PDA

View Full Version : 30M Sharing speed around computers

Woodw23ard
21-04-2011, 18:51
Hey, I recently went to 30mb with Virgin, we used to get 0.5mb with AOL. Anyway there's 3 other computer users in the house, neither of whom are paying towards the net but still use it (I don't mind, they used to pay but didn't want to pay the extra to move to virgin so I said I'd pay myself)

pip08456
21-04-2011, 19:52
And?

jb66
21-04-2011, 19:57
I ate a sandwich toady, it was allright, the bread was bought on monday so it wasnt as fresh as i'd like it. Think i'll try hovis next time

Woodw23ard
21-04-2011, 20:15
Sorry forgot to add, basically would like to limit the other computers to 8mb or so which
I think is fair considering I pay for it and they used to get 0.5mb. Just problem at mo is the amount they're downloading Im getting around 10mb. That's if it's possible ofcourse

pip08456
21-04-2011, 20:20
Sorry forgot to add, basically would like to limit the other computers to 8mb or so which
I think is fair considering I pay for it and they used to get 0.5mb. Just problem at mo is the amount they're downloading Im getting around 10mb. That's if it's possible ofcourse

That's basically what you've got now.

3*8=24Mb/s +your 10Mb/s=34Mb/s

OldMoose
21-04-2011, 20:27
(I don't mind, they used to pay but didn't want to pay the extra to move to virgin so I said I'd pay myself)

OK, so why not get them to pay you the amount that they 'used to pay' for the old service, as a contribution towards the enhanced connection that they are all now making use of.

If they are using the resources, they should make a contribution to the bills, enhanced speed or not!

J

AndyCalling
21-04-2011, 22:40
One option is to plug in an old G router into the Superhub as a wireless access point (such as the old Netgear WGR614v9 VM used to provide or your ADSL router) if you have it from your previous connection and force it to use B wireless speed only. You can use the Superhub wireless with your own private password, and they can get B speeds on the old router with a password for the rest of the house. B should limit them as it has an 11 meg theoretical max, but overheads will mean they will get far less, perhaps around 5 to 6 meg? You'll have to test.

So, you could get there without spending any more money if you didn't chuck out the old router. Even an ADSL router can be used as a wireless access point because the modem side is simply not connected or being used, just the wireless and lan functions.

Instructions for connecting a wireless access point can be found on this forum. It's covered in threads I've been posting in recently as I tried to work out how to do it, so search about. You can do it quite easily.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 23:03
Nice one Andy, I hadn't even thought of that as it's so long since I used wireless "b"

Skie
22-04-2011, 00:13
You could always get a router than can be flashed with the tomato firmware then enable QoS and allocate the other machines less overall bandwidth than your own. This is a great way to make sure the torrent monkeys upstairs dont saturate your connection while playing games online.

AndyCalling
22-04-2011, 00:57
Nice one Andy, I hadn't even thought of that as it's so long since I used wireless "b"

I'm the king of stingey, me. Never pay up, never surrender!

On the plus side OP, you can offer the other login to people individually if they want to pony up and pay their way. You could always limit logins on the Superhub to their mac codes as well so they can't share the password if they get tempted. So long as they don't actively try to hack through that (I assume they are your mates, not random lodgers) then you will have a nice carrot to dangle when they suddenly get shoved on to the slow lane.

If they want pay-as-you-go you can charge £5 a night to enable the Superhub guest network for them to do a batch of high speed downloads. You could really be on the make then. :cool: