PDA

View Full Version : US Timeline Falling Skies : Season 1

Paul
26-03-2011, 01:24
Trailer for Falling Skies ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVLKYBVOXxQ

Welshchris
26-03-2011, 04:26
What the hell is it with film makers all they wanna seem to do is focus on appocaliptic subjects and its tiresome and old.

Flyboy
30-03-2011, 22:00
Sounds a bit like "V" to me.

Paul
10-04-2011, 14:56
Another trailer ;

http://thevoiceoftv.com/blog/falling-skies-video-aliens-attack/33511

Stuart
10-04-2011, 15:29
What the hell is it with film makers all they wanna seem to do is focus on appocaliptic subjects and its tiresome and old.

They do that. Someone finds either a gimmick or a new formula for drama, and everyone suddenly thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread and slots it in anywhere they can.

How many films used "Bullet Time" after "The Matrix"? How many series and films used a lot of computer generated Lens Flare after "Babylon 5"? How many series used computer generated camera shake for their SFX shots after "Battlestar Galactica" or handheld cameras after the same series?

After 2001, how many SF films had bright, well lit, colourful, sterile looking spaceship interiors? After Star Wars, how many films had dark, grimy, old looking spaceship interiors?

Another thing Battlestar introduced to SF that I don't think is entirely realistic is an almost complete lack of humour. I say it's not realistic simply because especially in highly stressful and bleak situations (like war), people do use humour to try and make themselves feel better. They don't act like the cast of Battlestar.

Anyhow, back on subject.

I'll give the series a chance. It has at least one good actor in it's cast (Noah Wyle from ER), and had good special FX. Trouble is, even if something has an excellent cast (which Outcasts did) , and excellent special FX (which Outcasts didn't), if it has a crap story, it's still a crap production.

Mick Fisher
10-04-2011, 17:01
They do that. Someone finds either a gimmick or a new formula for drama, and everyone suddenly thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread and slots it in anywhere they can.

How many films used "Bullet Time" after "The Matrix"? How many series and films used a lot of computer generated Lens Flare after "Babylon 5"? How many series used computer generated camera shake for their SFX shots after "Battlestar Galactica" or handheld cameras after the same series?

After 2001, how many SF films had bright, well lit, colourful, sterile looking spaceship interiors? After Star Wars, how many films had dark, grimy, old looking spaceship interiors?

Another thing Battlestar introduced to SF that I don't think is entirely realistic is an almost complete lack of humour. I say it's not realistic simply because especially in highly stressful and bleak situations (like war), people do use humour to try and make themselves feel better. They don't act like the cast of Battlestar.

Anyhow, back on subject.

I'll give the series a chance. It has at least one good actor in it's cast (Noah Wyle from ER), and had good special FX. Trouble is, even if something has an excellent cast (which Outcasts did) , and excellent special FX (which Outcasts didn't), if it has a crap story, it's still a crap production.
It's that mysterious and unquantifiable something.

With it low budget, no story carp becomes cult viewing.

Without it even big budget all star shows get quickly canned.

Sadly, whatever it is, it seems in pretty short supply these days. :(

Kymmy
20-06-2011, 15:41
Downloaded and watching as I type...

First 5 minutes sets the scene perfectly :D

Stuart
20-06-2011, 15:44
Is that good or bad though?

Kymmy
20-06-2011, 15:53
Nice to have the background without trying to second guess what the plot will be..

Only thing that does worry me is that we've seen the same type of scenario in other tv series including recent sub-plots and I wonder if this one will have something special to carry it through

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Is it me or is that my favorite doctor from ER???

Scary
20-06-2011, 16:30
ive just watched it now and think it is quite good does remind me a bit of the walking dead but instead of zombies it has aliens.

Mick Fisher
20-06-2011, 18:05
ive just watched it now and think it is quite good does remind me a bit of the walking dead but instead of zombies it has aliens.
Zombies, Aliens, Vampires, it's getting kinda hard to distinguish between 'em nowadays.

I'll check this out sometime. It's on my HDD but I'm in no rush to watch it.

I have low expectations so I won't be disappointed. Hopefully I will be surprised. :shocked:

Kymmy
20-06-2011, 18:45
It honestly started off a lot better than some of the series which I've enjoyed watching..

I really enjoyed it..

Tezcatlipoca
20-06-2011, 19:04
Review of Falling Skies by Mo Ryan: http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/16/falling-skies-summer-sci-fi-shows/

Sounds like it goes downhill after the pilot...

dilli-theclaw
20-06-2011, 23:10
I just watched it and it was /ok/ but nothing new. Still I shall most likely sit and watch them as they come out.

Incidentally it's going to be on FX in the uk the week commencing 10th July.

Paul
21-06-2011, 00:45
It's on my HDD but I'm in no rush to watch it.

I have low expectations so I won't be disappointed. Hopefully I will be surprised. :shocked:
Ditto.

Stuart
21-06-2011, 00:48
Just watched this. It's OK, but not great. It seems to be just a typical Apocalyptic survivor type show (see The Walking Dead, Survivors etc). The Pilot certainly met some of the criteria. The main characters were part of a middle class sort of group who (obviously) have had to adapt. The second group is the "redneck" group who are just running round, getting drunk, shooting at everything (mainly aliens, but the odd human too) and bordering on acting like Characters from "Deliverance". Neither group is anything we haven't seen in other series of this type before.

Don't get me wrong. This looks like it could be a good series, so I will give it a good go.

I do hope, however, that it doesn't go down the route followed by many Science Fiction shows since the BSG reboot. That of having characters who appear permanently depressed, and depressing storylines.

Mick Fisher
21-06-2011, 13:46
I persevere with TV SF and just when I really get into a series BLAM!! it gets canned. :(

Geez I watched every ep of that last awful BBC attempt :shocked: (whose name I can't recall ATM) and even that picked up in the last two eps before the inevitable canning.

If this does turn out to be watchable lets just hope it reaches a planned conclusion instead.

roger skillin
21-06-2011, 15:23
i just watched the first 2 episodes of this, yes its simlar to some plots but very different in some ways and i quite liked it so will be catching episode 3.

Also been watching Chaos, another good US series, they stopped it after 3 episodes but have started it up again, it's a pretty good watch if you like action/comedy

Paul
30-06-2011, 02:20
I watched the first half of the first week (so effectivly ep 1) and then had to put it on hold to do something. As yet I havnt had a burning desire to return to it, which says alot to me. TBH it wasnt very compelling. Another "my child has been alien-napped" plot - seriously ? I guess I may get back to it at some point.

Mick Fisher
30-06-2011, 12:47
After watching the whole of the Pilot I, too, have no overwhelming desire to watch Ep03.

It seems to be just another post apocolyptic survival scenario that is unlikely to bring anything new to the table.

On a side note re. the aliens. Does anyone think it strange that a highly advanced star travelling society had failed to invent clothes or even a harness with pockets where they might stow additional weapons, tools, powerpacks? ETC. It seems Aliens however advanced are mostly portrayed as naturists. :D

Kymmy
30-06-2011, 12:50
Ep3 wasn't bad.. it portrayed the way the aliens want to take the conflict.. I suppose that not having many pre-conceptions or expectation sof the series has helped as I can see some of the people who crave special effects are going to be disappointed with the cost limitations

Maggy
01-07-2011, 10:12
It's coming to FX next week..I'll take a look..

12noon
04-07-2011, 06:26
I think it starts on Tuesday on FX. I've set it to record.

Pierre
06-07-2011, 15:42
It was alright.

I thought the design of the Aliens and their mechanical counterparts was pretty poor.

I'll see where it goes.

Paul
06-07-2011, 17:46
I havent motivated myself to watch Ep2 yet, May end up not bothering.

Mick Fisher
06-07-2011, 19:26
I havent motivated myself to watch Ep2 yet, May end up not bothering.
I have watched it and think you have the right idea.

It's not the worst thing I have ever tried to watch but I honestly can't think of anything else to say in it's favour.

Derek
08-07-2011, 17:06
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/falling-skies-tv-series-season-two-20283/

Already renewed for a second season.

Maggy
08-07-2011, 17:33
A first opening episode to a new series can sometimes try to do too much.I'll take a look at the second and then make up my mind.

Paul
08-07-2011, 18:12
Hmm, well if a second season is planned as well, I guess I may have to take another look.

Mick Fisher
08-07-2011, 20:19
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/falling-skies-tv-series-season-two-20283/

Already renewed for a second season.
Unbelievable....

I guess it must be as really cheap to make as it looks. :(

Maggy
09-07-2011, 10:01
Unbelievable....

I guess it must be as really cheap to make as it looks. :(

What, even cheaper than Dr Who?:)

Mick Fisher
09-07-2011, 13:18
What, even cheaper than Dr Who?:)
I gave up on watching Dr Who ages ago. IMO Smith and Gillum are the worst Dr, Companion pairing of all time.

From what I can remember, it is probably a close run thing. :)

cupcakes aka dd
01-09-2011, 23:58
Has the UK run finished at S1 Ep10. There don't seem to be any more on the EPG or my Series link. Was just getting interesting.

MovedGoalPosts
02-09-2011, 00:43
imdb only shows 10 episodes for season 1.

I agree it's got better as the series progresses.

As for Dr Who all I can now say is why bother. It's just too confused and complex intertwined that I suspect most viewers have no idea what it is they are actually watching :(

Mick Fisher
02-09-2011, 11:13
imdb only shows 10 episodes for season 1.

I agree it's got better as the series progresses.
Yes I agree with that but I still class it as disappointing. I find the acting wooden and the characters cardboard. As a consequence I find I don't give a hoot about any of them. I suppose having come this far I will watch future Eps but if the seies was canned I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

As for Dr Who all I can now say is why bother. It's just too confused and complex intertwined that I suspect most viewers have no idea what it is they are actually watching :(
I gave up on Dr Who ages ago. I won't bother again until they get rid of Smith and his companion, whatever her name is. Quite the worst double act I can remember having the misfortune to witness IMHO.

Paul
02-09-2011, 16:03
Has the UK run finished at S1 Ep10. There don't seem to be any more on the EPG or my Series link. Was just getting interesting.
Season 1 only had ten eps, as will season 2 as well.

Maggy
02-09-2011, 19:13
I gave up on Dr Who ages ago. I won't bother again until they get rid of Smith and his companion, whatever her name is. Quite the worst double act I can remember having the misfortune to witness IMHO.

No the worst Dr Who double act was Sylvester McCoy and the two assistants that were associated with him.I blame his attempt at the the role for the demise of the original series.

Mick Fisher
03-09-2011, 11:59
No the worst Dr Who double act was Sylvester McCoy and the two assistants that were associated with him.I blame his attempt at the the role for the demise of the original series.
You may well be right but I can neither agree nor disagree. :(

Hmmm.. McCoy 1987 to 1989 (according to Wikipedia). Let's see that's about 20 odd years ago. I am sure I had better things to do than watching Dr Who in those days which would explain why I cannot recall having the misfortune of viewing said debacle.

I remember the very early years, Hartnell, Troughton and possibly a bit of Pertwee. The comes a long break till I remember watching again with McGann, Ecclestone and Tenant and then discovering that I cannot stand Smith & Gillan.

It's not only Smith & Gillan but it seemed to me that the storylines took a big dip when they took over the roles.

So I'm on a break again. :)

Paul
03-09-2011, 14:13
Rubbish !

The Doctor and Ace were a great team. :cool:

Pierre
04-09-2011, 19:35
Rubbish !

The Doctor and Ace were a great team. :cool:

I thought this thread was about Falling Skies ??

Which I thought was actually better than was going to be. Looking forward to the next season.