PDA

View Full Version : Quick broadband question

pesty
01-05-2011, 12:09
Hi all, my son is getting virgin broadband installed soon along with virgin tv. He's getting the superhub but at the moment doesn't have a p.c or laptop. So the question is does he need either of these to have the broadband installed. At the moment the only things he has that work online are a ps3 an xbox and an iPod. He is getting a laptop but not until after the broadband is installed, we just wondered if the technician would still be able to install without it.

craigj2k12
01-05-2011, 12:38
the superhub is installed and activated with a computer, the installer opened a web page which was something like engineer.virginmedia.com on my laptop, which activated the superhub, and let me set up an account with virgin. this might be possible with the ps3's web broswer, or the xbox, but you will need to discuss this with the engineer

pesty
01-05-2011, 12:41
the superhub is installed and activated with a computer, the installer opened a web page which was something like engineer.virginmedia.com on my laptop, which activated the superhub, and let me set up an account with virgin. this might be possible with the ps3's web broswer, or the xbox, but you will need to discuss this with the engineer

I suppose I could lend him my laptop for now until he gets he's own. So he then could get the broadband installed.

Nopanic
01-05-2011, 12:50
The first time a customer uses BBI they have to go through activation. Although this can be bypassed from VM's side it is a requirement of the install to make sure all your details are correct and your email is setup.

If you lend him the laptop for the install, can use that and also setup the hubs wireless, then he'll be fine with the PS3.

jb66
01-05-2011, 15:20
Nah the installer can activate your broadband over the phone

Peter_
01-05-2011, 15:22
Do you not mean that we can activate it for you when you call technical support.;)

jb66
01-05-2011, 15:27
You used to be able to do it on iPhone but they changed the page :(

Peter_
01-05-2011, 15:29
You used to be able to do it on iPhone but they changed the page :(
Easier and quicker to call us as we can remove them from the walled garden in seconds and reboot the modem unlike quickstart.

craigj2k12
01-05-2011, 15:45
Easier and quicker to call us as we can remove them from the walled garden in seconds and reboot the modem unlike quickstart.

my installer gave me the webpage activation and said when it says re-start, the superhub usually freezes and i would need to manually restart it, but it worked fine, that was on the original firmware as well

Peter_
01-05-2011, 15:51
my installer gave me the webpage activation and said when it says re-start, the superhub usually freezes and i would need to manually restart it, but it worked fine, that was on the original firmware as well
It does not always work so calling us is usually quicker especially if swapping to a hub on a self install as it sometimes takes you into activation which is not required on an existing installation.

craigj2k12
01-05-2011, 15:55
It does not always work so calling us is usually quicker especially if swapping to a hub on a self install as it sometimes takes you into activation which is not required on an existing installation.

you just want a phone call dont you lol :D are you in work bored?

Peter_
01-05-2011, 15:56
you just want a phone call dont you lol :D are you in work bored?
We do not do Sundays and even offshore can handle just such a call.:D

Nopanic
01-05-2011, 17:21

Do you not mean that we can activate it for you when you call technical support.;)

Masque, I've very disappointed with you .. you're normally all about process.. removing a new install from the WG is a bad idea, it will 9/10 generate a call later on.

All customers need to be encouraged to complete activation ..

jb66, I think you said you're a tech .. you want to be careful calling in for new customers.. one of the things I'm looking at is checking for customers not using the flow and reporting back on it..

The Flow is there to give the customer the full use of VMs services, :cool:

jb66
01-05-2011, 18:19
The procedure is for us to call up. Its bad customer service to install broadband and not activate it for ps3. Also we need it activated to check it's moved over to docsis3 successfully and see if the power levels changed. If you need any help to find out why it has to be done pm me

craigj2k12
01-05-2011, 18:20
The procedure is for us to call up. Its bad customer service to install broadband and not activate it for ps3. Also we need it activated to check it's moved over to docsis3 successfully and see if the power levels changed. If you need any help to find out why it has to be done pm me

can you not use the activation website on the ps3?

jb66
01-05-2011, 18:40
It says browser not supported, it doesn't work with chrome, ie9 or the new firefox either. Need to put ie9 into compatibility mode but most techs don't know that

Peter_
01-05-2011, 18:56
Masque, I've very disappointed with you .. you're normally all about process.. removing a new install from the WG is a bad idea, it will 9/10 generate a call later on.

All customers need to be encouraged to complete activation ..

jb66, I think you said you're a tech .. you want to be careful calling in for new customers.. one of the things I'm looking at is checking for customers not using the flow and reporting back on it..

The Flow is there to give the customer the full use of VMs services, :cool:
You do realise that many customers get stuck in the walled garden upon activation and no matter if they are a new customer, a customer who has simply moved house or have received a new hub/modem it still happens and that customer will keep getting the Activation screen for ever and will build up a massive amount of non public ip adresses as they go around in a loop.

We then have no choice but to remove them from the walled garden as otherwise they will just become more irate because of the walled garden experience and management is well aware of this issue.

Now if an existing customer went through activation and completed it then any existing email addresses would be wiped out because activation made them set up a new one, not a good experience for the customer.

The hub may give them an error number telling them to call up as the system failed to reboot the hub.

All the above are reasons that we have to remove customers from the walled garden and management are aware and still we have to remove them to get them online.

I am not in the least disappointed as I am doing my job and getting the customer online which enhances their customer experience and helps with NPS.

pip08456
01-05-2011, 19:02
Correct Masque, that WG loop is all too frequent and most annoying. I've been there myself more than once although the second time I knew to just ring in.

jb66
02-05-2011, 09:51
Also if customer has blueyonder email it doesn't work past the @virginmedia.com page

Nopanic
02-05-2011, 11:52

Technically VM don't support PS3, T&C's have a PC/MAC requirement.

It's good customer service to help them in that case.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

You do realise that many customers get stuck in the walled garden upon activation and no matter if they are a new customer, a customer who has simply moved house or have received a new hub/modem it still happens and that customer will keep getting the Activation screen for ever and will build up a massive amount of non public ip adresses as they go around in a loop.

We then have no choice but to remove them from the walled garden as otherwise they will just become more irate because of the walled garden experience and management is well aware of this issue.

Now if an existing customer went through activation and completed it then any existing email addresses would be wiped out because activation made them set up a new one, not a good experience for the customer.

The hub may give them an error number telling them to call up as the system failed to reboot the hub.

All the above are reasons that we have to remove customers from the walled garden and management are aware and still we have to remove them to get them online.

I am not in the least disappointed as I am doing my job and getting the customer online which enhances their customer experience and helps with NPS.

If the customer has an email address activation will reset the password, not wipe it out. I'm not suggesting there arent good reason to remove, just new customers need to be encouraged to complete activation.

Also if customer has blueyonder email it doesn't work past the @virginmedia.com page

Customers with @blueyonder addresses aren't new customers.

Peter_
02-05-2011, 12:18
If the customer has an email address activation will reset the password, not wipe it out. I'm not suggesting there arent good reason to remove, just new customers need to be encouraged to complete activation.

We usually get the calls where they are stuck in the activation loop with a list of non public ip addresses as long as your arm and we have to click the release button.