PDA

View Full Version : IPv6 Day 8 June 2011

Tali
18-05-2011, 12:55
Just seen this and was wondering whether VM were going to take part.

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/05/10/wtf_is_ipv6/

Does the current equipment allow for it? World of Warcraft is ready to use IPv6, given the relatively large subscriber base, how much influence will that hold?

telfordcable
18-05-2011, 13:31
superhub already support IPv6 but not sure about VMNG300 if it will support it or not ?

Ignitionnet
18-05-2011, 14:29
Does the current equipment allow for it? World of Warcraft is ready to use IPv6, given the relatively large subscriber base, how much influence will that hold?

Respectively no and precisely none as World of Warcraft is also perfectly ready to use IPv4. If it were moving to IPv6 only that would be a different story.

Toto
18-05-2011, 14:36
I'd imagine that IPv6 will be in use by VM business, releasing large pools of IPv4 addresses back into the residential pool until all its residential modems/routers can handle IPv6.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 14:44
No matter. IPv4 is not going to disappear overnight, companies will be using IPv4 alongside IPv6 for quite a few years yet.

Absolutely nothing to panic about.

zekeisaszekedoes
18-05-2011, 17:43
Yeah I knew about this. I do transitional IPv6 via Teredo or 6to4 depending on the router. Really we should be looking at native support before the end of 2012. I'd hope VM are smart enough to already be working on a rollout for it, seeing as by then even that fat monkey from another thread would have been able to debug the superhub firmware and get IPv6 rolling.

Tali
19-05-2011, 09:13
Absolutely nothing to panic about.

No panic. Was just interested as to whether VM would take the opportunity. Like has already been said, total IP6 role out is some way off yet.

MarkProvanP
19-05-2011, 21:44
The VMNG300 supports IPv6 - at least in hardware - since it's in the DOCSIS 3.0 spec.

Chrysalis
20-05-2011, 05:19
ipv6 (at least a ipv6 tunnel) slows down both browsing and dns lookups. I just been diagnosing why my net felt slow and as soon as I disconnected freenet6 it went back up again in response times. It was particurly noticeable on google. If anyone here uses freenet6 I suggest you have it disabled at startup and only enable it when you doing testing etc.

zekeisaszekedoes
20-05-2011, 11:52
With teredo enabled (ipv6.google.com is my home page and Firefox 4 also sends all address bar keyword searches to it) my internet performance is still really good. Just got to make sure only ethernet or wireless is enabled, if a device has both, due to some problems Windows 7 still has with both to choose from available.

I did have a go at setting up a Hurricane Electric tunnel briefly, but the scant instructions on the site precluded any kind of proper troubleshooting. Which is a shame, as I wanted to get all the PCs in the house IPv6 capable because I have a feeling native IPv6 via ISP (in this case VM) is a long way off.

Chrysalis
20-05-2011, 12:12
teredo is the microsoft tunnel service right?

when I used that only direct connections to ipv6 worked but no domains so eg. couldnt browse ipv6 sites or access ipv6 mail servers. I asked a guy who host s aipv6 test site and his feedback was the microsoft service does that as he gets it from other testers. But if yours works fully then it has me curious again.

zekeisaszekedoes
21-05-2011, 12:09
Odd. Requires a little bit of buggering around (http://yorickdowne.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/ipv6-at-home-part-1-overview-teredo/) to get it rolling (for me it'll work on wired/wireless as long as only one is enabled) otherwise you end up with cases where DNS lookups work but you can't browse the site.

The problem I have is that even if you change the prefix list to get Windows 7 to prefer IPv6 native, then 6to4, then Teredo, then everything IPv4 below in priority it'll still prefer IPv4 if both are available. With Firefox's ShowIP addon it might indicate the IPv6 address even if you're using IPv4. But still, some kind of access to IPv6-only is nice, and this test (http://test-ipv6.com/) is smart enough to detect the tunnel where other sites fail.

Chrysalis
21-05-2011, 12:11
yeah I found a info page on it, seems with a few commands it works for resolution.

I think I am going to go the teredo route as the problem with freenet6 is it always tries ipv6 first and adds delays.

the author of that test site is the one who told me about teredo not handing dns resolution.

zekeisaszekedoes
21-05-2011, 12:43
Teredo is alright because it's built-in and precludes the hassle of a dedicated tunnel broker. You need a simple batch script though as when you change the wireless connection or anything similar (i.e. remove/reattach ethernet cable) then you need to delete and re-add the route to get the tunnel going again. I have one running in the Startup folder and one hotkeyed to Ctrl-Shift-I, makes things easier. Press that and voila, portable IPv6 tunnel.

Welshchris
21-05-2011, 19:41
I'd imagine that IPv6 will be in use by VM business, releasing large pools of IPv4 addresses back into the residential pool until all its residential modems/routers can handle IPv6.

Business uses the same IP pools as residential.