PDA

View Full Version : VM Router Help Needed with Virgin/Netgear Wireless N Cable Router/Modem

MANUNITED
14-05-2011, 15:46
Hi all, please can somebody help me, I got virgin back in february and got the Netgear VMDG280 Wireless N Cable Gateway Router/Modem with it,and I have to go and stay with my parents house for 2 months who have sky broadband, will the router work with sky as there router is broken or will it only work with my virgin account at my house ?

Many Regards

jb66
14-05-2011, 16:01
Only works with virgin, you need an Adsl router from sky, call them up might be under warranty, if not threaten to leave and you'll get one

MANUNITED
14-05-2011, 16:14
Thanks jb66 will it work in any house that has virgin or will it only work with my virgin connection at home, just spoke to my parents and its virgin not sky there on but there router's wireless wont work properly and they connect via ethernet but I want to do it wirelessly so can I take my router with me and just use that ? they contacted virgin for a replacement but as my parents damaged it they want £30 for a replacement.

jb66
14-05-2011, 23:25
The all in one won't work as it's not registered to them, search for a dlink dir-615 on eBay. Less than a tenner delivered and vm support it

pip08456
14-05-2011, 23:31
Thanks jb66 will it work in any house that has virgin or will it only work with my virgin connection at home, just spoke to my parents and its virgin not sky there on but there router's wireless wont work properly and they connect via ethernet but I want to do it wirelessly so can I take my router with me and just use that ? they contacted virgin for a replacement but as my parents damaged it they want £30 for a replacement.

If you want a D-Link DIR 615 as jb66 has suggested, PM me and I'll send you one on Monday for a fiver. It'll have DDWRT on it as well!

guts118
12-09-2011, 15:51
Hello,

I have just had virgin broadband installed which came with a netgear router. I am very interested in the D-Link DIR 615, but I have a couple of questions.

Is it worth replacing the netgear router? I assume that the main advantage of the D-Link is custom firmware.

Why are the D-Link routers so cheap on ebay??

Do I need to register a new router with virgin media? Or will it just work straight away?

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers

AndyCalling
12-09-2011, 18:13
A new router need not be registered. A new router/modem (ie. the hub and the superhub) will need to be registered to act as a modem.

However...

As a temp solution, your hub or superhub can be used as a wireless access point attached to your parents' hub/superhub so that your kit only provides wireless access through to their kit that actually covers the routing and the modem side of things. Search this forum and the internet for info on how to set up a wireless access point. It's not that hard and is worth learning anyway. You never know when it will come in handy (such as running both a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz setup at once like me).