PDA

View Full Version : 100M Dark Age of Camelot Lag

Phixion
24-04-2011, 23:35
Me and some friends recently went back to DAoC, however me and my brother (on same network) have been experiencing very bad lag. Sometimes we both lag, sometimes only I lag, other times only he lags.

I can log 2 accounts in and have 1 account lag and the other not. Sometimes both lag, sometimes none lag.

My friends are on VM but not 100mbit... they aren't getting any problems.

Does anyone know whether VM are traffic shaping on certain ports? I tried opening all ports as per the DAoC website guide, yet I still experience the same problem. I'm starting to think that it may be if I connect to the server on certain ports I get the lag issue whereas if I connect on other ports it doesn't get throttled therefore I get no lag.

I hope someone can help, this is an old game and not many people are still playing so this is a longshot!

pip08456
25-04-2011, 00:03
VM state they do not throttle ports, some users say different. It matters not what speed connection you have as gaming takes very little bandwidth, it's all down to ping, latentcy and , more importantly jitter.

VM is not the best network for gaming although other ISP's who have P2P traffic shaping have not got their game together yet either.

Phixion
25-04-2011, 03:45
Well, I've been with VM/BY/Cableinet since they started doing Dialup, I can't say I have ever experienced this issue in the past.

I can play any game, any time lag free... except for DAoC. I used to be able to play it fine, but now it's playing up.

Funnily enough, after 12 tonight the lag completely went for me and my brother, isn't that when they supposedly stop throttling?

If DAoC is being seen by them as P2P they really need to sort it out, I don't expect this poor service when paying for their top tier.

pip08456
25-04-2011, 14:05
Traffic shaping for P2P apps ends at midnight. Co-incidence?