PDA

View Full Version : 50M Possible to revert firmware version on superhub?

Skullcap
11-04-2011, 13:49
Greetings,

so today I've encountered the problems of the R25 firmware update and its causing me the inability to download anything off websites without enabling the firewall setting on the superhub, while this all fine and good for downloads I use internet gaming and the firewall is interfering with that aswell as now starting to show signs of websites not working correctly and even msn messenger.

So confirmation from other threads seems to agree is that the R25 is bugged and confirms its the culprit of the dropouts, is there anyway for me to revert the firmware or am I screwed over with having to enable the firewall on and off for downloads + internet gaming?

Ignitionnet
11-04-2011, 13:54
You cannot revert the firmware.

Chrysalis
11-04-2011, 14:02
I see a fair few posts popping up on VMs forums now. No comment whatsoever also in the beta forum from staff in regards to a rollback.

I think its unlikely as it seems clear to me VM see blocking ssh as more important than useability of the service.

I did read a good post on VMs forums from a guy who is baffled as to why VM have a problem with him fixing his own service by enabling bridge mode himself in ssh.

Skullcap
11-04-2011, 14:16
Thanks ignition, guess I have to deal with the **** poor firmware to they somehow magically fix what they broke from prior firmware to this one. Its quite annoying at this point having to enable and disable the firewall for multiple download sites simply because VM released a firmware to "supposely" fix issues.

Also its interesting to see that the beta testers for the firmware had mentioned this download issues, yet VM ignored it anyway and released the firmware update, so lets see how many weeks/months it takes to fix this issue.

Chrysalis
11-04-2011, 14:17
seems some issues are solved like the download issue by enabling the firewall, but that causes new problems.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/NEW-ISSUE-WITH-SUPERHUB-FIREWALL/m-p/441043#M73642

Skullcap
11-04-2011, 15:02
Yeah, the firewall "fix" allowed me to download from sites, but now its impossible to connect to any online games which require me to send info to and from players while playing matches, along with this I've found I'm incapable of updating virus checker, spyware and windows update is freezing up due to the connection dropout which happens because of the firmware update.

I wouldn't mind if it was a connection issue, but its not, its a firmware update which was inadequately tested and now I and other customers have to suffer with the problem with no defined reponse or date of a fix in the works or a roll back of firmware, the fact it now effects things like windows update and spyware and antivirus should be even a more serious issue for it to be fixed immediately than them focusing on trying to do a security feature.

Skie
11-04-2011, 15:19
Forwarding the ports needed for that game may allow it to work with the firewall enabled.

Personally, I'd be onto the CEO's office and demanding they send out a VMNG300. You would need your own Router, but that is usually preferable on any network as its yours to configure how you like and will have undergone far more testing than the Superhub appears to have.

Skullcap
11-04-2011, 15:46
Port forwarding is the first avenue I took to see if I could get around the firewall problem, but to no success, with the firewall up its just poor to no ability to connect with others, the fact you have to enable the firewall for downloads to work points at a problem area with how the superhub and software is looking at the firewall settings.

I just think its poor customer service and Q&A, beta testers are confirming the issues were reported to VM, but VM have released this firmware regardless of that so they could "fix" a problem related to security, in doing so have effectively crippled the capability of the superhub and connection for the user.

Also to note, I had been having a perfect connection since the 50mb was installed to the firmware came through, so the saying "why fix it if its not broken" comes to mind.

Its even more of a concern that VM remains silent on the matter and does neither to acknowledge or confirm a fix or they are aware of the issue.

AndyCalling
11-04-2011, 16:45
I recently got the R25 firmware. I then reset the router to factory defaults before restoring my saved settings (I always do this as part of a firmware update). With the firewall features switched off I tested, and found I could download the Nvidia graphics card drivers fine, without dropouts. I downloaded them twice to be sure.

I'm flying off on business today so can't check again for a bit, but it seems fine. Perhaps if you try resetting your Superhub to factory defaults you will resolve the problem?

BongMong :)~

Skullcap
11-04-2011, 17:15
Already done the reset to factory settings option a couple of time, doesn't do anything for the problem.

If you don't have the firewall enabled you will get a error on download of "connection to the server has been reset", this has already been reported by others getting the same issue on the VM community site, firewall enabled allows you to download but it then causes other problems with connectivity, ping, ms, websites not loading whatsoever and so forth.

There was no issues with the superhub or connection prior to this new firmware rollout, which has stated has been released even after beta testers mentioned the issues of download and connectivity still being present, also the firmware release R25 has had a very short time in testing, thus the problems which presist now are present and its effecting a decent part of the userbase.

Its not a matter of me or other customers to fix the issue, and after doing all the nessessary checks and resets it still can't be fixed by us but require a change in firmware to alleviate the problem, be it either a revert back to R24 of a emergency fix for R25.

Chrysalis
11-04-2011, 17:28
VM have 2 issues I guess.

1 - a PR diasaster for the superhub if rollback.
2 - how much do they want to keep ssh blocked?

Although this issue should have nothing to do with blocking ssh, so in theory should be possible to do a R24.1 which just has the ssh blocked but no other R25 changes.

Mick Fisher
11-04-2011, 21:03
I'm finding this R25 "connection to the server has been reset" issue can be resolved by using a download manager or maybe I should say I use Slimbrowser and can resolve the superdud issue by using SB's on board download manager.

So far I have only come across the issue once but have not tried to update any OS's or stream any YouTube vids.

IME CableCo in any of it's different Nyms has never managed to get a totally bug free firmware/middleware running in any of it's supplied hardware (with the possible exceptions of the docsis1 modems) so I suppose we shouldn't expect the Leopard to change it's spots. :rolleyes:

craigj2k12
11-04-2011, 22:05
VM have 2 issues I guess.

1 - a PR diasaster for the superhub if rollback.
2 - how much do they want to keep ssh blocked?

Although this issue should have nothing to do with blocking ssh, so in theory should be possible to do a R24.1 which just has the ssh blocked but no other R25 changes.

Im willing to bet that wont happen, the response from VM will be, "wait for the next firmware to be released"

why dont they just allow shh, that would resolve many problems

Skie
11-04-2011, 22:09
Because allowing SSH access is a "security risk".

craigj2k12
11-04-2011, 22:12
Because allowing SSH access is a "security risk".

what could someone possible do with ssh that is considered a security risk??

Ignitionnet
11-04-2011, 22:28

The other side of your router is a cable modem.

Giving a user SSH to their cable modem is a big :nono:

Skie
11-04-2011, 22:29

You would have to ask the genius at VM that!

There is always the possibility they are scared you can change the modems settings via SSH (which didnt seem possible based on the list of commands, it was all standard Netgear router stuff).

vmfriend
11-04-2011, 23:04
Reading between the lines I suspect it's related to the security of the VM service, if you can ssh into the router and the somehow gain privileged access to the modem you 'may' be able to obtain services without paying. I might be wrong though.

Chrysalis
12-04-2011, 03:30
there was always a risk I guess but for VM's PR sake I would have held of blocking ssh until bridge mode was added to the gui and allowed people to overide in the meantime. It is possible some may have successfully altered their modem config's (VM may have known from monitoring) and this made this urgent, but we wont know. I also wouldnt have released a known buggy firmware like r25.

Peter_
12-04-2011, 06:45
Once they realised you could ssh into the hub they would have blocked access as soon as possible for security reasons see Iggi's post above.

Chrysalis
12-04-2011, 08:58
for those hoping for a quick fix, there is no new firmware yet for the beta testers. not even a comment on it.

Blackened
12-04-2011, 14:51
Stumbled across this thread as I now find things like THESE (http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/battlefield1942/demo/win32/) files both come down as 1mb files, a 700mb file on my own server refuses to even start (while ftp pulls it down at less than 20mb - I'm on 30mb) and YouTube stutters to a stop.

WTF has happened..???

Actually, looked in the services page and all the boxes were checked again. Unchecked IPSEC and PPTP Passthrough and everything's working again. :-/

Helix
12-04-2011, 15:00
I wasted a couple of hours this weekend uninstalling and reinstalling flash player and trying different browsers to try and get YouTube to actually play a video the whole way through. Then it turns out its actually a problem with the Superhub firmware, not very happy. The service has been appalling over the past week, 4 area outages since Wednesday. I couldn't even get into the queue on the phone today, it told me there was a 30 min wait and then proceded to hang up on me rather than place me on hold.

Does anyone know if the Twitter team are able to issue VMNG300 modems? I have just sent them an email requesting one due to this YouTube/Download issue, plus informing them that my broadband is cutting out again despite assuring me it will be fixed.

craigj2k12
12-04-2011, 15:09
seems to only be the CEO office able to give out modems, and i dont know whether they will have any left

Skullcap
12-04-2011, 18:45
I called Ind- sorry the call centre earlier and they are running the line that no one has reported the issue, there is nothing wrong with R25 and there is no reported issues with the superhub, plus to really finish it off and got me laughing they said it must be my computer or operating system.

Yes, I'm sure its my operating system and computer when everything was perfectly fine prior to the R25 update coming down the line and my entire connection was just running fine and had zero issues with my superhub prior to this.

I think its disgusting customer support, even all the reports about it on the official VM forums have had zero reply or even a acknowledgement that they noticed the issue.

So like others, I have to enable a firewall on superhub to download, which in term cripples online gaming aswell as other sources, youtube has become usuable aswell as other streaming video sources.

I find it ironic that a firewall feature has to be enabled (which then is checking every single piece of data you sending and recieving) fixes it, yet what it does sounds supiciously like a method to monitor and check what people are downloading? Oh well I suppose that be another way for them to shape and throttle people's connections.

I'm sure some people are fine with a firewall being on, but for what I use and PAY for my connection it interferes with them, for a update to firmware to outright break the BASIC functionality of a connection is unbelievable and reeks of a cowboy job which I though had been left back in the Comcast and NTL era.

Pulling the whole see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil it would seem.

kalleh
12-04-2011, 18:54
This problem was reported on the beta R25 by numerous people on the beta forum obviously proving that VM are listening to our feedback :-)

Milambar
12-04-2011, 19:00
My modem rebooted last night, and first thing I noticed, was I now get the 3mb upstream (2 months earlier than the pdf file said I would).

Second thing I noticed was I had the R25 firmware. I do so hope I'm not going to experience all the problems I am seeing reported here. So far, so good, touch wood *touches head*

Skullcap
12-04-2011, 19:03
This problem was reported on the beta R25 by numerous people on the beta forum obviously proving that VM are listening to our feedback :-)

Wait, what? VM releasing a bugged R25 after being told by beta testers the fault is there is listening to feedback?

theoldbill
12-04-2011, 19:27
I called Ind- sorry the call centre earlier and they are running the line that no one has reported the issue, there is nothing wrong with R25 and there is no reported issues with the superhub, plus to really finish it off and got me laughing they said it must be my computer or operating system.

Yes - even the UK 100meg support team are denying they've had any reports of the file download issue!

So I pointed them to this thread, which also links to a thread on their own boards.

Now they know, let's see how long it takes for a fix :mad:

Helix
12-04-2011, 19:30

Yes, I'm sure its my operating system and computer when everything was perfectly fine prior to the R25 update coming down the line and my entire connection was just running fine and had zero issues with my superhub prior to this.

I think its disgusting customer support, even all the reports about it on the official VM forums have had zero reply or even a acknowledgement that they noticed the issue.

So like others, I have to enable a firewall on superhub to download, which in term cripples online gaming aswell as other sources, youtube has become usuable aswell as other streaming video sources.

I find it ironic that a firewall feature has to be enabled (which then is checking every single piece of data you sending and recieving) fixes it, yet what it does sounds supiciously like a method to monitor and check what people are downloading? Oh well I suppose that be another way for them to shape and throttle people's connections.

I'm sure some people are fine with a firewall being on, but for what I use and PAY for my connection it interferes with them, for a update to firmware to outright break the BASIC functionality of a connection is unbelievable and reeks of a cowboy job which I though had been left back in the Comcast and NTL era.

Pulling the whole see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil it would seem.

I think India hates the new superhub, before they used to just blame it on your router if it wasn't supplied by Virgin. They were always tell me it was my routers fault. Now they are stuck, so they try blaming it on the computer. They have problems because I am on Mac. I tell them this and they either proceed to tell me the instructions for Windows anyway, go silent for ages, or say they will have to look it up and call me back (still waiting for my call back from 6 weeks ago). If Virgin don't support Macs then they need to say so before you sign up.

I'm surprised they knew what Firmware was, I asked them for an update on the Bridge Mode firmware when I was calling about something else, they went away for a few minutes and then came back and told me I must be mistaken there is no such thing. They couldn't explain why a Virgin Media staff member had posted on the Customer Forums about it of course.

Is it really that hard for Virgin to add an issue on their system so when someone searches for Bridge Mode it gives them the script to read out.

Peter_
12-04-2011, 19:42
If Virgin don't support Macs then they need to say so before you sign up.
We do and usually they are easier to connect wirelessly.

Is it really that hard for Virgin to add an issue on their system so when someone searches for Bridge Mode it gives them the script to read out.
I would love to see one of these scripts that everyone talks about.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/13.gif

theoldbill
12-04-2011, 19:56
Masque - it's no good being 'funny' with people about this, why don't you do something more constructive like telling the other guys in your team about this issue so they can't keep saying 'no one has reported anything' just like the line I was fed earlier today.

You're actually in a position to escalate this to whoever so atleast try to help us sort a problem that isn't our fault, I mean we're only the mugs paying for the service.

Peter_
12-04-2011, 20:08
Masque - it's no good being 'funny' with people about this, why don't you do something more constructive like telling the other guys in your team about this issue so they can't keep saying 'no one has reported anything' just like the line I was fed earlier today.

We need calls coming in with issues as I am only a first line agent and if enough come in then a pattern will emerge that will need investigating.

So rather than posting about it here call in and complain if you have an issue.

We do not have scripts so that smiley is correct as it fits in with my comment on scripts as they cannot work in a broadband diagnostics environment and all my calls are tailored to the customer even though I run my checks in a certain sequence but that is just me.

Helix
12-04-2011, 20:21
We need calls coming in with issues as I am only a first line agent and if enough come in then a pattern will emerge that will need investigating.

So rather than posting about it here call in and complain if you have an issue.

We do not have scripts so that smiley is correct as it fits in with my comment on scripts as they cannot work in a broadband diagnostics environment and all my calls are tailored to the customer even though I run my checks in a certain sequence but that is just me.

I agree UK don't have scripts, the UK are normally pretty good - other than the time they told me there was no such team as the Twitter team so I must have been emailing someone pretending to be Virgin Media.

I was referring to India. It is so obvious they are reading from scripts as they won't deviate at all. You try and explain something to them but they just continue reading from the script. Even if you try saying something important like the fact there is no start menu because your on a Mac.

EDIT: I would have reported it if I could actually get in the queue, I tried twice each time getting a message telling me the wait time is 30 mins but then proceeding to disconnect me rather than place me on hold.

Skullcap
12-04-2011, 21:24
To be honest, they should remove india call centre away from the whole tech support side, not is their spoken and listening abilities for english poor the line is normally garbled and extremely quiet or breaking up.

VM counter to this is probably its more cost effective, but well I point to the fact you keep rolling out bigger and larger speeds onto a network which is over subscriber in countless regions in the UK and cannot adequately supply for everyone who signs up, which is clearly evidence to the excessive volume of posts which pop up day after day.

It comes to another story which my mate has been dealing with VM with since last October, he's on ADSL side of VM and there is a fault with equipment which is making disconnects happen regularly plus making anything related to internet gaming impossible with high ms and pings, now its, April 2011 and the issue is still yet to be resolved, 7months and no fix?

Now I sit here wondering, I've called your tech support, I've consulted all your knowledge bases, but to even deny all knowledge that the error is there when your beta testers reported it plus multiple customers are now reporting it is beyond the joke.

But this shall all fall on deft ears, the fix will be weeks to months away and the blame will be bounced around from department to department and the offerings of refund of service will still be issued from Tech India.

Sorry to others, just at this point I can't say I'm happy or satisified with how its been handled, I had a perfectly good connection to Sunday and now its all gone tits up thanks to **** poor firmware and no help is forthcoming.

Chrysalis
13-04-2011, 01:37
VM should be ashamed if they claim to have not had reports, they had reports from the beta testers. Maybe what they mean is they rolled it out and then 'after' they read the feedback so was too late. Or perhaps it was read but they assumed/hoped it was us dumb users fault and not a bug.

What I find ironic is that some people within VM still claim superhub complaints are low, yet if you look at VM's forums it looks like to me that superhub posts are more than utilisation faults, the forum is absolutely swamped with them. For them to outnumber utilisation complaints says a lot.

Does anyone remember my post on here a day or so before it went live I said something along the lines of I hope this firmware version in testing doesnt get released as is very bad.

Helix
13-04-2011, 01:44
What I find ironic is that some people within VM still claim superhub complaints are low, yet if you look at VM's forums it looks like to me that superhub posts are more than utilisation faults, the forum is absolutely swamped with them. For them to outnumber utilisation complaints says a lot.

I agree, even if they are low they must be higher than previous modems. Since I have been with NTL and then Virgin, I don't ever remember going on Forums and seeing post after post complaining about a particular model of modem. There were the odd few when they did speed increases and the older models no longer worked but nothing on the scale of the amount of complaints about the Superhub.

Peter_
13-04-2011, 08:49
EDIT: I would have reported it if I could actually get in the queue, I tried twice each time getting a message telling me the wait time is 30 mins but then proceeding to disconnect me rather than place me on hold.
We have been very busy all week up to now.

---------- Post added at 07:48 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

Now I sit here wondering, I've called your tech support, I've consulted all your knowledge bases, but to even deny all knowledge that the error is there when your beta testers reported it plus multiple customers are now reporting it is beyond the joke.

We have not been fed back on any issues regards the Superhub and the last item was regards the updated firmware which required a reboot, you may be having a problem but I personally have not had anyone complain about the firmware since it was updated last week and I can see if the firmware is in place from our side.

We are more likely to get calls that involve Atheros wireless LAN cards.

---------- Post added at 07:49 ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 ----------

See above.

Chrysalis
13-04-2011, 09:41
yeah but masque you cannot deny whats going on the forums and also everytime I ring VM the person I speak to tells me they had other complaints (I am not only one).

One reason you may not have had the download issue is that it doesnt show itself when the firewall is enabled (default setting).

Peter_
13-04-2011, 10:21
yeah but masque you cannot deny whats going on the forums and also everytime I ring VM the person I speak to tells me they had other complaints (I am not only one).

One reason you may not have had the download issue is that it doesnt show itself when the firewall is enabled (default setting).
I have tried it with and without with no change and this pc is wired directly to the Superhub.

VMRocks
13-04-2011, 10:38
HI GUYS...

Ive had the Super Hub for a while now, I've never had any issues with it excepting the odd outage for Maintenence and one occasion where the Hub switched the wireless facility off in the Hub, I dont quite understand why there seems so many users with ongoing problems..? Any ideas Masque..?

Chrysalis
13-04-2011, 11:14
I have an idea.

We all know the tcp timeout was already low in R20 and then a change was made to make the flood detection more lax so pingtest.net wasnt affected. However I suspect that may have made them worried about the router itself been overloaded and a tune was done downwards on the tcp timeout making it even worse. On a router where this is tunable eg. the dir615, if I set tcp established timeout to something silly like 5 seconds, then I get the exact same symptons of youtube stopping mid stream and downloads halting with connection reset errors.

What I cant explain why is that by some miracle every single VM staff member on this forum has not come across a single issue. Or rather what they would count as an issue.

Skullcap
13-04-2011, 11:41
We have been very busy all week up to now.

---------- Post added at 07:48 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

We have not been fed back on any issues regards the Superhub and the last item was regards the updated firmware which required a reboot, you may be having a problem but I personally have not had anyone complain about the firmware since it was updated last week and I can see if the firmware is in place from our side.

We are more likely to get calls that involve Atheros wireless LAN cards.

---------- Post added at 07:49 ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 ----------

See above.

Yeah, sorry, but thats the same scripted line every VM employee and prior NTL employee gave when a fault popped up, in most cases the information of the fault remains higher up and never got passed down correctly to call centre staff.

To also say you have zero feedback on superhub issues is incredible, have you even visited your companies community support forum?

These are the facts:

1. - R25 went up for beta testing, beta testers reported there were issues with downloads with the firmware release, said firmware would cause drop outs on downloads, interrupt streaming video and other associated problems, a tempory and BUGGED fix was to enable the Firewall Feature of the Superhub, this allowed some downloads to work, but in turn made a number of sites inaccessable, not load up and interferred with connectivity with online gaming aswell a skype.

2. - R25 was released only after having a very short testing period, a couple of weeks at that to lock out SSH, its ironic VM pushes to get SSH locked out for a minority who are cheating the system but the R25 then screws a larger part of the subscriber base.

3. - R25 started being rolled out on the 7th April, it reached me personally on the 9th, prior to the 9th I had no problems with what I wrote in point 1, nore did I require to use a firewall or need it toggled on, AFTER the update comes through, everything goes tits up.

4. - Call centre staff have no clue as to what even firmware is, when mentioned they go off for 5-10mins then come back and deny there isn't firmware, its YOUR fault, your computer, your operating system and the scripted line that There is no faults reported on our system

Now tell me, as a customer who has been with the company since the days it existed as Comcast, who has upgraded to 50meg, who has got your god blessed Superhub and had perfectly fine service up to a firmware rollout, what do I do hmm?

India won't send a engineer out because they see no fault, I'm not going to pay for a engineer to come out and check the modem when I already know what the fault is plus I don't see why I should in the first place, plus the rampant blind ignorance and fingers in ears with LALALALA sung by VM staff right across the board does little to help.

Yeah, I'm ****ed off at this point, getting fed the same scripted BS only goes so far before ones patience as a customer wears thin.

Atleast instead of keep saying there is no issues, how about you go point this thread and all the others on your community site to someone higher up in your department.

Chrysalis
13-04-2011, 11:45
the testing wasnt 2 weeks was more like 2 days :p

order of events something like this.

1 - R24 tested 1-2 weeks. No new problems that didnt exist in R20 other then some minor cosmetic issues.
2 - Then a gap with no test firmware.
3 - R25 arrives official change from R24 security changes, the other 2 items you guys see in changelog were in R24. However it is clear R25 has more than just the SSH change.
4 - After approx 2-3 days suddenly I read on here the firmware is live.
5 - VM did post to beta testers reported issues are been looked into but this was after they made R25 live. Too late. Thats the last comment made from VM to testers.

Things go wrong, this is why we have beta testing so as a beta tester I have no real complaints about the bug it happens, but to release it in that state is unacceptable.

VM are doing BT a favour at the moment, giving customers reasons to leave.

darkm
13-04-2011, 12:11
Yeah, sorry, but thats the same scripted line every VM employee and prior NTL employee gave when a fault popped up, in most cases the information of the fault remains higher up and never got passed down correctly to call centre staff.

To also say you have zero feedback on superhub issues is incredible, have you even visited your companies community support forum?

These are the facts:

1. - R25 went up for beta testing, beta testers reported there were issues with downloads with the firmware release, said firmware would cause drop outs on downloads, interrupt streaming video and other associated problems, a tempory and BUGGED fix was to enable the Firewall Feature of the Superhub, this allowed some downloads to work, but in turn made a number of sites inaccessable, not load up and interferred with connectivity with online gaming aswell a skype.

2. - R25 was released only after having a very short testing period, a couple of weeks at that to lock out SSH, its ironic VM pushes to get SSH locked out for a minority who are cheating the system but the R25 then screws a larger part of the subscriber base.

3. - R25 started being rolled out on the 7th April, it reached me personally on the 9th, prior to the 9th I had no problems with what I wrote in point 1, nore did I require to use a firewall or need it toggled on, AFTER the update comes through, everything goes tits up.

4. - Call centre staff have no clue as to what even firmware is, when mentioned they go off for 5-10mins then come back and deny there isn't firmware, its YOUR fault, your computer, your operating system and the scripted line that There is no faults reported on our system

Now tell me, as a customer who has been with the company since the days it existed as Comcast, who has upgraded to 50meg, who has got your god blessed Superhub and had perfectly fine service up to a firmware rollout, what do I do hmm?

India won't send a engineer out because they see no fault, I'm not going to pay for a engineer to come out and check the modem when I already know what the fault is plus I don't see why I should in the first place, plus the rampant blind ignorance and fingers in ears with LALALALA sung by VM staff right across the board does little to help.

Yeah, I'm ****ed off at this point, getting fed the same scripted BS only goes so far before ones patience as a customer wears thin.

Atleast instead of keep saying there is no issues, how about you go point this thread and all the others on your community site to someone higher up in your department.

have to agree with that, the vast majority of people I have spoke to on the phone have a serious lack of knowledge of the products and services that they support, would even go as far as saying that I know more about Virgin that alot of the staff do...

I also came across a tech agent who didnt know what firmware was when explaining my issue.

Over the last month I have had the worst customer experience ever and all due to failures from agents not able to self think and understand a problem. Simple logic would tell you this other than a a green light on the screen telling you the ubr is fine and it must be an issue your side.

Peter_
13-04-2011, 12:12

As I keep saying we have no scripts as they do not work in a fault environment and we can only go by what the company tell us with regards any issues.

As for me pointing out what is said on a forum all I would be told is that you need to call in to register a fault as we have no account details to collate issues.

As I keep saying call in and complain if you are suffering any issues because otherwise no one will ever know about them and remember the vast majority of users have no issues with the hubs especially when you consider how many have been issued since the rollout.

Skullcap
13-04-2011, 12:30
Sigh, you know, I have already said I rang in, to be presented with call centre staff who don't understand what I'm even speaking of, I've also rang in and requested a engineer to be told there is no visible fault in the area, so to have a engineer out to look at the superhub would mean I get a charge. Why should I get charged when its clearly obvious a fault with the firmware?

Neither do I have the time to waste on ringing the help line, since either you can't get through because your lines or so busy with problems, you get in the queue, its 30 + minutes, you get in said queue, get a response, then get disconnected. You get in said queue, get a response, get a tech who comes back to you to then speak poor english, the line be garbled, quiet and so forth.

You say to ring in, I have, 5 times since sunday, same answer, same problem, same denial that there is no issue, the evidence and my own experience proves otherwise, everything I see points to a fault with the firmware and also the firewall feature which were not evident with the prior version of the firmware.

Yet again I must point out, I was a perfectly happy customer with the Superhub with no problems untill a firmware update renders my service to a mere fraction of its capacity and working.

If the issue still remains by Monday nextweek I'm sure Watchdog UK will take keen interest in the situation.

Neo-Tech
13-04-2011, 18:36
Well, I know this might not be helping. But I have the R25 firmware and downloads, Skype all work fine :/

Yesterday, I had a Skype call running, 2 downloads running at full speed with no issues at all. Firewall is on and IP Flood Protection is as well. Unless it's a hardware issue? Who knows.

Skullcap
13-04-2011, 18:51
If you have the firewall toggled on, no download problems will happen, but certain websites and other internet connectivity will get effected, as noted in one of my prior posts, the bugged work around is to enable the firewall feature, but thats not a solution to a problem introduced by R25.

Neo-Tech
13-04-2011, 18:57
Could you give us some URLs? As a heavy browser and downloader myself, I haven't noticed websites not working.

AndyCalling
13-04-2011, 19:22
I agree, I have the firewall turned off on the router, I have the R25 firmware and I can't find one of these files that won't download. They must be quite rare. Where are the URLs that trigger this? Why is everyone so quick to post but so reticent to provide an example that we can test?

Someone mentioned the large ATi driver download, and I've tested both that and the Nvidia driver download and I can confirm they both work fine with no errors.

I have done the Windows 7 Update on two PCs which was quite big as there were a number of updates released in the past few days including NET framework 4 and they went flawlessly on both PCs.

So, folks, how on earth are we supposed to trigger this supposedly universal flaw? Currently the evidence is not easy to find as it seems to be not universally replicable. It remains possible a router setting you have different to mine is giving you grief. Experimentation with your router settings is worth considering before giving up.

Helix
13-04-2011, 19:35
I had trouble with Office 2011 for Mac SP1. It downloaded what seemed like the full file, the size was correct but wouldn't open. Had to play around with the settings and re download a few times to get a working copy.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=EF1E612F-D8E3-4628-9FE4-AD136F0DEBD3&displaylang=en

Skullcap
13-04-2011, 20:08
I download from relicnew's forums which requires membership to download dawn of war 2 replays, if the firewall is not toggled on the superhub menu under services it brings up

"Cannot download from IPofdownloadlink. The connection with the server has been reset"

Youtube videos will run for 37-40secs before they freeze if the firewall setting isn't enabled on the superhub service menu, enabling it allows you to watch the video.

Service list on the Superhub:

Firewall Feature - Off
Ipsec PassThrough - On
PPTP PassThrough - On
Multicast Enable - On
Port Scan Detection - Off
IP Flood Detection - Off

I don't have IP flood detection and firewall on for the pure and simple reason that it induces high ms and ping spikes in online gaming.

I tried firewall on, ip sec on, pptp on, multicast on, port scan off, ip flood off, downloads work, websites sometimes work, don't work, slow load, 404, high ms, high ping. Windows Live messenger starts to report connectivity issues.

Firewall off, websites fine, youtube videos don't work, streaming video doesn't work.

I never had to mess around with resetting to factory setting or ANY of the services options prior to Sunday when R25 was updated on my Superhub. I'm in the Northeast Teeside area if that is even more information you need.

So again, tell me, why a firewall feature enabled, which wasn't enabled before prior to a firmware update is required to be toggled to return a internet service which had no issues before said update for it to work marginally at the same level it was before?

Also, FYI, ringing tech support, which I get told to go deal with results in "there is no fault in the area" and refusal of sending a engineer to check the superhub without charging me for the service.

I work by a process of elimination, always have and used it in my job in the past, I have eliminated all avenues and know its not anything done or updated, windows 7 hasn't updated for me either its been fine, there is no anti virus or spyware software interferring with the connection nore is there any viruses of spyware on the system at this time. I have replaced the ethernet cable between the computer and modem twice, I've checked 3 different laptops to get the same results with the firewall toggled on and off.

Neither do I have download managers or any popup blockers effecting website browsing.

I'm a calm person normally, but having to do so much stuff and analyze just to have a connection which was ok 4-5days is just stress inducing.

Mick Fisher
13-04-2011, 22:06
Could you give us some URLs? As a heavy browser and downloader myself, I haven't noticed websites not working.
This download for mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html) trips the connection reset bug for me everytime.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I am using Slimbrowser and the superdud's firewall and ip flood is OFF.

Daveoc64
13-04-2011, 22:15
I'm getting "The connection was connection reset" a lot when iTunes is downloading things since the R25 update.

YouTube streaming seems unreliable.

Other downloads seem to be ok.

I'd rather have the odd iTunes download mess up (which I avoid as much as I can anyway) than put up with unreliable Skype or Gaming.

I have the firewall features off.

Chrysalis
14-04-2011, 06:35
I dont think its any specific files, it sometimes bugged out and sometimes didnt.

for me common culprits were.

1 - video streaming sites, 2 affected were youtube and theguardian. The sympton been that the stream will stop downloading and the video player will report it fully downloaded (full bar) but of course the playing stops at the point of failure before the end.
2 - if try to download affected videos from youtube it will abort with a connection reset by peer or if you lucky it will stall and then carry on after a long pause.
3 - the paris speedtest, seems to be vulnerable to the problem, for me about 70-80% of time it stalled midway through test and then after about a minute resumed itself to finish off with a low speedtest result.
4 - on ftp downloads I had around a 30-40% failure rate on files that were 50meg in size, I queued about 20 up and about 8 had to abort and resume to finish off, some of them multiple times.

If you just web browsing and/or downloading small files the problem probably will not show itself, it appears to be a firewall off only problem as well. It doesnt show up on every youtube video it isnt a 100% hitrate, so turning the firewall off and trying a single video is not a proper test. I had sometimes watched 20 or so videos without issue but then could get 4 or 5 in a row after all with issues. The guardian was 1 watched and 1 failed.

This is defenitly a bug it cannot be denied, there is far too many confirmations of the problem, as like a lot of bugs it wont affect everyone, software bugs can be like that. People who arent affected by it need to stop thinking its not a bug because they havent seen it. I confirmed it by a very simple process, at the time when testing R25 I had the ability to rollback to R20 by using the reset to defaults option in the GUI, I did this and after rolling back to R20 all the issues immediatly related to this problem were gone. Then came back when I updated to the R25 live version. I can also confirm they are gone on the VMNG300 as well. I didnt reboot my pc or anything in between, the only thing that changed was modem/router side.

theoldbill
14-04-2011, 10:46
Examples of 'connection reset' downloads that don't work without firewall features enabled?

Try any of these (these refuse to start all of the time);

http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/

During my bit of testing, on two seperate machines, one XP Pro the other Win 7 Ultimate, BOTH machines suffered the same problem on certain files. I say certain because some files will point blank refuse to start every time, others may start if you hammer them a few times and others generally will download at first attempt.

We're talking sites like Microsoft (Silverlight download point blank refused) as well as some cyber lockers.

When I switched to my DSL line here, the issue went away - and I used this to base my final conclusion that it wasn't PC nor network, but "Super" hub :mad:

Hope this helps.

Skullcap
14-04-2011, 11:31
Does not take very long to browse the 3-4 pages of both the cable fibre optic forum and the 50 mb forum parts of the official community help centre to see the threads popping up complaining about the youtube problems and download issues, each user has the superhub, each user had it upgraded with R25.

I suppose the blanket statement there is no complaints about R25are true, if i t wasn't for the fact the threads are there buried under the avalanche of other superhub problem threads like: "slow internet speed" "slow web browsing" "gaming packet loss is high" "poor download speed {insertareacode}" which ironically all of them say "I have the Superhub, here is my levels, blah blah".

The fact VM hasn't even made ANY kind of statement since the problem started to crop up at the weekend and threads started to pop up is unbelievable, nore can I excuse the fact non of the threads which started up on the community site about the firewall problems and R25 get any attention to. There is no proof to say they are working on it or even considering it, and yet were here, paying for a service which worked fine and is now broke due to a update, people have given links, given there own experiences, how it effects, yet still there is denial there is a problem.

But anyway, I've had enough of fighting for my money worth, I'm looking at other ISPs and I've dropped a line in with Watchdog UK. I've been a customer since the Comcast era, I've paid plenty of money and had a pretty trouble free service up untill the Superhub era. Probably also seems insignificant that I would no longer be a VM customer, but I'll spread word of mouth to family of what kind of service I got and they will pass it to others.

Reputation is everything for business, if you can't respect your long standing customers who pay money, especially in these difficult economical times, then why should you reap the benefits.

hifi2007
14-04-2011, 15:04
not had many problems sinse ive upgraded to 100 meg
its been great and the hub seems to have been fine
however sinse sunday im getting very bad connection problems
utube for me constantly buffers
between the hours 5pm and 12 am my connection to newsgroups servers is terriable with a whoppuing 12kbps upstream no matter which port i choose.
i dont download very often between those hours but getting a whopping 2 meg max out of my news provider
between 12 am and 1pm my connection is solid utube is fantastic
it all starts to go wrong at 1pm by the time 5pm comes its pointless using my connection for things like utube,msn.skpe, and gaming, but as soon as 12am comes perfect
when ive got abit more time tomoorow i will be on the phone to downgrade back to 30 meg within my vip package
i now dont see the need to pay more for the same

AndyCalling
14-04-2011, 20:09
I've done it! I've managed to find a way to trigger this. My Pure Evoke Flow internet radio.

With R25 and with firewall off it will play internet radio streams and BBC listen again content. It will play hardly any podcasts however. It will connect and then drop straight away.

With firewall on it will stream the podcasts fine.

I shall be informing Pure as I'm sure they will want to engage VM about why their products are being jammed.

Neo-Tech
14-04-2011, 20:36
All those links work perfectly for me, lol.

I'm reformatting my machine this weekend, and will do doing some heavy downloading throughout. I'll see if anything times out then!

Skullcap
14-04-2011, 21:46
Well it seems VM isn't blinded by ignorance:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Super-Hub-R25-Firmware-Issues-14-04-11/td-p/446313

Only took them a entire week to acknowledge it, but to say it wasn't noticed in the beta is BS when beta testers have said they posted about it in the beta sections.

pip08456
14-04-2011, 21:59
Only affects the idiots using IE therefore not an issue.

AndyCalling
14-04-2011, 22:27

No, it doesn't. It affects Pure internet radios as well. I'll bet it affects other things too, just not acknologed by VM yet. I PMed the chap who posted the announcement on the VM forums so he can correct his statement. I also mentioned this here a few posts back...

Helix
14-04-2011, 22:54
There is a thread created on the Community forums, in response to the announcement: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Reply-to-Super-Hub-R25-Firmware-Issues-14-04-11/td-p/446375

I have made their life easier as well by adding a post with a link back to here, as well as a list of all the thread on their own site mentioning the issue which they have of course ignored as not one has had an official response.

Chrysalis
15-04-2011, 06:49

it affects all browsers pip as well as ftp and nntp. That post is misleading to say the least.

Daveoc64
15-04-2011, 18:42

Perhaps when downloading files with a web browser it's more likely to be a problem with IE, but it affects a LOT more outside of that.

I've had "incomplete" downloads with Google Chrome.

I'd also guess that the vast majority of Superhub users are using IE, so it most definitely is an issue.

pip08456
16-04-2011, 14:09
it affects all browsers pip as well as ftp and nntp. That post is misleading to say the least.

Yet when using FF4 on my VM connection I see no issues. I'll do some ftp'ing later to see if that's affected.

Chrysalis
16-04-2011, 14:37
Yet when using FF4 on my VM connection I see no issues. I'll do some ftp'ing later to see if that's affected.

ok I will change to ff3.6 and IE8 both affected for me as well as ftprush flashfxp ftp clients. Users have reported FF (not specificed version) affected on beta and live forums and nntp affected.

Helix
16-04-2011, 14:46
I had the flash player problems in FF4, Chrome 12 and Safari 5.0.5

The download issue I have only seen in Chrome 12.

Are they still issuing the R25 update to customers? Now there is a problem I would have hoped they have stopped for those that are still on R24 but this is Virgin Media we are talking about.

AndyCalling
17-04-2011, 00:56
I have noticed that R25 with firewall on gives trouble for loads of web pages. Firewall off and they work. R20 didn't make all these web pages die when you turned the firewall on. This makes working around the download bug extra annoying.