PDA

View Full Version : ADSL ADSL problem possible throttling?

Rattus
25-03-2011, 13:49
Looking for an answer from someone at virgin really.

At work we currently share a virgin adsl connection in an small incubator facility.

We're having the oddest problem, every morning from around 8-1:30pm our connection drops on speedtest etc to about 0.5mb, with pings north of 1100ms. Then at about 1:30 we get back to what we should have, and that's about 6mb.

We have a server on the network provided by our landlords, and maintained by a local company. But we're having no luck getting either of them to investigate the problem. We've had virgin out and they tested the line and it's ok.

The only thing i can think of is that the server has a barracuda backup which appears to be being done at 8pm in the evening. Why they chose this time i don't know but hey ho. Could this be causing issues? My thinking is the backup is happening at peak times, which might then cause our connection to be "managed" for the rest of the day.

What are the current traffic management policies on 8mb adsl connections?

Chris
25-03-2011, 13:56
ADSL traffic management occurs during peak hours (4pm-10pm). See here: http://www.virgin.net/allyours/faqs/trafficManagementFAQ.html

It sounds to me as if something else is scheduled to run at those times and is soaking up all your bandwidth ... perhaps you should check your PCs and your server to see what it might be.

Is there anyone outside your lab sharing the same connection?

Rattus
25-03-2011, 14:17
ADSL traffic management occurs during peak hours (4pm-10pm). See here: http://www.virgin.net/allyours/faqs/trafficManagementFAQ.html

It sounds to me as if something else is scheduled to run at those times and is soaking up all your bandwidth ... perhaps you should check your PCs and your server to see what it might be.

Is there anyone outside your lab sharing the same connection?

It's odd, cause there are 4 companies, sharing the connection, but we're all the same people that has been using the connection for 3 years, so nothing new really, other than the barracuda backup. We're not heavy users, about as heavy as it get's would be streaming six music or whatever.

Infact we were on 2mb and only got upgraded to upto 8 a month ago, and the problems started around that time. It seems to be like clockwork, morning crap, afternoon fine.

RobboEdin
25-03-2011, 14:59
Is this a business connection? Is the traffic management different on a business connection?

Rattus
25-03-2011, 15:03
Is this a business connection? Is the traffic management different on a business connection?

yes it's a business connection. Not sure if the throttling is different. Not even sure if other than the VAT receipts there is any difference in the connection.