PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Wireless problem when connecting to online games

Vector
14-05-2011, 13:12
Hi, need to pick your brains guys.

I didn't think I'd have such a problem being on 50MB and with the laptop connected wirelessly to the SHub only being one thin wall away.

Every time I connect to an online game, if anyone's using the laptop, it's unable to buffer videos or load web pages. It's still enabled, but it's as though the connection is being choked, but surely an old game such as CoD 1 can't be the culprit? I always make sure anything that could be sponging the upload bandwidth like p2p or Spotify is closed before going on a game, just to rule that out.

I never had this problem when I was with BE, and that router was at a further distance, which leaves me to believe either I haven't applied the correct settings, or the Superhub totally contradicts it's title, and from what I've been reading on this forum, probably the latter.

I've disabled any services in advanced settings that may be causing it, firewall etc, changed 802.11 mode from 300 to 145 (read somewhere on here it may prevent "wireless disconnects/reconnects under heavy loads") and selected Channel 11 instead of Auto.

Have I missed something or is this what people are having to put up with?

Here are the Connection stats;

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 314750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 64 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz 4.0 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 62 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz 4.4 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 63 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz 4.1 dBmV 42.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 65 55616000 Kbits/sec 322750000 Hz 3.4 dBmV 41.6 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 5 20480 Kbits/sec 45800000 Hz 46.2 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 28296
Max Traffic Rate 53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 28295
Max Traffic Rate 1750000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 0 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

^A bit sloppy but I hope someone can read that, does everything check out ok?

Thanks,
Vec.

Mick Fisher
14-05-2011, 14:37
On 50meg maybe the wireless can't keep up when it's on 145, just a thought, 145 works for me but I am on 30meg.

Install InSSider so you can see what your local wireles situation is regarding channel use and them make your choice accordingly.

Yeah the wireless on the superhub is notoriously weak so maybe you will have to put up with it?

Gaming on wireless is not recommended even with the best kit. :(

Agreed about Be. I don't think I ever changed settings on the router as it just worked as it should, out of the box.

Vector
14-05-2011, 15:32
On 50meg maybe the wireless can't keep up when it's on 145, just a thought, 145 works for me but I am on 30meg.
Well, I've tried both 300 and 145, to no avail.

Install InSSider so you can see what your local wireles situation is regarding channel use and them make your choice accordingly.

Installed and it shows only 2 others, both Channel 1.

Gaming on wireless is not recommended even with the best kit.

I'm not gaming wirelessly, I connect directly to the hub via ethernet, but the laptop connecting wirelessly suffers when I game.

Agreed about Be. I don't think I ever changed settings on the router as it just worked as it should, out of the box.

Best ISP I've ever had the pleasure of being with, I got the full 24MB and 2.5MB up, 3db profile with FastPath.. gamers delight. Ahhh I do miss BE. :kiss:

Yeah the wireless on the superhub is notoriously weak so maybe you will have to put up with it?

Shame on Virgin Media.

In all honesty, I knew something was going to botch up sooner or later. The last time I was with VM, I promised myself it would be just that. That was a while ago though and with their 8MB ADSL service, I thought I'd give em' another chance to redeem themselves, after all, with it being fibre and paying £35 a month, you'd expect it to be a breath of fresh air compared to any ADSL /2+ service.

Damn I really dislike this company, I was with BE for so long, I guess I got comfy with quality. If the BT exchange wasn't so far away from the home I just moved to, they'd be my first choice over VM without question.

Anyway, I'll stop there before I vent any more, I'm sure you've all heard it all before.

mogg
14-05-2011, 16:42
cant get on to online games either, like wow, guildwars, warhammer 40k, also some silly game called wiztech 101, even the web sites associated w/ them,.
think router got update last night, so nothing in wired pc, wireless pc and laptop has changed... which leaves me to believe it something in the router thats need changing, talked to virgin tech, and the guy there put me through to someone else, who wanted to charge £10 a month for tech support :O
any ideas what i might need to change?

BritAngie
14-05-2011, 17:25
I've just been looking at Blizzard forums just now- there is now a growing thread of virgin users who cannot even get the launcher working to connect to the game(myself included).... Looks like something has gone pearshaped..

speedymove
14-05-2011, 17:43
I've just been looking at Blizzard forums just now- there is now a growing thread of virgin users who cannot even get the launcher working to connect to the game(myself included).... Looks like something has gone pearshaped..

I think this problem is probably related to this one also..
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33677657-cant-access-loads-of-websites.html

mogg
14-05-2011, 17:46
sorry, blizzard seems to be working, my bad for putting wrong addy in lol, but curse.com not working for sure, and yes your right about the launcher not working, wife has been driving me mad with it all lol