-2011, 22:22
They have a limit but there is no actual figure. It's classed as excessive usage and you will get a letter about it but for the most part, you will only get the letter if your constantly soaking all the bandwidth, ie torret seeding, etc.

General Maximus
23-05-2011, 22:52
but the reason why it is an undefinied limit is because it isnt a set amount of data which is the problem, it is your % utilisation of the throughput in your area. This is why people in congested areas are getting letters for downloading sweet fa, yet people in other areas can download tonnes and not hear a peep. Either way, the advice always given in the letters is a cautionary warning requesting that you shift your download patterns to 2100 - 0900. If anyone ever got a letter saying they were having a detrimental impact on other cusomters during those hours I would be seriously worried about the state of VMs network :)

Welshchris
23-05-2011, 22:54
They have a limit but there is no actual figure. It's classed as excessive usage and you will get a letter about it but for the most part, you will only get the letter if your constantly soaking all the bandwidth, ie torret seeding, etc.

that is just for excessive use during the hours of 9-9

AaronCooper
23-05-2011, 22:56
that is just for excessive use during the hours of 9-9

You sure theres a time phrase for the AUP limit? I'm not refering to their traffic management.

Welshchris
23-05-2011, 23:04
Yes when u get a letter for excessive usage it states clearly to limit heavy downloading outside the hours of 9am - 9pm

AaronCooper
23-05-2011, 23:08
Ah ok, well as maximus said it's % based, so during off-peak hours i don't think you would interfear with anyone else online so you should be safe enough. Probably best to email virgin to make sure though if your planning some hardcoring d/l sessions.

Chrysalis
23-05-2011, 23:47
but the reason why it is an undefinied limit is because it isnt a set amount of data which is the problem, it is your % utilisation of the throughput in your area. This is why people in congested areas are getting letters for downloading sweet fa, yet people in other areas can download tonnes and not hear a peep. Either way, the advice always given in the letters is a cautionary warning requesting that you shift your download patterns to 2100 - 0900. If anyone ever got a letter saying they were having a detrimental impact on other cusomters during those hours I would be seriously worried about the state of VMs network :)

get worried, the bulk of VM graphs I see have peak/congestion carrying on till well past midnight, usually to 1 to 2am, so 9pm is far too early to consider peak end time. In some cases it takes so long for traffic to go down that 8am is lower utilisation than 4am as at 4am its still going down from the previous night.

Welshchris
24-05-2011, 00:37
get worried, the bulk of VM graphs I see have peak/congestion carrying on till well past midnight, usually to 1 to 2am, so 9pm is far too early to consider peak end time. In some cases it takes so long for traffic to go down that 8am is lower utilisation than 4am as at 4am its still going down from the previous night.

the fact of the matter is they have issued it in writing that peak time is 9-9 they cannot simply change this peak time without first informing customers.

Chrysalis
24-05-2011, 00:48
I know they wont.

techguyone
24-05-2011, 10:33
Max i have ever downloaded in 1 month was 463GB and that was when one of my drives decided to pack in and i had to redownload a lot of stuff i had backed up online.

wow, I have logs going back to Jan 08 and I've d/loaded 621.4GB since then in total.

I feel like a bit of a lightweight LOL

AbyssUnderground
24-05-2011, 12:10
Did 850GB in one month myself once. Not a peep from VM. This was on 10Mbps.

Chrysalis
24-05-2011, 13:16
according to dumeter (and this is just this pc, sometimes I download to others). Since 24 june 2010. This also includes lan traffic unfortenatly which I have done some significant amounts.

1.6TB downloaded
506 gig uploaded. (most of this defenitly lan).

Welshchris
24-05-2011, 20:03
wow, I have logs going back to Jan 08 and I've d/loaded 621.4GB since then in total.

I feel like a bit of a lightweight LOL

most of what i download are pics and Vids which friends\family record who live and are backpacking around Australia.

The Videos are HQ so so can sometimes be 2-3GB each.

Ignitionnet
24-05-2011, 22:37
One hell of a backpacking excursion given it's been rolling since last year - I am jealous of them.

To answer the original point there is no limit, at all, outside of the 9am - 9pm period and any change to this will require amendment to VM's policies.

Welshchris
25-05-2011, 01:08
Ignitionnet..

They are out there for 12 months + one of them is staying out there hence what i mentioned either on here or on the Virgin groups about a marriage taking place. She met her husband who is an Aussie.

kwikbreaks
25-05-2011, 07:50
... this is just this pc
...also includes lan traffic
Take a look at http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

Multiple machine support and ability to ignore LAN traffic.

Of course the best option for users of the SuperHub and its hopefully not long delayed successor would be proper router based bandwidth usage recording along the lines of that produced by the DD-WRT derivative Tomato which I used to use pre-SuperHub and which I may revert to once proper bridge mode is avaialble and under user control.

Chrysalis
28-05-2011, 12:41
yep tried this now on my spare rig, interesting, I clicked exclude local traffic and wow thats it, very simple.

Ideally I would like to graph lan and non lan traffic tho and maybe just have the non lan traffic tally.

nevertherless this app seems better than dumeter with the added bonus its free.