PDA

View Full Version : Does VM traffic manage net radio streams ?

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
31-03-2011, 17:01
I know that VM are seriously limiting peer 2 peer transfers, but I suspect there are a lot more types of traffic they are limiting in order to provide users with acceptable speeds when they run a speedtest.

I cannot stream to, or even listen to net radio stations for the past few weeks, without the stream constantly cutting out and buffering.

I pay for 20MB down and 2MB up, but I cannot listen to a low bitrate net radio like 128kbps without buffers, yet when I do a speedtest the speeds are normal. Before anyone suggests its my PC like some indian call centre twerp, its the same on both laptops and a tower. I have been streaming to shoutcast servers for 9 years, and listenting to net radio for 10 years, but now I am on the fastest speed I have ever been, it seems like something else is the culprit, and my moneys on Virgin Media limiting anything they can get away with, just to free up bandwidth because they cant provide everyone with what they are paying for.

dgcarter
31-03-2011, 18:04
I'm currently listening to NDR Kultur on my 10mb connection with no problems. Perhaps it's a problem with your software.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
31-03-2011, 20:14
Its not a problem with the software mate thankyou for your suggestion.
I have 4 different PC's, and when the streams start to buffer on one, I can try listening on any of the other 3 and its the same thing.
I am convinced VM are experimenting with throttling / limiting other types of net traffic, and not just peer2peer stuff, or newsgroups etc.
Where you are obviously isnt being limited for net radio streams (yet), and mine is fine some nights, but other nights I cannot stream a 128kbps mp3 stream to a shoutcast server as part of the net radio station I help run, nor can I listen to a 128kbps stream coming from it, or any other station, so something ois definately not right, and it aint my PC's because its the same for all at the same time.
I cannot see how my modem or router would let me have a fast connection to things like speedtest sites, yet not allow me to listen to shoutcast audio streams can you ?

craigj2k12
01-04-2011, 11:48
they cant just manage different protocols without saying anything....

then again, they did with the p2p stuff for a few weeks without making an announcement

what software is it that your using, the vm techs will be able to tell you if itws being throttled then

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
01-04-2011, 16:21
I use either the shoutcast dsp plug-in for winamp media player to stream to a shoutcast server, or the simplecast program to stream to an icecast server (not at the same time !).
When listening to net radio, I use either winamp media player, or the sites built-in players. All stations broadcast on different ports, so it's obviously a blanket thing with streaming audio for me.
It was fine last night after a certain time in the evening, cant remember exactly when, and my pings also came down to 50-80ms on speedtest.net (which is good for me at the moment, pings have been 150-200 when the audio buffering happens).
I ordered an upgrade to 50MB/XXL anyway (engineer comes on thursday), will see if things improve or if its a general problem with my area.