PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Network Error Search

chambohambo
30-04-2011, 11:50
Hello everyone, hope your all well and having a good weekend so far, just wondering is it me or does this link not allow you to opt out anymore?

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/advancederror/feedback.php

craigj2k12
30-04-2011, 11:54
no, ever since they updated the website, the opt out form just gives a blank page
https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings

you can opt out by ringing up though

chambohambo
30-04-2011, 11:56
That is really stupid, why dont they get it fixed.

pip08456
30-04-2011, 12:10
Another job for Nopanic! :D:D

Milambar
30-04-2011, 12:43
<paranoid cap on>
My guess is they don't want you to opt out, but they have to provide some method to allow it or the press would have a field-day.

So they "accidentally" cripple the webpage, making phoning in the only way to opt-out.

Result, more people who would have opted out, don't because of the aggravation of negotiating with the Indian call centers, and the low chance of getting a UK one.

Even if that wasn't the intent, its probably the effect.
<paranoid cap off>

Either way, Im glad I opted out before the changes to the websites.

Mick Fisher
30-04-2011, 13:10
Hmmm...That's odd.

I immediately opted out when it was initially set up.

IIRC I made sure I didn't opt in to anything when I activated my superhub but nevertheless recently found myself opted back in. :(

Luckily I was able to opt out again and thought no more of it.

Hearing about this change in opting out arrangements I am wondering was it just me who got opted back in against my wishes and previous instructions or was it everybody.

Just a thought.

This used to happen regularly with the Yahoo web beacons in that periodically they would cancel all the opt outs. They did send an email to inform and invite you to opt out yet again though.

craigj2k12
30-04-2011, 13:38
if you dont want to opt out by phone, just change your dns to google dns or opendns

google dns

open dns

BenMcr
30-04-2011, 13:44
That is really stupid, why dont they get it fixed.They are, it should be fixed next week.

Sirius
30-04-2011, 13:50
if you dont want to opt out by phone, just change your dns to google dns or opendns

google dns

open dns

Dont think there is a way to do that in the superhub, Which means you would have to manually set it on each device accessing the Internet.

craigj2k12
30-04-2011, 14:06
Dont think there is a way to do that in the superhub, Which means you would have to manually set it on each device accessing the Internet.

you dont have to set it on every device, just the ones you dont want to use the advanced error search on

Sirius
30-04-2011, 14:14
you dont have to set it on every device, just the ones you dont want to use the advanced error search on

So that would be ALL :)

craigj2k12
30-04-2011, 14:24
So that would be ALL :)

i havnt opted out of the advanced search, and i dont see why i would need to?

Sirius
30-04-2011, 14:26
i havnt opted out of the advanced search, and i dont see why i would need to?

I prefer to use a system i can opt out and into when i wish to without spending time on the phone to a foreign country, At the moment my system of choice that i am using is Opendns.

craigj2k12
30-04-2011, 15:17
I prefer to use a system i can opt out and into when i wish to without spending time on the phone to a foreign country, At the moment my system of choice that i am using is Opendns.

im using the VM DNS servers with advances error search on and there is no problem, open dns uses an advanced error search anyway

Sirius
30-04-2011, 15:32
im using the VM DNS servers with advances error search on and there is no problem, open dns uses an advanced error search anyway

Correct however i prefer to use a service i chose and can switch on and off.

Milambar
30-04-2011, 18:02

If you use a VPN, advanced error search will screw with the VPN's routing/dns, as it doesn't return NXDOMAIN errors for faulty domains.

Hmmm...That's odd.

I immediately opted out when it was initially set up.

IIRC I made sure I didn't opt in to anything when I activated my superhub but nevertheless recently found myself opted back in.

Luckily I was able to opt out again and thought no more of it.

Hearing about this change in opting out arrangements I am wondering was it just me who got opted back in against my wishes and previous instructions or was it everybody.

Just a thought.

This used to happen regularly with the Yahoo web beacons in that periodically they would cancel all the opt outs. They did send an email to inform and invite you to opt out yet again though.

You have to opt-out every time you change your modem, so if you opted-out once, then got a superhub, you would have to opt your new superhub out as well. I believe its tied to the modem's MAC, not your connection.

Mick Fisher
30-04-2011, 18:44
If you use a VPN, advanced error search will screw with the VPN's routing/dns, as it doesn't return NXDOMAIN errors for faulty domains.
I wasn't aware of that but it lines up nicely with other VM offerings to avoid. Security App and Superhub immediately come to mind. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

You have to opt-out every time you change your modem, so if you opted-out once, then got a superhub, you would have to opt your new superhub out as well. I believe its tied to the modem's MAC, not your connection.
That ties in with my experience. So just a snide way to opt you back in hoping you don't notice.

It's really out of order IMHO.

Sirius
30-04-2011, 18:52
to opt you back in hoping you don't notice.

I don't mind using it for certain stuff and when testing however i don't like NOT having the option to opt in or out.

Mick Fisher
30-04-2011, 18:58
I don't mind using it for certain stuff and when testing however i don't like NOT having the option to opt in or out.
Exactly right.

Failswitch
06-05-2011, 00:31
They are, it should be fixed next week.

Just a heads up that the page now gives an error 500, hope you can /poke someone to get it fixed.

pip08456
06-05-2011, 00:38
Just a heads up that the page now gives an error 500, hope you can /poke someone to get it fixed.

Nopanic was too busy waiting to cut my connection, hopefully this will poke him!:D:D:D

Sirius
06-05-2011, 11:50

Maybe that's how they are going to fix it. Just remove it completely :LOL:

Peter_
09-05-2011, 15:31
It now working again.

pip08456
09-05-2011, 15:43
It now working again.

No it's not. You still have to opt out. PITA and treating customers like fools.:D

Peter_
09-05-2011, 15:47
No it's not. You still have to opt out. PITA and treating customers like fools.:D
It was not allowing the opt out so it is now working as it should which is quicker than calling in to get it unticked.

pip08456
09-05-2011, 15:55
It was not allowing the opt out so it is now working as it should which is quicker than calling in to get it unticked.

The point of my post is the you should not have to Opt Out.

You should not be opted in to something you don't want or need and can cause you problems (eg VPN connections).

Sirius
09-05-2011, 16:26
The point of my post is the you should not have to Opt Out.

You should not be opted in to something you don't want or need and can cause you problems (eg VPN connections).

I have to agree with you pip.

It should be opt in. What about all those customers who have no idea how they should turn it off or that KNOW you can turn it off if they want to.

When a customer is first installed this option should be OFF by default in my opinion

pip08456
09-05-2011, 17:07
I have to agree with you pip.

It should be opt in. What about all those customers who have no idea how they should turn it off or that KNOW you can turn it off if they want to.

When a customer is first installed this option should be OFF by default in my opinion

Yup, by all means on first install have an option to opt in as it helps VM's advertising revenue but it should not be a default opt in!

Failswitch
10-05-2011, 00:04
It now working again.

Cheers. Confirmed working ;)

BenMcr
10-05-2011, 00:11
What about all those customers who have no idea how they should turn it off or that KNOW you can turn it off if they want to.When the search page is presented there is a 'What's this' link which explains what it is and how to turn it off

Sirius
29-08-2011, 18:49
Its broken again, i have a new modem which means i am automatically opted IN :mad: , So i go to opt out and it fails to de register me. Anyone know any other way of removing this very unwanted option.

I make it a policy of trying not to us anything that automatically opts me in.

Peter_
30-08-2011, 05:45
Its broken again, i have a new modem which means i am automatically opted IN :mad: , So i go to opt out and it fails to de register me. Anyone know any other way of removing this very unwanted option.

I make it a policy of trying not to us anything that automatically opts me in.
If you ring in we can opt you out.

Sirius
30-08-2011, 06:27
If you ring in we can opt you out.

Its working again this morning :)