PDA

View Full Version : Convincing VM to extend their network

thelem
27-04-2011, 14:26
We've recently moved offices and are getting terrible ADSL performance, so would like to get a cable connection installed. We're in a building of 90 companies, there are green boxes and CATV manholes right outside the front door and we're willing to contribute towards their installation costs, but they are still being very resistant to installing the service.

Has anyone had any experience of this in the past, or any ideas on how to convince them add the building to the network?

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 14:58
if there are man holes and cabinets outside the door, then the only problem is the T holes or whatever there called. take a look in the installations forum there is a thread started by weesteev who is sorting out installation problems, the thread is called "want cable, but told you cant" or something. send weesteev a PM and he will get back to you

Ignitionnet
27-04-2011, 16:49
If there's 90 companies in the building this complicates things enormously, it's not the normal installation job :(

Chances are VM will be wanting to shift business connectivity to the building rather than cable to the individual offices and regardless they would need to get agreement from the building owner, it's not VM being obstructive.

Skie
27-04-2011, 21:18
Provisioning a building like that would be like provisioning a medium sized new-build estate. Not just a case of running a cable in :)

weesteev
28-04-2011, 09:05
Your request is nothing to do with Virgin extending their network. If its for a business connection then they will provide a bespoke connection based on your needs. Get in touch with Virgin Media business to take things further, they will be able to provide a quote for install costs to get the building connected for your service.

ErnieBean
28-04-2011, 09:49
When Morison's built their new head office, they paid towards the cost.
But British bakeries lower down didn't and virgin ran a cable underground from a manhole across the road

thelem
29-04-2011, 22:04
there is a thread started by weesteev who is sorting out installation problems

Thanks - I'll check it out. Looks like just the right person to help.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

If there's 90 companies in the building this complicates things enormously, it's not the normal installation job :(

Chances are VM will be wanting to shift business connectivity to the building rather than cable to the individual offices and regardless they would need to get agreement from the building owner, it's not VM being obstructive.

I've been speaking to both VM business and the building owner, neither have mentioned wiring the whole building and the owner (the city council) are very keen to get a better internet service.

I don't see why 90 companies complicates things that much. There's loads of space for 'green boxes', either outside the building or inside, and easy ducts to run the wires through. If they wanted to just wire us up they could, or if they wanted to put 90% of the wiring in for all units in the building then the only additional cost I can see is the wire and labour to do all the crimping etc.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Your request is nothing to do with Virgin extending their network. If its for a business connection then they will provide a bespoke connection based on your needs. Get in touch with Virgin Media business to take things further, they will be able to provide a quote for install costs to get the building connected for your service.

I've been speaking to the business sales team. I think they've put through three orders for us for a standard business broadband service, each with a note on them saying that the building is not currently on the VM network and a proper quote is required. Each time they come back with the note seemingly not having been read and the provisioning team just saying 'sorry, that building is not on the network'.

I've also talked to then about the managed services using the BT network, but you're looking at annual costs in five figures even for a 10Mb synchronous connection, where as a 20Mb down / 1Mb up DOCSIS connection would be £600 per year - we could get 10 of them for less than a 10Mb managed connection!

weesteev
30-04-2011, 22:20
Got your PM, thelem, will get an answer for you next week when im back in the office.