PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub factory resetting itself

Octimon
14-04-2011, 08:11
In the last couple of weeks my absolutely nothing super about it hub has started factory resetting itself. It just seems to suddenly fall over and all I can do is turn it off and back on again but when it comes back to life all my settings are gone, the SSID changes and it has reset itself - even the user / password are changed back to admin / changeme

I have even tried manually factory resetting it in case it was just a glitch that needed to be cleared but it has since done it again on its own.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I note from the forum there has been a firmware update recently and this has only been happening in the last couple of weeks (3 times now) - is it related?

Cheers

Octy

Peter_
14-04-2011, 08:14
It is a fault and the hub will need replacing so you need to call up technical support.

Octimon
09-07-2011, 15:23
VM replaced the [Mod edit]hub and for the last few weeks the new one has worked flawlessly but guess what.....

The last two days it has reset itself back to the factory settings :mad:

Guess I'll be needing a trophy cabinet to house my dead [Mod edit]hubs

Hugh
09-07-2011, 15:25
Please do not use words which invoke the swear filter, or asterisks instead of words that invoke the swear filter - repetition of this behaviour will incur infractions.

Octimon
15-07-2011, 18:03
Well, hub No 3 now here and activated. I wonder how long this one will last? !!

jb66
15-07-2011, 18:15
I tried 4 before I gave up and got rid

Octimon
15-07-2011, 18:33
Wonder how much it is costing them in replacements?

Octimon
16-07-2011, 20:57
Hard not to invoke the swear / asterisk filter but the 3rd hub has lasted less than 24 hours. Just reset itself. Virgin, I have said this before but you are a joke. This just isn't good enough.

Octimon
17-07-2011, 11:29
Hub number 4 on its way

Funny, how the first 2 times I called I was told it was a known fault but this time I had to spend 1/2 an hour on the phone explaining things before I was told "we have not come across this before all we can do is escalate it to Network and send you another"

Email also on its way to CEO office as this is just intolerable service.

They provide me a V+ box but don't dictate my telly, they provide a phone connection but don't dictate what phones I use so what gives them the right to dicate how I network my kit?

kenoliver
17-07-2011, 11:59
They provide me a V+ box but don't dictate my telly, they provide a phone connection but don't dictate what phones I use so what gives them the right to dicate how I network my kit?

A question often asked :)

1000's of us have purchased our own Wireless devices as VM did not supply wireless equipment until recently with their new HUB

to expect all of us just to bin these devices is unrealistic,

The "modem" only mode should have been an option on their Hub from the start

KenK
17-07-2011, 22:02
Guess I'll be needing a trophy cabinet to house my dead hubsHub number 4 on its wayDo you mean they're not taking back the failed devices? How are they going to work out what is/was wrong with them, if they don't take them back and examine them?

There's another thread here where a member of VM staff says all faulty kit is returned to the manufacturer for a refund - how does that work?

As we're constantly reminded, hubs are VM's property at all times. Why are they just abandoning them?
Wonder how much it is costing them in replacements?I think you'll find we the customers are paying for it - even if we don't have a "super"hub.

kwikbreaks
18-07-2011, 09:10
They never asked for mine back. One was replaced as faulty (reported as such on Masque's advice). I tested the second and found a repeatable problem (hub hangs when doing a TrueImage backup to a NAS device over WiFi using 300Mbps mode) so complained to CEO office and got a vmng300 to replace it. VM didn't ask for either hub back.

I imagine they get these devices so cheaply that paying return postage and handling them would cost more than just scrapping them. The WEEE directive means that VM couldn't just send them to landfill and scrapping them would cost more money - it's probably actually cheaper leaving disposal to the customer.

Octimon
18-07-2011, 11:50
First one they didn't ask for. They did not ask for No 2 back but right at the bottom of the package sending out unit No 3 was a reply paid address label to send back No 2. Hadn't even got it packaged before No 3 failed.

Octimon
18-07-2011, 17:39
Have been trying to work from home today and suffered 2 resets

Have done a bit of research on this and it appears I am among a myriad of complainants with exactly the same problem. VM have even admitted to the fault on their own forums - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Superhub-factory-resetting-problem/m-p/578389#M59568

It strikes me as intrinsically wrong that someone can continue to advertise and sign up customers and supply kit that they know to be faulty and not fit for purpose at the time of supply. Surely the product should be withdrawn until corrected?

kenoliver
18-07-2011, 18:41
It strikes me as intrinsically wrong that someone can continue to advertise and sign up customers and supply kit that they know to be faulty and not fit for purpose at the time of supply. Surely the product should be withdrawn until corrected?

Every thing seems to hang on the release of R28, although this seems to keep getting delayed

There will come a tipping point for VM were the dissatisfaction with the Hub become commercially unsustainable for them

Mick Fisher
18-07-2011, 20:16
There must be something that is fundamentally wrong with the superhub and vm's network.

I mean there is no consistency in the problems.

Some report poor wireless coverage, some report wireless dropouts, some report frequents lockups needing a reboot, some report frequent resets to factory defaults, some (like me) report frequent spontaneous rebooting, some have problems with 300mbps and some (like me) can't get 300mbps to work at all.

What a can of worms.

Octimon
18-07-2011, 20:59
Apart from the resets, I have encountered poor wireless coverage and poor DHCP capability - various devices such as ipads, phones, printer (wired) get thrown off the network and have to be rebooted to get an IP address again. Had an awful problem with afriend's laptop getting an IP address - had to connect it via ethernet first and then unplug it before the wireless would give it an IP address

KenK
18-07-2011, 21:41
The WEEE directive means that VM couldn't just send them to landfill and scrapping them would cost more money - it's probably actually cheaper leaving disposal to the customer.VM could just send them to landfill, if it pays the appropriate landfill charges. I think that's what people claim VM does, when they say VM contributes to local authority disposal schemes.

I still want to know why it's the renter's job to dispose of VM's scrap property in an appropriate manner. When did "cheaper for the owner" become a reason to avoid their responsibilities.

kwikbreaks
18-07-2011, 22:02
> There must be something that is fundamentally wrong with the superhub and vm's network.

As the problems disappear when you use a vmng300 modem I'd say it's pretty clear that the problems lie with the Superhub only.

> I mean there is no consistency in the problems.

I think just about all the problems can be laid at the door of dodgy firmware handling the WiFi - if it hangs or overlays memory the symptoms can appear inconsistent. It seems to be stable enough when WiFi is turned off and it's used with another router.

> VM could just send them to landfill, if it pays the appropriate landfill charges.

Not legally they can't - look up the WEEE directive which is now UK law.

> I still want to know why it's the renter's job to dispose of VM's scrap property in an appropriate manner.

It isn't and you could insist they take them back but few people bother (WEEE Directive again).

KenK
18-07-2011, 22:35
> I still want to know why it's the renter's job to dispose of VM's scrap property in an appropriate manner.

It isn't and you could insist they take them back but few people bother (WEEE Directive again).Some VM staff, who are kind enough to contribute to these discussions, say paying someone else is good enough - VM are "part of the 'Distributor Take Back Scheme' which contributes to local council facilities". See thread 10M: Modems: are they coded, or interchangeable? for example. That still makes it the renter's job to get VM's scrap kit to the appropriate local council facility.

kwikbreaks
19-07-2011, 08:40
This is VMs publicly issued information....

http://cr.virginmedia.com/imagelibrary/downloadMedia.ashx?MediaDetailsID=180

It seems it may be that you have to pay yourself to return it to VM but they do have to take it. Given the option of a load of hassle or the wheelie bin I know where I suspect most old VM kit ends up.

nigelmclelland
19-07-2011, 08:47
By the sound of things it wont be long before a new modem is in the planning by Virgin, that is if it is not already!

kwikbreaks
19-07-2011, 11:37
You are being brainwashed by the naughty Superhub nay sayers on forums.

If you would only listen to the Gospel According to VM (and it seems cableforum) Staff you would realise that this wondrous device is the best broadband hub in the known universe and only a few awkward customers with ridiculous requirements (e.g. expecting it to work) are in any way criticising it.

kenoliver
19-07-2011, 12:29

If you would only listen to the Gospel According to VM (and it seems cableforum) Staff you would realise that this wondrous device is the best broadband hub in the known universe and only a few awkward customers with ridiculous requirements (e.g. expecting it to work) are in any way criticising it.

"Outstanding" :cool:

Mick Fisher
19-07-2011, 12:31

:D:D:D

A slightly different superhub experience for me today.
Everything appeared to be working normally including the light show, the wireless and my network but it had dropped the WAN.
As usual only a manual reboot restored the status quo.

markie1966
19-07-2011, 14:56
> There must be something that is fundamentally wrong with the superhub and vm's network.

As the problems disappear when you use a vmng300 modem I'd say it's pretty clear that the problems lie with the Superhub only.

> I mean there is no consistency in the problems.

I think just about all the problems can be laid at the door of dodgy firmware handling the WiFi - if it hangs or overlays memory the symptoms can appear inconsistent. It seems to be stable enough when WiFi is turned off and it's used with another router.

> VM could just send them to landfill, if it pays the appropriate landfill charges.

Not legally they can't - look up the WEEE directive which is now UK law.

It isn't and you could insist they take them back but few people bother (WEEE Directive again).

i dont think ur correct there where u say its the wireless side...theres been too many posts from people that are using the hub via ethernet cable that have problems, me included. the funny thing is my wifi experience with the hub has been pretty good...everything that ive tried to connect to it has done so and stayed connected. ive tried turning off wifi...turning on wifi....enabling and disabling all the options in the hub but still i cant play games properly thru a wired connection so much so i havnt played a game online for over a month. i wish i had the luxury of having a vmng300 to test it out, BUT i have used the hub as a modem and connected my own router and the problems still rears its head. i think its more a combination of vm's management policy...games being seen as peer to peer...the way the network is configured and the superhub itself with its dodgy firmware that has made this whole debacle come to a head. i just wish it would work properly

kwikbreaks
19-07-2011, 15:38
Well of course the Superhub appeared at around the same time as traffic management (shaping variety).

I don't do gaming but there must be people here on 50Mbps who have the vmng300 and are also gamers - comments from them should go some way towards clearing this up.

kenoliver
19-07-2011, 15:54
i cant play games properly thru a wired connection so much so i havnt played a game online for over a month.

i just wish it would work properly

That's not good :(

I don't play games, but had alway believed a wired connection to the HUB would be solid, it seems all aspects of the HUB are giving problems

Most of us have come up with work arounds for our wireless difficulties and are getting on ok now, albeit with some alterations to the HUB's configuration

But if your wired connection for gaming is not reliable then you have the worst scenario of all of us, as the wired connection on the HUB seemed to be its strong point

Hope you get a resolution soon

qasdfdsaq
23-07-2011, 00:59
I have a funny feeling VM might try pull off a silly stunt like using the Superhub for the 400mbps service when it comes out, despite it not being capable of such speeds.

Octimon
28-07-2011, 18:50
Hub No 4 here. Wonder how long this will last.

Octimon
05-08-2011, 19:06
Well so far no factory resets (touching wooden desk as typing!) but this hub is constantly rebooting - about once a day

Mick Fisher
05-08-2011, 20:26
Well so far no factory resets (touching wooden desk as typing!) but this hub is constantly rebooting - about once a day
So that is zero properly working superhubs out of four. :td:

And to think some people appeared shocked that I hadn't bothered to report that I had one that didn't work properly. :rolleyes:

Midnight Tboy
28-11-2011, 11:12
hi all,

Had my superhub for about 5 days, and its reset itself too.

Left it as it is for my pc for now, but will need to reconfigure it all again for all my other devices to work.

Also, a couple of weeks ago my father in law said his net wasn't working, and when I went over and checked his had been reset to factory too. A different looking box his, still integrated modem/wifi tho power button on back? Older version of superhub perhaps?

Anyone ever get a solution for this? as don't fancy having to do this every few days

buckleb
28-11-2011, 11:35
So to be clear, the reboot only happens when its working in wireless mode, and modem mode is fine?

I have my 100Mb install on Wednesday and I will be using my own wireless router if this is the case (I can't keep the current modem as it has a loose power jack).

It does seem as if this device is causing quite a few problems. Is it a bespoke device, unique to Virginmedia or is it a branded version of a current device?

jb66
28-11-2011, 11:54
It's the router side that's fubared, modem mode is fine, I reported this fault over 12months ago when I was trailing the hub, but nothing's changed. I've never heard the regular hub do it though

Midnight Tboy
28-11-2011, 12:16
If you're wired in, and hadn't set up a wireless ssid etc to change it to a personal name instead of default virginmedia123456etc name, if it had reset to factory settings, you'd probably never have noticed as your wired settings would have remained default anyway.

If you changed the default ip from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 then you would though (which I did rather than having to reconnect and reprogram my network printers etc, as you would be back to the .0 octet, and so would no longer be able to communicate with them any more. I did that, as .1 was the default on my old routers provided by VM (and bought seperately)

BenJSmyth
28-11-2011, 13:23
I gave up with my Superhub's routing capabilities as well and stuck it in modem mode and used my own router. Much better throughput and no drop outs either.

I might try it again though if they release new firmware for it in the future. It is nice to have an all in one device but in its current state it isn't reliable or quick enough to support a 100mb connection.