PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub Firmwares? Are they going anywhere?

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 20:30
Okay, so I was thinking, iv been giving the superhub a hard time lately, so I thought I would try and make up for it... a bit

I dont think the public ever got a version 19 or earlier of the firmware? when i got mine it was 20, and the only issues with this firmware were its reboots and the packet loss on pingtest.net
The packet loss wasn't a fault, it was actually just detecting the flood of 250 packets coming in at once as an IP flood, so it was working correctly. I think the firewall was causing some issues with games, but if you turned that off it was fine.

Then 24 came along, sorted the "issue" with pingtest.net, but caused issues with SIP phones and something else

25 fixed SIP phones, but caused slow browsing with firewall on

now 26 causes streaming issues

these are off the top of my head, so do correct me if im wrong. Where we (well, not me) but was everyone better off with the original firmware? the one that had a bug which was actually just the feature working as it should

Chrysalis
18-05-2011, 21:42
ultimately I think R26 is worse than R20 was so yeah they gone backwards.

R26 still has some streaming reports coming from beta testers eg.

R25 is the one that caused the major streaming issues, R26 just has it mostly but not fully fixed.

All of them R20-26 have the inherent lan and port forwarding problems.

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 21:47
All of them R20-26 have the inherent lan and port forwarding problems.

any they havnt addressed those in any of the updates, but apart from those, they are making problems, the superhub used to be (sort of) okay

kwikbreaks
18-05-2011, 22:09
R20 had the non-fault pingtest.net issue

R24 "fixed" the pingtest.net issue by (I suspect) simply ignoring the floodtest on setting. It may or may not have introduced extra issues but by now everything was getting blamed on the superhub because many thought the packet loss issue was a real problem and had lost faith in it.

R25 was rushed out half-arsed because some idiot started posting about SSH usage on the VM forum and they panicked - presumably because they thought people would be able to hack around the configs or something similar. It wasn't even the R25 that was out with the testers because a bug with wifi channels had been fixed in the general release version. My betting is that it contained lots of completely untested code because it naffed up lots of things.

R26 fixed at least some of the bugs they'd introduced with R25.

R27 is (imo) still vapourware - the supposed sall scale pretest is simply stalling for time because they are so far behind schedule.

I haven't been taking notes and didn't check back so there may be some inaccuracies in my account too.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 22:12
R20 in detecting an IP flood from pingtest was performing exactly as it should. That is the way ping test works. It sends a flood of packets to test the responce. The problem was it also for some reason detected LAN side floods as well.

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 22:14
doesnt look like anyone will see r27 for a couple of weeks, dont know where the information is from but:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-100Mb-broadband/Bridge-mode-update/td-p/502313

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

R20 in detecting an IP flood from pingtest was performing exactly as it should. That is the way ping test works. It sends a flood of packets to test the responce. The problem was it also for some reason detected LAN side floods as well.

it is a LAN option isnt it

Chrysalis
18-05-2011, 22:14
I agree on the R25, remember the bug I posted kwikbreaks on the log page? with corrupted email address. That bug dissapeared on the release version of R25.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 22:16
doesnt look like anyone will see r27 for a couple of weeks, dont know where the information is from but:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-100Mb-broadband/Bridge-mode-update/td-p/502313

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

it is a LAN option isnt it

NO IP flood should (and did) only detect WAN side flood. Somehow it also detected LAN side.(no good if you are doing large network transfers)

Put simply if you have your own internal network and you wanted to transfer large amounts of data the ACKs alone would be detected as a LAN flood.

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 22:16
NO IP flood should (and did) only detect WAN side flood. Somehow it also detected LAN side.(no good if you are doing large network transfers)

im pretty sure its under LAN options

Chrysalis
18-05-2011, 22:17

It picked up a transmission from my pc to a NTP server as a flood O_o.

This I noticed when I was posting a screenshot of the log bug issue and the log entry is in that screenshot.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 22:20
im pretty sure its under LAN options

Check my edited post.

jb66
18-05-2011, 22:21
Utorrent would trigger an ip flood error too on r20

kwikbreaks
18-05-2011, 22:37
I'd forgotten that one but I'm sure you're right.

What it all does show is that their quality control and probably their version control is completely shot. I strongly suspect that they'd be unable to revert to the source for R20 if they wanted to.

I've worked in IT since the early 70's and I've seen plenty of screwups and shoddy practices but this lot really do take the biscuit.

Funny thing is that my own superhub doesn't behave badly at all. I put that down to not using the wireless much at all and running most of my kit with static IPs outside of the hub DHCP - in short I'm not asking it to do much at all other than basic NAT on ethernet.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-100Mb-broadband/Bridge-mode-update/td-p/502313I'd guess that the poster plucked that right out of his nether regions.

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 22:38
I'd guess that the poster plucked that right out of his nether regions.

probably, but maybe he has inside information? i doubt it

pip08456
18-05-2011, 22:40
probably, but maybe he has inside information? i doubt it

The beta test does seem to have been delayed though, don't you agree?

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 22:41
The beta test does seem to have been delayed though, don't you agree?

they have probably broken something else

Phil-ntl
19-05-2011, 19:01
more info here.......

Click Me (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35240681-post346.html)

vmfriend
19-05-2011, 19:03
Wrong thread :-/

Phil-ntl
19-05-2011, 19:04
Wrong thread :-/

?????

vmfriend
19-05-2011, 19:10
This is a thread asking if the firmwares are going anywhere, I see you posted in the beta firmware thread which is the most appropriate IMO.

Phil-ntl
19-05-2011, 19:13
This is a thread asking if the firmwares are going anywhere, I see you posted in the beta firmware thread which is the most appropriate IMO.

and linked to it in this thread as it is also discussing firmware and an earlier post was made discussing the lack of R27 so, entirely relevant imho ;)

Phil

vmfriend
19-05-2011, 19:17
Fair enough.