PDA

View Full Version : 50M Disconnection Letter

andip1967
14-04-2011, 11:12
Hi

We have had a disconnection letter regarding the FUP, when we got the 3rd letter we altered our d/l habits to off peaks times, 1am in the morning and well before 9am. Can they do this to us?

TheJokersCard
14-04-2011, 11:20
Its VM they can do anything they want. And I though it was unlimited.

Welshchris
14-04-2011, 11:22
what u dont realise is that the letters are sent out maybe 2 months after. So for example u could get a letter In April for the ammount u downloaded in Feburary and therefore u broke it again in March and this is why they have disconnected u.

The reason i know this is when i recieved one it was for the ammount i had downloaded 2 months previously.

andip1967
14-04-2011, 11:24
Welshchris, how did you get on?? Hasn't gone off yet, we are going to speak to them later.

Welshchris
14-04-2011, 11:25
it was my first letter so nothing happened it was a warning letter. Those that have had their 3rd usually do get disconnected. U can complain and see how u get off but usually they really dont wanna know.

Griffin
14-04-2011, 11:39
I thought you could download as much as you like, but after you had exceeded certain limits your speed would be downgraded.
Looks like sky are the only true unlimited provider after all.

Welshchris
14-04-2011, 11:46
Well Sky do have a AUP..

Read it here...
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/251-sky-broadband-fup-fair-useage-policy.html

The Bit i find of interest is this ....
World Wide Web and surfing the net

You will be solely responsible for your use of the internet and any web pages owned and/or operated by you that you connect to the Sky Network using Sky Broadband. You must not use world wide web pages within or outside the Sky Network to violate any part of this AUP or to disrupt or attempt to disrupt another internet user’s internet experience.

In My opinion if ur downloading heavy it could be seen to discrupt another internet users internet experience.

Digital Fanatic
14-04-2011, 11:48
Hi

We have had a disconnection letter regarding the FUP, when we got the 3rd letter we altered our d/l habits to off peaks times, 1am in the morning and well before 9am. Can they do this to us?

How much are you downloading?

andip1967
14-04-2011, 11:50
Mostly BR stuff off usenet

Sirius
14-04-2011, 11:57
How much are you downloading?

That is the million dollar question ?

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

Mostly BR stuff off usenet

So about how much a week ??

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

I thought you could download as much as you like, but after you had exceeded certain limits your speed would be downgraded.

Thats because skys adsl speeds are on average **** poor, so most will not be able to download as much as they would like.

andip1967
14-04-2011, 12:01
During peak hardly anything, between 1am and 9am (OFF PEAK) it can be as much as 50gb

Welshchris
14-04-2011, 12:02
the max first hand i have ever witnessed was my ex partner he had just over 13mb on Sky LLU.

Ignitionnet
14-04-2011, 12:05
Hi

Yes.

Any other questions? ;)

Sirius
14-04-2011, 12:05
During peak hardly anything, between 1am and 9am (OFF PEAK) it can be as much as 50gb Only 50 gig in a week off peak :shocked: i bet some are doing far more than that on here and never get a letter. I am doing far more than that off peak per week.

AbyssUnderground
14-04-2011, 12:11

Wrong. Be*there are as well. They have an FUP but to my knowledge have never enforced it on anyone because unlike most ISP's their network can actually handle it. I frequently do over 500GB a month and not so much as a peep. I can easily do 80GB/day at full speed.

Sirius
14-04-2011, 12:20
Wrong. Be*there are as well. They have an FUP but to my knowledge have never enforced it on anyone because unlike most ISP's their network can actually handle it. I frequently do over 500GB a month and not so much as a peep. I can easily do 80GB/day at full speed.

Yep fits in with my OFF PEAK usage at certain times of the week as well but do it on VM

Welshchris
14-04-2011, 12:59

again nope.....

https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/fairusagepolicy

What about excessive network usage?

If it's felt that any Be member's Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that member's services.

Ignitionnet
14-04-2011, 14:06
He said that they have an FUP but have never enforced it Chris, not that they don't have one.

This is entirely accurate. Be have never disconnected anyone for heavy usage.

Sky remain the only ones with no provision for heavy usage though - the section you mentioned is quite specific and doesn't refer to downloading but to things like DoS.

Welshchris
14-04-2011, 16:41
may not have disconnected anyone but there could have been the odd occasion letters were sent out and we wouldnt know.

Yes i understand that it may not be enforced as much as Virgins or even BT's but we cant say it maynot happen as we dont know how much some people download and if its anything to what Virgin report some people on their 50mb download 4.2TB a month.

I know they wont be able to download that much on an upto 20mb connection but we still dont know if they are bashing the network time and time again if the ISP will respond at all.

Ignitionnet
14-04-2011, 17:00
Given the connected state of everyone these days I would imagine that if Be did write to a customer they would be on a forum like this one fairly quickly to complain.

pip08456
14-04-2011, 17:01
I was with Be before moving 2 years ago.

In the 2 years I was with them the connection was hammered as there were 2 of us sharing a house and both were heavily into torrenting then.

Not a peep out of Be they just let you get on with it.

andip1967
14-04-2011, 18:29
So who would you now choose now that Virgin have cut us off and lost monthly coin off us

pip08456
14-04-2011, 18:35
You've got either Sky or Be to be able to continue with your downlading habits.

Marcus125
14-04-2011, 18:39
Virginmedia told me I was a "heavy user" as I downloaded between 45-60gb a month lol. This was when I enquired about 100mb.

Thats crazy really as I only had 100mb so I would have enough for all the family to use. EG

Iplayer
Youtube
xbox

All at once.

Tazz
14-04-2011, 20:43
Can you scan the letter in blocking out your address and account details etc. Would love to see it....

pip08456
14-04-2011, 20:43
Virginmedia told me I was a "heavy user" as I downloaded between 45-60gb a month lol. This was when I enquired about 100mb.

Thats crazy really as I only had 100mb so I would have enough for all the family to use. EG

Iplayer
Youtube
xbox

All at once.

Considering that the majority of VM customers will be on perhaps 10Mb connections for email, web browsing and social networking then 45-60Gbpm could be classed as heavy use.

It means nothing really until they warn you that your use is affecting other users in your area.

No warning letter - no problem.

Neo-Tech
14-04-2011, 20:50
Everyone in my house accounts to around 60Gb per month on average.

I think I should be worried now...

pip08456
14-04-2011, 20:56
I'm hammering it! Contract ends 6th May!

Neo-Tech
14-04-2011, 21:07
^As much as how stupid that is. I'd end up doing the same :D

love2learn
14-04-2011, 22:46
In my opinion it's a con. They advertise fast unlimited connections. Then the limit the connection either by slowing it down at certain times when you try to use it as an unlimited connection or they disconnect you all together for trying to use the connection as an unlimited connection.
I don't care if they have it in the small print. They go on about other broadband companies advertising above average speeds for their network. Well the shoes on the other foot Virgin Media!!! You are advertising an unlimited product that is limited.... FACT!

I won't continue to rant anymore, I'm going to take 10 minutes to draft and print a letter out to Of Com, But I doub't I'll be saying "AWW thanks Of Com for proving Virgin Media mis advertise their broadband product". I'll continue to write letters though, doesn't take a lot of time to do. If you agree then please do the same ;-)[COLOR="Silver"] Or fill out this form if it's easier...

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/sales/mis-selling-broadband-services/

Ignitionnet
14-04-2011, 23:12
Already been done by others and achieved precisely nothing as the policy affects such a small subset of customers but do go ahead :)

Peter_
15-04-2011, 05:53
In my opinion it's a con. They advertise fast unlimited connections. Then the limit the connection either by slowing it down at certain times when you try to use it as an unlimited connection or they disconnect you all together for trying to use the connection as an unlimited connection.
I don't care if they have it in the small print. They go on about other broadband companies advertising above average speeds for their network. Well the shoes on the other foot Virgin Media!!! You are advertising an unlimited product that is limited.... FACT!

I won't continue to rant anymore, I'm going to take 10 minutes to draft and print a letter out to Of Com, But I doub't I'll be saying "AWW thanks Of Com for proving Virgin Media mis advertise their broadband product". I'll continue to write letters though, doesn't take a lot of time to do. If you agree then please do the same ;-)[COLOR="Silver"] Or fill out this form if it's easier...

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/sales/mis-selling-broadband-services/
They are regulated by OFCOM who are fully aware of the Traffic Management Policy.

Ofcom rates us fastest http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/about-virgin-broadband/broadband-speeds-explained.html

Griffin
15-04-2011, 11:00
They are regulated by OFCOM who are fully aware of the Traffic Management Policy.

Ofcom rates us fastest http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/about-virgin-broadband/broadband-speeds-explained.html

This is true VM are the fastest, but how can they continue to brag unlimited if they are going to disconnect people even if they are downloading silly amounts.
They have after all a traffic management system that slows connections after x amount of bandwidth.

TJS
16-04-2011, 06:48
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tm-table-fu-large.jpg

Its the upload limit that'll be the 'problem' on 50 mb i take it that your torrenting this 50 / 60 gb meaning you'll be sharing a good chunk of data.

icouldbewrongthough

Neo-Tech
18-04-2011, 00:04
Does Virgin have any AUP figures? It's really bugging me now because I've managed to rack up 12GB over 3 days due to reinstallation of my PC and downloads.

And that't not accounting the traffic from the rest of this month (before and after).

AaronCooper
18-04-2011, 12:52
Does Virgin have any AUP figures? It's really bugging me now because I've managed to rack up 12GB over 3 days due to reinstallation of my PC and downloads.

And that't not accounting the traffic from the rest of this month (before and after).

Wouldn't worry at all about that. For example the newly launched MMORPG called RIFT was almost 10GB of downloads & updates. Not to mention all the WoW players, who reinstall etc.

They would lose such a large customer base if people got warnings for downloading large amounts in burst, i think it's those who download large amounts everyday all day.

Jayster
18-04-2011, 13:05
I think the letters only go out to people who end up affecting other people on oversubscribed UBR's I consistently do about 300GB per month down and about 50GB per month up for the past year and have not received any letters, about half of the amount is off peak and the other half on peak.

Neo-Tech
18-04-2011, 18:57
My UBR is the worst in my area. I mean, today I was playing some HL2 online and had an average ping of 80ms when it's usually 40ms.

Well, the thing is, I've still got a lot to download. Would it be safe to say I'd be safe, if I kept download to off peak?

andip1967
19-04-2011, 12:46
Well folks, they disconnected us yesterday. Going with Sky for everything now.

Ignitionnet
19-04-2011, 13:02
Hope it works out well for you and their package is more appropriate to your needs sir.

Nopanic
20-04-2011, 07:22
Well folks, they disconnected us yesterday. Going with Sky for everything now.

That's a shame, I don't know the facts around your usage, but disconnecting customers (for me) doesn't make sense ..

SOSAGES
20-04-2011, 14:31
i feel worried everytime i download a gig to at peak times (i need to sometimes)
do all my downloading from 9-9 now which is a pain but ho hum.

i talked to the team after my first letter and they said they couldnt give me any hard figures of how much is "safe" to download as it depends who else is on the system locally at any given time..so now i just try not to use it peak times.

Hugh
20-04-2011, 14:56
That's a shame, I don't know the facts around your usage, but disconnecting customers (for me) doesn't make sense ..He/she was on their third letter......