PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media dreadful support

anc1en7z
26-03-2011, 16:06
Hi,

I woke up this morning, switched on my Internet Epuipment (Dir615 & Modem) and I kept getting errors in Chrome, not letting me view webpages.

So i spend 30 minutes restarting, resetting the equipment, no solution.

So then I rang up virgin media support, spend 40 minutes on the phone to someone faaar away, telling me that I need to reboot my laptop etc etc.

In the end, she admits its virgin media's problem, that my modem is not handing out IP addresses correctly. It should be giving them out in the range of 192.168.100.x but its giving them out in the range 169.xxx.xxx.xxx

She tells me that she's spoken to her supervisor and that engineers are working on my line, and that I will get a call back in 30 mins to tell me that the problem has been fixed.

An hour and a half later no call back, so i ring up virgin media support again, and speak to someone, again faar away, who tells me to reboot my modem, by this point I have had enough. I told him that I have been through this with another collegaue of his and he never listened atall!

Instead he insisted I was wrong and that the equipment on my side has malfunctioned, but my 2 laptops, and wireless router all do not connect.

So i insisted on speaking to his supervisor, in the end he game in and put me on a waiting list of 1hr, an hour and a half later, now, still no ring back, and no broadband

Nopanic
26-03-2011, 16:18
That's not good ..

If you are connecting to a router and getting a 169, its either the router or the PC. A 169 is a lack of IP leasing not something given out by the device.

Turn off the modem and for the sake of simplification the PC too, Connect the PC to the modem directly and boot them.

See if that works... if you get a 169, you know its something PC side, if you get online, its the router.

Chances of you having a problem with the router and the modem to both give you a 169 are tiny.

Chrysalis
26-03-2011, 17:48
actually if I am not mistaken you will get 169 when the modem itself cannot get an ip from VM. This could be for various reasons I guess, I seen it before at my sister's when her bill wasnt paid (suspended service), a dhcp outage would probably cause this also. So to me if I am right its either suspended service or a VM outage.

However since you have the dir615 I would assume its the dir615 getting the 169 ip and your lan ip's will be fine.

Ignitionnet
26-03-2011, 17:48
You're mistaken, the modem has an internal DHCP server and gives out short 192.168.100 / 24 leases if unable to get a lease from VM for its client.

Chrysalis
26-03-2011, 17:51
ok so the modem has 169 ip but gives a 192.168.100 to router? I know that I seen it been assigned 169 as a VM ip before when my sisters connection got suspended. Also the same thing happens if I plug in my old docsis1 modem, that gets a 169 ip.

bonzoe
26-03-2011, 18:16
Possibly a faulty network cable/connection to PC? Or loose connection at one end of local network cable?

anc1en7z
26-03-2011, 19:02
Thanks, but I've tried EVERYTHING,
and im not suspended :)

connecting to the modem alone,
connecting a router to a modem,

ive also tried connecting my laptop to the dir615, and thats getting a 169 ip so im beginning to think its the laptop(s).

Ive also tried several different cables and im now about to pull out my hair and reinstall win 7

Chrysalis
26-03-2011, 19:06
so your lan devices are getting 169 not the router?

if its suddenly all your laptops doing it at once then its more likely the router unless you changed something on the laptops all at the same time.

are you able to login to the router or modem? if yes check the wan ip on both.

anc1en7z
26-03-2011, 19:08
No,

The 2 laptops and router get a bad ip address from the modem

The 2 laptops get a bad ip address from the router

GazCBG
26-03-2011, 19:21
So have you tried doing a direct connection to the modem.
Laptop <----> Modem

So the router is Not being used.

Does it work then?
Also you will need to restart the modem.

Nopanic
26-03-2011, 19:26
If you open up the command prompt and do an ipconfig /renew you will get an error.

What is that error ?

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

actually if I am not mistaken you will get 169 when the modem itself cannot get an ip from VM. This could be for various reasons I guess, I seen it before at my sister's when her bill wasnt paid (suspended service), a dhcp outage would probably cause this also. So to me if I am right its either suspended service or a VM outage.

However since you have the dir615 I would assume its the dir615 getting the 169 ip and your lan ip's will be fine.

You're mistaken, the modem has an internal DHCP server and gives out short 192.168.100 / 24 leases if unable to get a lease from VM for its client.

I think it depends on the modem. The none hubs will give the PC / Router a 169 if they don't have a valid lease. You wouldn't see a 192 from these modems.

Peter_
26-03-2011, 21:41
You could try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196

anc1en7z
27-03-2011, 11:06
so your lan devices are getting 169 not the router?

if its suddenly all your laptops doing it at once then its more likely the router unless you changed something on the laptops all at the same time.

are you able to login to the router or modem? if yes check the wan ip on both.

No, every Lan device is getting the 169 ip, my router dir615 ddwrt, is getting a wan ip address of 0.0.0.0 :sleep:

So have you tried doing a direct connection to the modem.
Laptop <----> Modem

So the router is Not being used.

Does it work then?
Also you will need to restart the modem.

yup, tried, ive also tried changing my mac address, no change.

If you open up the command prompt and do an ipconfig /renew you will get an error.

What is that error ?

An eror occured while releasing the interface Local Area Connection: An address has not been asociated with the network endpoint

You could try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196

Nope didnt work masque

Ive also tried keeping it offline for 8hr, as I read somewhere it put the ip/mac back in the pool or something, and give you a new one, but nothings changed.

Kinda getting annoyed now

Nopanic
27-03-2011, 11:16
hmmm .. installed a firewall recently ? or security software?

anc1en7z
27-03-2011, 11:22
hmmm .. installed a firewall recently ? or security software?

Nope, nothing :/

oh and i reinstalled win7, so ive got a good feeling its the modem

Nopanic
27-03-2011, 11:25
Don't know what to suggest then mate, it does sound like its something local though, if no device can give a lease to you PCs.

In the old days we used to delete the network driver and let windows reinstall it .. not sure if thats a valid option with Win7 as it will probably remember the settings ..

Sorry

anc1en7z
27-03-2011, 11:35
Ok then,

Just have to wait for another modem to come through -.-

4 days without internet, *sigh*

Peter_
27-03-2011, 11:38
Ok then,

Just have to wait for another modem to come through -.-

4 days without internet, *sigh*
Have they ordered a modem as it is usually next day plus 24 hours so maybe Wednesday.

Nopanic
27-03-2011, 11:42
New modem doesn't make sense though, if the modem and the router don't give out an IP (unless you broke them both) why would a new one ?

Peter_
27-03-2011, 11:44
New modem doesn't make sense though, if the modem and the router don't give out an IP (unless you broke them both) why would a new one ?
I know but it breaks the circle and then he can look at his router.

It might be a good idea to take the coax out of the modem connect direct and reboot the modem to see if he gets a 169ip or a 192ip.

Chrysalis
27-03-2011, 12:03
wan ip of 0.0.0.0 is wrong.

you sure you looking at the actual ip and not just the setting?

anc1en7z
27-03-2011, 12:24
Right, I believe that a new modem will fix the problem.
The modem i have now, is connecting fine to virgin media, but its dhcp server is not giving out the right ip addresses.

My router gives my pc an internal ip, but it does not get an ip off the modem, be it internal or external.

Nopanic
27-03-2011, 13:22
Right, I believe that a new modem will fix the problem.
The modem i have now, is connecting fine to virgin media, but its dhcp server is not giving out the right ip addresses.

My router gives my pc an internal ip, but it does not get an ip off the modem, be it internal or external.

Which modem do you have ? the modem wont give you an IP, the IP is a public IP given from the systems DHCP.

If your PC is getting a 169 when connected to a router then the modem can not be to blame. From a VM side the two reasons for a 169 are either a duplicate MAC, and thats the NIC MAC not the modem MAC, or a leasing issue, which wouldn't be sorted by a new modem.

Chrysalis
27-03-2011, 15:18
as nopanic said this has no bearing as to why your laptops fail to get a proper ip from your router.

I feel we have incomplete information as you very slow to respond and with only bits of information at a time thats inconsistent.

zekeisaszekedoes
27-03-2011, 23:45
It might be a good idea to take the coax out of the modem connect direct and reboot the modem to see if he gets a 169ip or a 192ip.

Modem direct to computer via ethernet will give it the WAN IP, not 192.x.x.x which is a private address (i.e. LAN IP). Assuming all is well, of course. ;)

Nopanic
27-03-2011, 23:47
Modem direct to computer via ethernet will give it the WAN IP, not 192.x.x.x which is a private address (i.e. LAN IP). Assuming all is well, of course. ;)

Removing the coax will give a 192 as the modems DHCP will kick in, if the PC is able to accept a lease. As per Masque post.

anc1en7z
27-03-2011, 23:59
Removing the coax will give a 192 as the modems DHCP will kick in, if the PC is able to accept a lease. As per Masque post.

This is what happens with me :|

Nopanic
28-03-2011, 08:50
This is what happens with me :|

:confused: you said you got 169's no matter how you set it up ?

Replacing the modem wont sort a 169, the problem is lease side then. If in fact this is whats happening ..

anc1en7z
28-03-2011, 09:05
Ima getting out an engineeer, he'll be able to fix it, wont't he?

Nopanic
28-03-2011, 09:17
Ima getting out an engineeer, he'll be able to fix it, wont't he?

To be honest mate, with all the different things you've described, I have no idea.

If you get a valid lease with the coax removed, then no the tech wont be able to fix it, as there is an issue with the CMTS leasing to you.

I'm confused though now .. lets see what happens with the tech ..

Chrysalis
28-03-2011, 14:19
What I think is happening now is I was originally wrong and it seems to be a laptop problem, but however to affect to 2 seperate machines at one is very unusual which makles me suspect something was installed on both of those laptops at the same time or a setting changed.

I suspect the WAN ip is actually fine on the router and modem and confusion has led to thinking it isnt, 0.0.0.0 wont be an assigned ip but a configuration box may list that as it usually means auto detect ip (DHCP). If my memory serves me right if changing device connected to the cable modem then the modem should be rebooted as my modem didnt like me swapping devices around without a reboot, so if the modem wasnt rebooted then it may explain why the laptops failed when connected direct to it (possibly meaning router to blame) otherwise it looks like the laptops are issue. It would be very bizarre if the modem was whats broken here.

anc1en7z
28-03-2011, 17:44
Can't be the laptops and wireless router.

I never changed any setting on laptop 1, and it will not get a valid ip.

Laptop 2 was off and had'nt been on for 2 days prior, again I had chnaged no settings.

I tried rebooting, usually when I change device connected to my router a reboot makes them connect but that never happened this time.

Chrysalis
28-03-2011, 18:49
well a router will give lan ip's to connected devices regardless of what the modem is doing assuming its in NAT mode.

Peter_
28-03-2011, 20:31
I take it you read Nopanic's post about that.;):D

Nopanic
29-03-2011, 08:03
We seem to be going round in circles here ..

Modem to PC - 169
Modem to router to PC - 169
Modem to router to PC no2 - 169

Modem rebooted between devices - 169

Modem appears to be locking on correctly to VM (according to your post)

Can you get hold of another laptop ? and connect it to the modem? rebooting the modem first ?

Could it be your have wireless turned on and you're looking at the wrong device address ?

anc1en7z
29-03-2011, 10:13
Eingeneer came out today, swapped my router with a hub, vmdg280.

This fixed the problem so, yeah, i have my broadband now, but thanks to everyone for help :)

Nopanic
29-03-2011, 18:08
swapped the router with a hub ? or swapped the modem with a hub ?

craigj2k12
29-03-2011, 19:05
surely both the modem and router were swapped? the vmng280 is a combined modem/router isnt it?

Nopanic
29-03-2011, 19:42
surely both the modem and router were swapped? the vmng280 is a combined modem/router isnt it?

The router belongs to the customer doesn't it ? the one he had ..

Yeah the 280 and 480 are combined, but ... ah you know .. its working .. :cool:

craigj2k12
29-03-2011, 20:06
if it was supplied by VM, then its the property of VM. from what iv heard they dont usually get taken away, but VM are well within their right to take them

Peter_
29-03-2011, 20:11
The router was a D Link DIR615 so probably one of ours and usually the engineer would leave it as they do not get reissued unlike modems.

craigj2k12
29-03-2011, 20:14
but presumably the engineer is within his rights to take it?

Peter_
29-03-2011, 20:16
but presumably the engineer is within his rights to take it?
So do if you let them.

craigj2k12
29-03-2011, 20:20
so back to the OP's situation, the engineer has replaced the modem and router with the combined hub, and all is sorted

Digital Fanatic
29-03-2011, 20:23
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/09/26.gif

zekeisaszekedoes
30-03-2011, 17:07
I take it you read Nopanic's post about that.;):D

Yep. I'd forgotten the modem gives a private DHCP IP if there's no cable WAN connection.

The router was a D Link DIR615 so probably one of ours and usually the engineer would leave it as they do not get reissued unlike modems.

Yeah, and credit where it is due the DIR-615 is a great bit of kit. My thanks to VM for flooding the market with them as the D2s now turn up for very little money. :D

anc1en7z
30-03-2011, 20:30
hahaha I meant that they took the MODEM, and replaced it with a VMDG280

I must of typo's with the excitement of having working broadband! :)

So now I have the VMDG downstairs and the DIR615 running ddwrt upstairs in a repeater bridge.