PDA

View Full Version : 50M Early Cancellation due to poor service.

CurryMonster
20-04-2011, 15:41
Hi,

I upgraded to 50mb broadband back in October thus automatically extending my contract for 12 months but since tghe upgrade I've had nothing but problems:

* Poor performance with SuperHub for weeks so reverted back to the old Dlink router.

* High upload ultilisation in my area and was unable to use the internet at at between 6pm and 11pm (fixed about 9 weeks ago.

* I have been without any broadband or VOD since last Friday due to a maintenance problem in my area and still no fix date.

I have phone, tv and broadband and have been told I'll have to pay £180 early cancellation!! Do I have a leg to stand on to be able to cancel without charge as Virgin are not providing the service I signed up for??

Thanks

craigj2k12
20-04-2011, 17:43
they will compensate you for the months that were affected, and thats all

you dont really have a leg to stand on, as they seem to have given you a modem, and upgraded the network to allow for high utilisation, they are bending over backwards for you

General Maximus
20-04-2011, 18:01
they are bending over backwards for you

excuse me while I am sick :sick:

craigj2k12
20-04-2011, 18:57
excuse me while I am sick :sick:

the modems are hard to come by, the OP doesnt mention that he rang the CEO office, so if he got one from retentions, then they are certainly doing as much as they can

Peter_
20-04-2011, 19:59
the modems are hard to come by, the OP doesnt mention that he rang the CEO office, so if he got one from retentions, then they are certainly doing as much as they can
Retentions do not do modems.:rolleyes:;)

Chris
20-04-2011, 20:03
Do they do duvets? :D

Peter_
20-04-2011, 20:05
Do they do duvets? :D
Hopefully not.:D

riccojames
20-04-2011, 21:54
'Superhhub' is simply not an option!!! :td:

I have gone back to the 20meg connection and finally have a connection that works.

On Sunday, YES EASTER SUNDAY!! I have been promised an engineer call out to replace the DODGY SUPER HUB for an apparently WORKING ONE!!... I must be mad to even believe that either are true :rolleyes:

There MUST be a legal thing that gives us the ability to pull out after signing up to a newer contract thats not what was promised... surely!
:shocked:

craigj2k12
20-04-2011, 23:09
yeah its called consumer rights

pip08456
20-04-2011, 23:20
'Superhhub' is simply not an option!!! :td:

I have gone back to the 20meg connection and finally have a connection that works.

On Sunday, YES EASTER SUNDAY!! I have been promised an engineer call out to replace the DODGY SUPER HUB for an apparently WORKING ONE!!... I must be mad to even believe that either are true :rolleyes:

There MUST be a legal thing that gives us the ability to pull out after signing up to a newer contract thats not what was promised... surely!
:shocked:

VM have always had a cancellation clause on all upgrades. Cancel within 7 days (long enough to assess if you got what you were promised) and you revert to exactly the position you were in before the upgrade.

I have done it myself. I had 100Mb installed (upgrade from 50Mb) on 30/3/11 cancelled on 5/4/11 then gave the required 28 days notice on my 50Mb contract (over 12 mths old), and my VM service ends on 6/5/11.

No arguements, no threats or anything except retentions doing their job in trying to persude me to stay which were politely declined.

CurryMonster
21-04-2011, 09:02
VM have always had a cancellation clause on all upgrades. Cancel within 7 days (long enough to assess if you got what you were promised) and you revert to exactly the position you were in before the upgrade.

I have done it myself. I had 100Mb installed (upgrade from 50Mb) on 30/3/11 cancelled on 5/4/11 then gave the required 28 days notice on my 50Mb contract (over 12 mths old), and my VM service ends on 6/5/11.

No arguements, no threats or anything except retentions doing their job in trying to persude me to stay which were politely declined.

When they first installed the 50mb (which was an upgrade from 10mb) the engineer only had the modem and dlink router, about 2 weeks later I was sent the SuperHub, so when the problems started it had passed the 7 day cancellation period.

Its frustrating as there is always a problem with the service, Virgin must have everything covered in there favour in the T&Cs but surely the customer has right too if they aren't giving the services detailed in the contract?

Zing
21-04-2011, 09:20
Why do you not go and get a free consultation with a solicitor? At the end of the day here you will only get the usual rhetoric " VM are doing all they can" or " No you will have to pay blar blar" when actually contract law is very complicated. I would seriously like to see how us customers stand in law

I think to save you credit rating you would have to pay the £180 making sure you inform in writing your intent to dispute the fees in the small claims court and outline the reasons.

If the service you are receiving are not what VM are contracted to supply you. IE continual loss of service etc then the small claims court may see it as a breach of the sale of goods act. I believe it is actually the sale of goods and services which are covered.

I doubt any of the VM employees here and the vast majority of the membership ( where is Mr Angry when you need him) actually know enough about contract law to answer your question with anything other than Virgin Media Blag